Brigadiers, Grenadiers, and the petard

D

**DONOTDELETE**

just couldn't let this gem of research be lost to the ages...
grin.gif

------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Bigwuss:

"Yeah, while we are on the topic of weird stuff, what the  
heck is a Brigadier? I know what a Brigadier General is,  
but have no idea what a Brigadier is.
I assume it is an old english term reffering to the
commander of a Brigade, Is that correct? "
------------------------------------------------
here's what I got from Dr. Dictionary for brigadier:
brigadier
general \Brig`a*dier" gen"er*al\ [F. brigadier, fr. brigade.] (Mil.) An officer in rank next above a colonel, and below a major general. He commands a brigade, and is sometimes called, by a shortening of his title, simply a brigadier.

Also of interest is the 'grenadier':
\Gren`a*dier"\, n. [F. grenadier. See Grenade.] 1. (Mil.) Originally, a soldier who carried and threw grenades; afterward, one of a company attached to each regiment or battalion, taking post on the right of the line, and wearing a peculiar uniform. In modern times, a member of a special regiment or corps; as, a grenadier of the guard of Napoleon I. one of the regiment of Grenadier Guards of the British army, etc.  

The grenadier was the early version of today's "top gun" fighter pilots. The grenadier was equipped with grenades, also called "petards" -- he would run up to the enemy line, hurl his bomb, then run away as fast as he could..sometimes a grenadier didn't run fast enough, or get rid of the bomb in time, and so the phrase "to be lifted by one's own petard" came about, possibly. Reading the following, though, I get a slightly different image
smile.gif
:

petard Word History: The French used pétard, "a loud discharge of intestinal gas," for a kind of infernal engine for blasting through the gates of a city. "To be hoist by one's own petard," a now proverbial phrase apparently originating with Shakespeare's Hamlet (around 1604) not long after the word entered English (around 1598.), means "to blow oneself up with one's own bomb, be undone by one's own devices." The French noun pet, "fart," developed regularly from the Latin noun pditum, from the Indo-European root *pezd-, "fart."

...and this was years before Stern, mind you...

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2002, 9:53am by theTedLed »

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bigwuss:
How did we get from Brigadier to Petards?
grin.gif
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

..brigadier>grenadier>grenade>petard.
see?
..though it remains to be seen if definition # 2 of "being hoisted by one's own petard" (remember 'petard':, "an explosive emission of gas" as used, perhaps, in Shakespeare's Hamlet) can actually occur in reality.. It certainly is a more amusing image than having a character be blown apart by a grenade --
I leave the research and testing of this hypothesis to Darrel, a known expert in this area. Perhaps he could enlighten us -- based on his own experience...? ?
blush.gif
shocked.gif
blush.gif
shocked.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for that educational discertation(sp?).
How is one "thrown in the brig"? I hope not for having gas.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

nothing yet? hopefully you'll go out for Mexican tonight, and we'll see the UFO pics a couple hours later..
blush.gif
shocked.gif
blush.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
..brigadier>grenadier>grenade>petard.
see?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you been takeing Darell's class "How to get OFF TOPIC in 3 easy steps"??
wavey.gif
TX

Saaby

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
Originally posted by Ted the Led:
[qb]..brigadier>grenadier>grenade>petard.
see?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you been takeing Darell's class "How to get OFF TOPIC in 3 easy steps"??
wavey.gif
TX[/QB]

I skipped the 3 step course and went straight for the advanced "How to get off topic in one course."

Not that anyone cares, but I had to run to Cameapart (K-Mart) tonight [And boy am I tired hardy har har] and they had a lonely Brinkmann Legend on one of the pegs, not the LX but the 2 AA model.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
just couldn't let this gem of research be lost to the ages......brigadier general \Brig`a*dier" gen"er*al\ [F. brigadier, fr. brigade.] (Mil.) An officer in rank next above a colonel, and below a major general....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never understood the apparent contradictions, omissions and reversals of General officer rank in our army. As an avid
W.E.B. Griffin fan I recall US Army officer ranks as follows:

RANKS BELOW GENERAL:

2nd Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel
__________________________________________________________________________________________

GENERAL OFFICERS:

One star: Brigadier
Two stars: Major
Three stars: Lieutenant
Four star: Full
Five Star (Very rare, Eisenhower etc)

Brightnorm