Gladius for Camping

Gromulus

Newly Enlightened
Ok, still a "noobie" here but I have been playing around with my Gladius and Surefire FM34 beamshaper for several weeks now. The more I use it the more I like it. A longer learning curve than with my other lights but it's beceome second nature now. The FM34 really gives it a dual use.

This weekend my wife and youngest daughter went camping in the Allegheny National Forest in PA - one of our favorite spots. While we always primitive camp (and in tents for the past 25 years) we did buy a Chalet A-frame hardsided folding camper a couple of years back. Still out in the middle of nowhere but with a fridge, indoor stove, lights, and furnace! The furnace came in handy when the night temps got down into the mid 30's!

Back to torches. I am a big proponent of the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA and 3C Luxeon models. I have several 4AA models and keep one in each vehicle but during camping trips I am usually "armed" with the 3C and my Apex headlamp.

I brought my Gladius and FM34 beamshaper with me as well and was very surprised how useful this combination was around camp. The FM34 rendered a nice flood for general camp use and I could just flip down the cover for throwing power when my daughter thought she heard a bear in the woods! (there is an old story there). While the 3C still has more throw, it didn't seem like much of an advantage around camp as it does at home with more open spaces. The wide flood via the FM34 was very useful. I still like my ProPolys for their bright yellow color and great runtimes but I must say the Gladius/FM34 combo was more useful.

Really glad I got this light - especially with the Mod-U-Lok holster for $130 from LA PoliceGear!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally concur about the Gladius + FM34. I'm really, really tempted to pick up another one. I found it to be a great trail and camping light in conjunction with the FM34.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
+ 1 on the above: I like the Gladius + FM34 too, but I only had it on for a little while because for me the Gladius has enough sidespill as is.

The x200a is a completely different kettle of fish: I'd like to try a beamshaper on that.