Any headlamp as bright as the Surge?

FNG

Enlightened
Is there any Princeton Tec headlamp as bright as the surge? I just got the Aurora today and im pretty satisfied with it. I just lost my Attitude so this is kind a replacement for it. Im sure itll show up somewhere.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Surge & a roll of duct tape??
wink2.gif
TX

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Aurora and it's just the ticket for "lightweight light". It's also compact and bright enough to make a good headlight for an "emergency kit". Lithiums AAA's (when available) should make it rock.

But if more power for less money appeals to you, get the Rayovac "Kid's Adventure" headlamp at walmart for $6.47 and put in a $15 Luxeon. This is an easy mod since all you have to do is file a little bit more out of the screw slots of a LS/o. Then solder on the leads and trim out the plastic "locator" (for the backplate) in the body. Then the Luxeon will mount to the body using the stock screws and holes!

Insert a pair of Lithium AA's and you should get run-time & brightness equivilent to a CMG reactor for only $23..

I built one of these and it's my "most used mod" mostly because I wear it when assembling small circut boards or other things where slight shadows make a big difference. Highly recommended..

FNG

Enlightened
How much more brighter would it be? Brighter than both the Attitude and Aurora?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FNG:
How much more brighter would it be? Brighter than both the Attitude and Aurora?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have a light meter, but I'd say it's easily more than twice as bright as both the Attitude and Aurora (I have both). It's also quite a bit brighter than an INOVA X5 too.

If you get a chance to see beamshots of a CMG Reactor on lithiums, it should be roughly the same as this mod..

The hardest part is soldering the 2 wires.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi FNG, none of PT headlamp is as bright as Surge. The cloest would be the Vortec with 3D bulb and NiMH. This setup is much brighter than Switchback.

Switchback is good for tasks that require reliable, waterproof, long runtime, and built-in LED. This could be ideal for caving and general backpacking.

However, its 7.5W claims is way beyond exaggeration. PT has realized this and changed its spec to *up to 5W* in their web lately. 5W is still way exaggerated unless its bulb is extremely inefficient. If the light could provide same brightness as vortec with 3D lamp and NiMH, this would be my dream light.

Alan

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a NiteIze headband and slip in a 2 or 3 cell 3V lithium cell flashlight of your choice, an X5 or any 3AA tubular LED light.

The only thing the side mount is awkward for is close in work.

Your EDC can go easily on your head.

FNG

Enlightened
WOW. They just keeping getting more and more expensive.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TTS:
Txwest

What if you want to take it off?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Depends on how much hair you have now, & how much you want after you take it off...
grin.gif
TX

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slick:
I have an Aurora and it's just the ticket for "lightweight light". It's also compact and bright enough to make a good headlight for an "emergency kit". Lithiums AAA's (when available) should make it rock.

But if more power for less money appeals to you, get the Rayovac "Kid's Adventure" headlamp at walmart for $6.47 and put in a $15 Luxeon. This is an easy mod since all you have to do is file a little bit more out of the screw slots of a LS/o. Then solder on the leads and trim out the plastic "locator" (for the backplate) in the body. Then the Luxeon will mount to the body using the stock screws and holes!

Insert a pair of Lithium AA's and you should get run-time & brightness equivilent to a CMG reactor for only $23..

I built one of these and it's my "most used mod" mostly because I wear it when assembling small circut boards or other things where slight shadows make a big difference. Highly recommended..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Slick,

Have you tried that LS with NiMH (I assume yours is white)? I have two of those kidlamp mods you describe, one red, one red/orange, and they both kick a$$ - better than Aurora, but not as wide. I don't have a white LS, so I'm wondering whether the voltage would be too low, as I've heard the Reactor is no good on NiMH.

PS. I don't think the Aurora was designed for lithiums. I think that might blow the LEDs. I wonder the same thing about the Arc.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan:
Hi FNG, none of PT headlamp is as bright as Surge. The cloest would be the Vortec with 3D bulb and NiMH. This setup is much brighter than Switchback.

Switchback is good for tasks that require reliable, waterproof, long runtime, and built-in LED. This could be ideal for caving and general backpacking.

However, its 7.5W claims is way beyond exaggeration. PT has realized this and changed its spec to *up to 5W* in their web lately. 5W is still way exaggerated unless its bulb is extremely inefficient. If the light could provide same brightness as vortec with 3D lamp and NiMH, this would be my dream light.

Alan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan,

I'm surprised about the Switchback. I don't have one, but I've seen one, and the head looks like a Surge head. I know others reported the bulb is dimmer, but I didn't know it was that much dimmer. Makes me wonder why they bothered to design a Surge head onto it in the first place.
confused.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
Slick,

Have you tried that LS with NiMH (I assume yours is white)? I have two of those kidlamp mods you describe, one red, one red/orange, and they both kick a$$ - better than Aurora, but not as wide. I don't have a white LS, so I'm wondering whether the voltage would be too low, as I've heard the Reactor is no good on NiMH.

PS. I don't think the Aurora was designed for lithiums. I think that might blow the LEDs. I wonder the same thing about the Arc.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Luxeon is dreadfully dim on 2 AA NiMh's... The lithiums are defitely the way to go for 2 cells. If you can run 3 AA cells, NiMh's work wonderfully. You get 3.6 volts, and unregulated the LS will pull far more than it's rated 350Ma - more like 700-850
shocked.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FNG:
Hey Slick, do you have AIM?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I have ICQ on my home computer tho, but rarely ever use it...

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
Alan,

I'm surprised about the Switchback. I don't have one, but I've seen one, and the head looks like a Surge head. I know others reported the bulb is dimmer, but I didn't know it was that much dimmer. Makes me wonder why they bothered to design a Surge head onto it in the first place.
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess the big head is due to its built-in LED, regulated circuit (for LED) and circuit for high/low beam. Another possible reason is that they expected high heat generated by its *over-optimistic* 7W+ high beam:-(

Alan

Steelhead

Newly Enlightened
Try a blackdiamond headlamp.
Their best model has xenon bulb and regulated led all in the same reflector head.
The top model also allows 3 levels of brightness control for the xenon bulb and 3 different xenon bulbs. extended life, bright, and super bright rated to 120 meters. Very compact and well designed.
STEELHEAD