Capstar new Flea med for your dog

cy

Flashaholic
Took my 98 lb German Shepard to the vet today. He had a ear infection and hot spot. Vet gave a shot to stop itching and antibiotics.

but also gave me a new single tablet for fleas. works within 30 minutes. almost all the fleas will drop from dog within 3-4 hours. be sure and keep dog outside when fleas are jumping off. have never seen flea medication work so fast and effective.

anyways... wanted to share a few new flea technologies with everyone. pill was $10 each at vet VS $2 ea. purchased in 5 pack.

-------------------------------------

Nitenpyram (Capstar) is a relatively new product, and its effects last approximately 24 hours. However, it begins to kill fleas within 20 minutes of application, with 100% flea control in 3 to 4 hours. By contrast the topical monthly products take at least 24 hours to approach 100% of the fleas being killed. It is given in pill form, seems to be really safe, and can be used in conjunction with other flea products. One popular use is to give a pill if the dog may have been exposed to fleas somewhere (show, boarding kennel, vet, trail, groomer) to any animal over 4 weeks and/or 2lbs. in weight, so that it does not bring them back to its home environment.

http://www.beaconforhealth.org/Fleas_Ticks_Infections.htm

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Capstar? Is it from the makers of Napster? :p

One must wonder what such a chemical is that makes fleas drop in a few hours from the dog eating the medication!! Sounds like pretty potent stuff, I wonder how safe something like that can be? Just amazes me.

Wouldn't a flea dip do the same thing and possibly be more safe? Although not as convenient....

Interesting none the less.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip. Now I need to see if my vet carries this pill.

cy

Flashaholic
according to documentation it's suppose to be safe enough to give every day.

no way I'm doing that, my dog is going back on filpronil (frontline) for maintenance. only vet recommended splitting dose. 1/2 on neck, 1/2 near rear end.

it's flat amazing for something to work that fast. it does work, personally saw fleas drop off en mass within four hours. He's pretty much flea free now.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
What else does it do? Frontline breaks the cycle and kills the fleas. After about a year I stopped using it on my fenced in dog. Now he shows up with them maybe once in two years, one shot and he's good for another two or more.

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
I highly recommend capstar. 1800petmeds has them in stock and the cheapest. Order the size for the largest dogs and break them into 1/4 pills. You do not have to use the recommended dosage to get 100%, and I MEAN 100% kill in 4 hours. When my cats had a horrible flea infestation, we gave them this every 4 days (letting the fleas in our yard jump back on them. Broke the cycle

cy

Flashaholic
my Vet charged me $10 for one Capstar pill. at first I was a little miffed, as their cost was less than $2 for lots of 100 pills.

but it was worth the steep charges to find out about this new med. needless to say, I'll never pay the $10 per pill again.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Active Ingredients:
CAPSTAR Tablets contain 11.4 or 57.0 mg of nitenpyram, which belongs to the chemical class of neonicotinoids. Nitenpyram kills adult fleas. "

mm. the 11.4mg is for kittens over 2 lbs. and for dogs under 25 lbs. the 57 mg is for dogs over 25 lbs..

..the instructions say if you give a dose in food and aren't sure the animal ate it, it's safe to give a second dose..and you can dose every day..so it SEEMS pretty safe..and buying the 57mg pill, which is available for 100 for <$200. and cutting it into 5 equal pieces seems like away to get it much cheaper..

any one with a grain scale wanna group buy? ;)

cy

Flashaholic
ya.. thought it was pretty high! got a $90 vet bill, only $25 was for the exam. rest was for meds.....

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like it should be pretty safe, next time our cats start having a problem I will look into it.

The lethal dose for rats is available, at over 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight administered orally. And a rat is pretty small. The dose for dogs is no where near a dangerous level it looks like. And they say it is completely eliminated after 48 hours (no longer at a level necessary to kill fleas in 24) so it would be virtually impossible to build up a dangerous dose by giving it to your animal every so often. I am a fan of chemicals and medicines in general that do their job and get out of your system as quickly as possible.

Doesn't do anything for ticks or other mites though. So other treatments will still be necessary for that.

gorn

Enlightened
cy said:
according to documentation it's suppose to be safe enough to give every day.

Cy,

I talked to my Daughter who is the head Vet Tech for a local animal emergency hospital. She said that Capstar is great but should only be given one time, then the animal should be treated with frontline. If you give your pet daily doses it will cause kidney and liver damage.

So it sounds like you are on the right track to get rid of those annoying fleas. She also says you should spray your yard for fleas, but you need to be careful because some of the products used to kill fleas in the yard is toxic to cats.

cy

Flashaholic
that's exactly what my vet said and what I intend to do. one dose and follow up with frontline.

here's from maker Novartis site:

Weight of Dog or Cat Dose (Tablets)
1 to 11 kg One small (11.4 mg) tablet per day, until fleas are no longer found on the host.
> 11 to 57 kg One large (57 mg) tablet per day, until fleas are no longer found on the host.

http://www.ah.ca.novartis.com/product/capstarmono.html

gorn said:
Cy,

I talked to my Daughter who is the head Vet Tech for a local animal emergency hospital. She said that Capstar is great but should only be given one time, then the animal should be treated with frontline. If you give your pet daily doses it will cause kidney and liver damage.

So it sounds like you are on the right track to get rid of those annoying fleas. She also says you should spray your yard for fleas, but you need to be careful because some of the products used to kill fleas in the yard is toxic to cats.