Drop-in for Craftsman 19.2V Light?

CanadianGuy

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Tried a quick search for "craftsman 19.2" and came up with nothing about whether I can find a good drop-in LED bulb for my work light. I don't expect it to be as bright (ie. throw) as the 19.2 V bulb in it right now, but I would imagine a luxeon would be pretty close in brightness?

Any recommendations would be great. I don't want to spend a lot of money (although I'd like to) but I'm finding the runtime kinda poor.

Oh, and I can probably have it shipped to a friend in the US, and have them bring it across to Canada.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

CanadianGuy

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, anybody??

Even if I can get an everled or something and modify my light (resistors or something?) Any guidance would be great.

Also, I was given an Everled that didn't work from the start. Was told it didn't work in their 6V lantern. Has a diamond on it (reverse polarity) but does this mean that if it was put in a normal polarity light that it' popped?

Thanks!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
TerraLUX has a replacement coming out for 18V units any day now - we're awaiting our first shipment - they're called the TollStar TS-18. Not sure if they can handle 19.2V yet though...

21 LED's 30-hours runtime according to the packaging.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
How about 700 lumens? Edison Opto has a 20W star with a Vf of 18.5. It won't have a very focused beam, but it may put out more light than an ROP hotwire mod. You maybe able to run it direct- drive, or perhaps with only a small resistor and not even need a converter.

See it Here

If you reach the folks at EO, tell us all what you find out! You might just start something here.

Bernie
Bernie

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
MattK said:
TerraLUX has a replacement coming out for 18V units any day now - we're awaiting our first shipment - they're called the TollStar TS-18. Not sure if they can handle 19.2V yet though...

This would be fantastic. Looking forward to an upgrade for my Milwaukee 18 Volt light. With 2.4AH at 18 volts, should be a great light.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure the bulb in my 18v Milwaukee light isn't actually driven at 18v. I'll crack it open tomorrow to confirm.

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
Valpo Hawkeye said:
I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure the bulb in my 18v Milwaukee light isn't actually driven at 18v. I'll crack it open tomorrow to confirm.

I tried a Nite-Ize MAG 3D LED in the light and blew it up (silly me), so it does seem to drive more than 4.5V. Looking forward to seeing the measurements.

I have a voltmeter. What was I thinking.

Vickers

Enlightened
diesel_dad said:
I have a voltmeter. What was I thinking.

lol

I've blown up a few bulbs recently, and I have a regulated (and calibrated) DC power supply on my bench...d'oh!

Hang in there, we'll figger it out.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
MattK said:

I just checked it out at their site ... okay, need to ask some noob questions:

- if powering this drop in with more than 18V then you run the risk of blowing them up, right?

- if powering them with less than 18V then you run the risk of undervolting therefore may not even light them up?

As you can telll ... i'm no electrical engineer.

I'm just wondering because I have an old sears craftsman drill combo that I thought it would be a neat learning experience to try doing some (a) battery pack rebuilding (15.6V) and (b) retrofit an led drop in for the bulb for the flashlight.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you might have blown something. :O You have a 19.2 volt light and used an 18 volt light.

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
Well a Osram OSTAR emitter will go with 19-20 quiete well. It is specified to around 20V so you don´t need any converter. Perhaps you want to wait a little bit and grab the new version that should come out in 3 month. Then you have a efficent 1000 Lumen device.

cheers
MikeRD03

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
Nitroz said:
Sounds like you might have blown something. :O You have a 19.2 volt light and used an 18 volt light.

I was using an 18 volt Milwaukee tool light. The physical design of the head also places the leds very close to the lens.

I do not think it is blown -- the light comes on for a blink every time I try -- then it goes out.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
diesel_dad said:
I was using an 18 volt Milwaukee tool light. The physical design of the head also places the leds very close to the lens.

I do not think it is blown -- the light comes on for a blink every time I try -- then it goes out.

Oooops, it was early in the morning and the reading comprehension got me. I thought you were the OP. :)

Maybe it is a bad one.

myk

Enlightened
diesel_dad said:

Terralux has EXCELLENT CS every time i've contacted them the problem has been quickly responded to and fixed

Nebula

Enlightened

Matt - I may have missed it. Is there an update on this 18V unit? Thanks. Kirk

Nebula

Enlightened
Matt - Sorry, my post was confusing (should not have used that quote with the referrence to 19.2). What I should have asked is whether TLux ever brought the 18V drop-in to market. I checked the web site and did not find anything on the TollStar 18V drop-in. Thanks. Kirk