Practical difference between Gerber Ultra and Ultra-M?

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
Think I will give some of these out for Christmas this year, and wondered if there was (for non-flash-addicts) any practical differences to these 2 lights, ie., run-time, light quality in real world, etc.?

Thanks!

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the regular ultra. The ultra M costs more, has a lense over the front that significantly reduces output and shapes it into a spot pattern. However, it is made in the USA, has a slightly more durable pocket clip, and is considered more waterproof. The Ultra has more output, an exposed, but recessed LED with a nice floody beam that is 100% more useful for daily tasks. Hope this helps.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
That covers it quite well and agree with the suggestion of the regular Ultra for most folks. The Ultra-M is also harder to twist on because it has a second o-ring on the body to improve water resistance. This basically eliminates the momentary mode that you can do on the regular Ultra by pressing the tailcap down.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
nmiller said:
Go with the regular ultra. The ultra M costs more, has a lense over the front that significantly reduces output and shapes it into a spot pattern. However, it is made in the USA, has a slightly more durable pocket clip, and is considered more waterproof. The Ultra has more output, an exposed, but recessed LED with a nice floody beam that is 100% more useful for daily tasks. Hope this helps.

Is this true at all?

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
Is this true at all?

Which part do you question? I can't verify or refute the "Made in USA" part (that would surprise me, but might have been required for some military contract), but everything else reads right to me.

standard.jpg
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The beam on the Ultra-M is something of a choked spot; it doesn't have the instensity or color of a properly focused led, and has very very little spill light. The lens doesn't focus the led at all, it just shields it, and the lens and led are set deep in behind the shield/opening, so you are just getting some of the light coming out of the very front of the led.

Last edited:

stoven

Newly Enlightened
Everything is true but they are not MADE IN USA. They are ASSEMBLED IN USA and meet the requirements to sell to the U.S. military.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, that sounds more reasonable. I really couldn't see Gerber actually manufacturing all the parts here.