What adhesive does Surefire use?

FiftyCalAl

Newly Enlightened
When I remove the tailcap gaurd on my KROMA and A2 (same guard fits both), the delrin ring appears to have a hardened material in the threads. The E series metal rings come from the factory with the same (adhesive-like)material. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what they use and not just an educated guess? I have heard loctite and super glue, but would like to know for sure. Does the ring provide the same waterproofness without the adhesive? Thanks in advance for the knowldege, Alan

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know exactly what they use, but the only purpose is to lock the threads. Water-resistance is provided by the rubber gaskets or O-rings.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
FiftyCalAl said:
I have heard loctite and super glue, but would like to know for sure. Does the ring provide the same waterproofness without the adhesive? Thanks in advance for the knowldege, Alan

I received a heads up from Stingray that Loctite *threadlockers* might damage plastic and nylon.
Not sure how Delrin holds up.
There are *adhesives* offered under the Loctite brand stating that they are safe to use with plastics
(check the Prism or SuperBonder line up).

Ditto to what chamenos said regarding water resistance.

highorder

Enlightened
Delrin (acetal copolymer) is impervious to most chemicals and solvents, including everything in Loc-tite's extensive product line.

having said that, loc-tite makes more than 75 threadlockers/aerobic/anerobic adhesives and adhesive activators and their associated solvents.

FiftyCalAl

Newly Enlightened
Re: What adhesive does Surefire use? I KNOW THE ANSWER NOW!!!

I just got off the phone with SF customer service /technical today. Here is the summary of the answers they gave to my questions. I am copying this in several threads that deal with these questions.

They suggested using a silicone based grease for their O-rings. I asked if "dielectric" would work, like you find in the auto parts stores. He said "that's perfect, it is silicone based". He said applying a thin coat to the threads is not necessary but may help some "tight, new " lights, just be sure to wipe off all the stuff until you don't even see the grease.

Here is the answer to the big question of what adhesive is used to secure the tali cap retention rings - "echobond". He said it is not just a simple suoer glue, but a 'super' super glue that they use just to secure the rings. The rings should remain tightto keep the rubber boot tight in order to ensure watertightness, but the glue is not essential, they just want to make sure that it doesn't accidentally work its way loose and a failure occur - that is why they glue the rings. He said that ECHOBOND is not readily available and is difficult to find.

Well, there it is folks, the answer to the question myself and hundreds other have asked. ECHOBOND - wonder where you find this stuff?

Last edited: