How many people here run Seti@home?

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I do, have been for a bit over a year and a half now, and I am in the top 93% or so. Anyway, if a few people run it, perhaps we could start a CPF team for it and see how high we could get? We ought to do decent if all of the active members got seti@home (setiathome.berkeley.edu) and joined the group. Anyone interested?

Spud

Edit: In the club category, the 200th rank (out of how many I do not know, just ones starting with "A" there are over 3000 of) has only 191 members and 94,000 work units, which I think we could do, if we got say 400 of our members to join this group, in a decent amount of time. I am currently running the command line version of seti (not available on the website, but runs from a dos prompt much faster than normal) on two computers, JUST started that today, so I should be able to start pumping out the units much faster now.

Brock

Flashaholic
I also have been running SETI for about 14 months and I am just above 5000 results. I just hate to see a computer being wasted. I have been using "SETI Driver", it basically gets a bunch of work units to hold on your computer then does a bunch then sends them off, that wasy if the SETI server is busy, you can still work on the next one. I tend to buffer about 12, or 2 days worth. The driver uses the command line verson also and can be found at
http://www.wakeassoc.com/setidriver/

So who else is running SETI, and more tips?

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, I looked at the United Devices site but I don't get what the process they are working on is? Don't get me wrong I like the idea of looking for "ET", but sometimes I would like to do something more down to earth, like cancer research or ??? Does the UD run on individual computers like SETI?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I would like to do something more down to earth, like cancer research or ???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is one for Cancer or Lukeumia or something like that. Sorry that I don't have the details, but I know that it exists.

I did SETI for a while, but I could not get it to work over my firewall. I have about 50 PC's that I could put it on, and run in the backround, if I could just get it to work over the damn firewall!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Ok, I looked at the United Devices site but I don't get what the process they are working on is? Don't get me wrong I like the idea of looking for "ET", but sometimes I would like to do something more down to earth, like cancer research or ??? Does the UD run on individual computers like SETI?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In terms of user friendliness, the web site and setup sure could be designed a lot better. You can pick different projects and it uses your CPU's unused time. When you load the program it loads a screensaver as well. I disabled it from the startup menu so it only works when the screensaver is on which is still 18 hours plus every day. I picked the cancer research one and it does calculations on how different potential drug molecules interact with the cancer proteins. When the screensaver comes on you'll see this evil looking pretzel like type of thing that represents the cancer cell and another figure representing the drug molecule and a progress bar to show what percent of current calculation is completed. On a semi regular basis their server goes down and it won't be able to upload the results until it is back up. It's a great idea and I guess it's been effective, it just needs some polishing.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here it is, the Cancer Research Screen Saver:
http://www.intel.com/cure/

Here are the projects currently taking place:

United Devices Cancer Research

Stanford Alzheimer and Amyloidogenic Disease Research

Lunenfeld Research Institute Distributed Protein Folding Project NEW!

axolotls

Enlightened
I used to run SETI on a vacant AXP box for a few years. The CPU crashed and is just waiting to be fixed (hint: it's been two-three years since)
tongue.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuddTX:
Here it is, the Cancer Research Screen Saver:
http://www.intel.com/cure/

Here are the projects currently taking place:

United Devices Cancer Research

Stanford Alzheimer and Amyloidogenic Disease Research

Lunenfeld Research Institute Distributed Protein Folding Project NEW!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I see. United Devices was just the Cancer research program. As mentioned if you're like me and you really don't want the program running while you are using the computer even if it doesn't noticably affect the performance, you can remove the program from the start up menu and then it will only run when the screensaver kicks in.