RCR123 in a Nuwai with Luxeon V

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using a RCR123 in my Q3 and like the light it puts out. It gets a little warm but hasn't started smoking yet. :)
I've been searching a couple of hrs. this morning on whether it's a good idea to use rechargeables in my Nuwai with the LV, but haven't come up with anything. Does anybody have any info on this?

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
Here is a link I found when researching the same issue:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/126681

FYI, I've been running mine with rcr123's lately. Definitely gets hot if the light is just sitting around (no airflow). Seems to keep plenty cool when run as a handlebar light for a bike, though.

I just modded my 301X-5 w/ a WW0T last night (replaced a VYAS). Very bright w/ the RCR123's. Also, gets hot to the touch after a few minutes. Hoping to manage the heat better, I plan to swap out the stock heatsink, but I don't know if it is necessary.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/133994&highlight=qiii+heatsink

I'm also considering a two-stage switch mod, but haven't found anything specific to the 301X-5.

baker

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Nake and welcome to CPF:)

I own a Nuwai ALX352-L and it works with one RCR123 (3,7V) and a spacer.

Best regards

____
Tom

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replys and the welcome. I'm going to go ahead with it.

Long John, why do you run only one battery in the 352?

lexina

Enlightened
Nake said:
I've been using a RCR123 in my Q3 and like the light it puts out. It gets a little warm but hasn't started smoking yet. :)
I've been searching a couple of hrs. this morning on whether it's a good idea to use rechargeables in my Nuwai with the LV, but haven't come up with anything. Does anybody have any info on this?

I have both the 301X-3 and the 301-X5. I have had no problem running a RCR123 in the 301X-3 for short periods but I don't know if there will be any adverse effect in the long run. There is certainly a big difference in light output between running the rechargeable and a primary cell.

As for the 301-X5, I haven't been convinced enough by CPFer's experience to feel safe running 2 X RCR123s in it without the fear of a burn-out. If you do decide to try it, please post your experience here. thanks.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nake said:
Thanks for the replys and the welcome. I'm going to go ahead with it.

Long John, why do you run only one battery in the 352?

I tried 2 of them, but the brightness levels don't work correctly. So I think, it will be not reliable for the LE or the Led. Too much voltage.

Best regards

____
Tom