Cree and Flupic

chadwide

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done this mod? I have a q2 bin on the way, and I like the multiple outputs of the flupic, but I'm worried about the current of the burst mode. I'm having a hard time finding out the Flupics draw in Burst.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering about this very thing. From the cree data-sheets, IIRC, 750ma was the max under constant load, yet under pulsed I believe it was 1A. Newbie did some tests where he got some crees well over 1A but I haven't read the entire thread to see what the conditions were.

The sad thing is my Q3 just got upgraded to a UX1J, now it is begging for a P3 or higher Cree-XR.

Sincerely,

Shaman

chadwide

Newly Enlightened
I did see Newbies thread. I'm pretty confident that It could run at 1.2 amps for a few minutes. I'd even be confortable with 1.5. My worry is that Burst on the flupic might be direct drive, which would have the led seeing more than 2 amps.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Crees are similar to the LuxIII and they handle heat better, I woudln't be afraid to drive them like we do with LuxIII.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the FluPICs use a microcontroller to PWM either one or two LDO regulators. The LDOs are rated for a nominal current, however, they can fluxuate a fair bit (like the Vfs of emitters).

It is the LDOs that limit the current that passed through the driver. On all the settings except BURST, only one LDO is enabled. The Hi/Lo settings are just variations in the percentage the LDO is enabled vs disabled.

On BURST mode, both LDOs are enabled 100% duty cycle.

The LDOs are in parallel so the current through them is additive.

Most of the FLuPICs I have seen have LDOs in the range of 450-625mA. (900-1250mA on burst). They are great little products and don't take up much room.

HTH,

Paul

chadwide

Newly Enlightened
Goldserve, I can't PM you, your box is full. Are the Flupics still available on the 15.24 mm board?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goldserve - tried to PM this to you but your box is full so I'll try here as this is pretty much on topic. I recently got a FluPic board though that is a FluPic Rev. 1 board made for a Q3 size light - it's going to get an XR-E sandwiched with it. Is there a message thread or place you have info on how to wire up to this board. I can send a pic if needed but there are are several solder points I'm not sure about or do I only need to use the Led + and the Gnd for the LED and the other side center for battery positive and outside ring for battery negative? Are the features similar to Rev 2.1 or is there a chart of how to get around with this one? Thanks for any info on this - it's going to have an XR-E on it :)
And to everyone else here - I'm fairly sure you don't have any worries even with burst mode to an XR-E that is heatsinked.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please e-mail to goldserve AT gmail DOT com

I am on a business trip to China right and I've given up on the PM.

You can use the CPF send e-mail function. Thanks.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just built a FluPIC for a fellow CPF'er (who shall remain nameless unless he speaks up). All I can say is WOW! On burst, this is nothing less than spectacular especially when used with an RCR123. The output to size ratio is phenomenal. I would not recommend running on HIGH for extended periods though. The HIGH is good for those moments when you want to remind yourself that Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus :D

JanCPF

Enlightened
CM said:
I just built a FluPIC for a fellow CPF'er (who shall remain nameless unless he speaks up). All I can say is WOW! On burst, this is nothing less than spectacular especially when used with an RCR123. The output to size ratio is phenomenal. I would not recommend running on HIGH for extended periods though. The HIGH is good for those moments when you want to remind yourself that Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus :D
I'm here :wave: I haven't yet got much to contribute to this thread though, but I can return with some real outdoor experience when CM is done playing with MY LIGHT :whoopin: Just kidding :D

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Dang, these popcorn are making me fat. :whistle: :D

Jan

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jan, since your light is packed and ready to go, I started using my A19 again but I keep trying to move between brightness levels. No can do, it's got a Wiz2 :( The temptation to open the package and use your light is killing me :devil:

JanCPF

Enlightened
Cris, if you keep pressing the monetary button real fast with the right duty cycle, you'll have infinate brightness levels to choose from :devil: :devil:

Okay that was cruel - I'm sorry. :whoopin: <-Me

I'm looking forward to yet again hold in my hands one of CM's great creations :bow:

Last edited: