My First Night Dive

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I had been scuba diving only twice when a friend suggested a "night dive". Being enthusiastic about the sport and having "this will be fun attitude", I readily accepted the challenge.

It was late and a dark, on a cold moonless night as we walked the 200 metres to the end of the deserted jetty. This was to signal the start of our first night dive. It was only a six-foot drop to the water, but I looked with some trepidation, into what appeared as a black abyss. On with the masks, air on and dive lights on. I had made sure that I took a spare light, call me the cautious type. My primary light was an UK 4D, which in my opinion was blindingly bright. How wrong I was.

Hit the water, gave the OK signal to my dive buddy and down we went. Whoa, it was dark, pitch black, chilling water, nothing except the narrow light beam which seemed pitifully lacking. My buddy's light was far worse than mine was. After a few minutes the combination of total blackness, the cold and the sense of perceived imminent danger, was very unnerving.

As I moved slowly through the mass I started feeling a sense of calm. The only noise was that of my breathing and the gush of the expelled air whistling past my ears. I was now seeing further into the distance, as I became accustomed to the pitch environment. An octopus, soft coral and myriads of different fish were all caught in my artificial light. Before I long, the dive was over and we followed the jetty to shore.

This was a serendipitous, new and enjoyable experience. I was totally dependent on my light. Not only was it was my communication with my buddy, but also it allowed me to monitor gauges and ascent rates. Needless to say I upgraded the 6.8W to 18W for subsequent dives.
Best night dive on Barrier Reef, Queensland, 28C-water temp, and 40+ metres viz.

After hundreds of dives, the occasional ones at night are still, to me, the most enjoyable (GF does not share this sentiment). Of course I EDC on ALL dives to check out fish hiding spots and as the water filters out red light, to see the true colours. Maybe a rose coloured mask would brighten things up.

Suggestion: The next time your on holidays or just down the beach, and its dark, grab a mask/snorkel and your favourite WATERPROOF light and give it a go. You won't be disappointed.
shocked.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the offer yclo.

A red 5mW laser might be fun.