Frosted Glass As Efficient As SureFire Beamshaper?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I have read that the SureFire Beamshapers are pretty efficient at light transmission. I was wondering if frosted glass might work as well.

Or, could a guy just take a clear window and sand it with 400-grit paper or similar?

Scott

Topper

Flashaholic*
I tried using glass etching cream and it worked great ....well it would be great however I left it on longer than I should have and would have liked it more if I had washed it off sooner but it does work.
Topper :)

Flea Bag

Enlightened
I don't have experience with the alternatives but the overall efficiency of SureFire's FM series beamshapers depends on the beam characteristics and bezel diameter of the related flashlight. Some combinations result in the frames of the FMxx beamshapers blocking a lot of sidespill, thus affecting overall output more significantly.

Do you have a specific setup in which you plan on diffusing the beam with?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flea Bag said:
Do you have a specific setup in which you plan on diffusing the beam with?

Not really. The F04 beamshapers get loose after a while, and the bigger ones are pretty bulky. I thought it might be nice to have a coin-shaped diffuser that could be slipped in the front of the bezel for reading, etc. -- something that would fit in a pocket or map case better than the SureFire devices.

Scott

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
beezaur said:
Not really. The F04 beamshapers get loose after a while, and the bigger ones are pretty bulky. I thought it might be nice to have a coin-shaped diffuser that could be slipped in the front of the bezel for reading, etc. -- something that would fit in a pocket or map case better than the SureFire devices.

Scott

Yeah, I noticed that..... I also have an FMxx red filter for my 8NX, and they're much bulkier than they need to be.

I might try rehousing my F04 diffuser lens in a cutout Butler Creek rifle scope cover, they are a much snugge fit on the bezel, and nowhere neasr as bulky as any of the SF offerings.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
beezaur said:

Scott

Perhaps you could find a way of misting or roughing a sheet of clear plastic transparency, the kind used for overhead projectors in lectures or the more expensive variety used as PDA/iPod screen protectors. With some luck, the plastic sheet will stick to the window purely from static attraction.

It'll be delicate but easily reversible and hopefully heat won't cause it to peel or yellow too much. As long as it isn't folded or significantly creased, it should continue to stick well and slide cleanly off when not needed.

Latest posts