my first LED swap SUCCESS!! (now with beamshot comparisons!)

mdocod

Flashaholic
I've been wanting to do something to my 3D Dorcy 1W for awhile, it has great heat-sinking so I figured it could handle more oomf..

I successfully desoldered the lousy lux it came with, (horrific green tint).. and resoldered in the one that came in my Task-Force 3xAAA 1W(near perfect white, very slight blue).... I also removed the resistor from the path.... but will probably want to put something back in there(maybe)... it's running ~1.2A from 3xNIMH D cells... overdrive crazy... it's now nearly as bright as my LEDBEAMS.... I've heard people say that that luxI emiters are basically the same as luxIII... only difference being that the luxIII has better thermal path...

I think the LuxI should hold up for awhile like this... we'll see...

this is a throw monster now!!

I'm thinking this would be a good host for a U-bin. now just to find one... lol..

[edit in]
I had some free time tonight after work... So I decided to put together some comparison shots...
the first comparison shows a shot of the LEDBEAM and the DORCY as it was stock a few months ago... I couldn't remember the exposure time then.. so I don't have any DIRECT comparisons from the old to the modified DORCY.. but the LEDBEAM acts as a point of reference... the second set contains several exposure settings of the same LEDBEAM compared to the modified DORCY...
As you can see... the tint is a WHOLE lot better, the brightness is not as good as a luxIII driven that hard (the LEDBEAM runs about that same power, 1.2amps not uncommon)... but still a pretty suprising change.
before.jpg

after.jpg

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: my first LED swap SUCCESS!!

nice job! any beamshots?

mdocod

Flashaholic
Re: my first LED swap SUCCESS!!

if I have a chance to take some beamshots i'll definetally post em... might be awhile.... working 7 days a week latally... hehe.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Just goes to show lowes really make sure their LED lights are WHITE seems like all of them are, my TaskForce 3 Watt is the whitest led I got, whiter than what came in my Inova X03 and either of my 2 Advanced Autoparts 3 Watts. Good job looks like an improvement, let us know if it burns out, or seems to dim from being over driven.

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
i have two of the dorcys and i put two t-bins 3 watt in. they are way better the my 3 d mag light. i have ran three sets of batt with no resistor in placeon the t-bins and all good. and befor that i ran the 1 watt with out a resistor for a very long time. i what to put a new cree or a u-bin in them. or a 5 watt with aa's.

mdocod

Flashaholic
new cree would probably be the way to go... too bad they are so sensative to voltage variation... current regulation is almost a MUST with them....