How To run my Surefire 9P P90 bulb in my G2 ?

lightinsky

Enlightened
I have a Surefire 9P and a G2. I would like to use the P90 bulb in my G2. Would rechargebles work and if so where do I get them ?:sssh:

jezzyp

Enlightened
Try lighthound they do several battery/charger kits.
I have a digilight 9V bulb (similar to the P90 but less current drain) and a charger and batteries from lighthound running my G2. I also replaced the lens with a UCL one as the stronger bulb puts out more heat.

lcpltac

Newly Enlightened
Rechargebles will work, I run a P90 in my 6P, and while not as bright as running it at 9v, it seems a little brighter than the standard P60 but not as bright as a P61 running on primarys. Ebay for the rechargable battery's.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Can I just put the P90 lamp in the G2 using the primaries without rechargeables and if so will it be brighter than the P60 on primaries and will it run for 60 minutes or less and are there any risks using the P90 with only 6 volts from 2 123A lithium primaries ?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
P90 on 2 primaries will look very dull yellow, and will not be good for the bulb.

P90 on 3.6v rechargeables will be almost as bright as it is on 3x123s.

lcpltac

Newly Enlightened
The P90 won't run off two CR123 primaries, or at least mine didn't. Rechargables seem to come off the charger at 4.2v and when running at 3.7v so there's enough to run the P90 at reduced lumens. Won't even get a glimmer out of a P91 though.

Not sure about the run time but in the last 2 months I've only recharged them once but use of the light has been minimal. But I'm happy I'm not shelling out 3-4 bucks a battery now.
As for issues running the P90 at 7-8v's, I don't believe so.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
lcpltac said:
The P90 won't run off two CR123 primaries, or at least mine didn't. Rechargables seem to come off the charger at 4.2v and when running at 3.7v so there's enough to run the P90 at reduced lumens. Won't even get a glimmer out of a P91 though.

My P90 runs fine on AWs protected 123s. Light output is not much less than on 3 primaries. I'm not sure on runtime either, since I recharge often. Probably about 25 minutes?

bagman

Enlightened
nzgunnie said:
My P90 runs fine on AWs protected 123s. Light output is not much less than on 3 primaries. I'm not sure on runtime either, since I recharge often. Probably about 25 minutes?

Are these just AW's normal PROTECTED R123A's please?

InfidelCastro

Banned
P90 seemed as bright to me on two RCR's as it did on three CR123's when I tried it.

I wouldn't recommend it in the G2, I would do it in a 6P instead, because of the pyrex lens and extra heatsinking ability of a metal body.

bagman

Enlightened
nzgunnie said:
Yes, they certainly are.

I bought one of AW's protected R123A kits with charger and these batteries would not power the P90?

I wonder if he has new cells? (althouth his sales thread does not mention them being new???)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
I wouldn't recommend it in the G2, I would do it in a 6P instead, because of the pyrex lens and extra heatsinking ability of a metal body.

I prefer a nitrolon body over an aluminum one for this setup. Firstly, the nitrolon is more durable and is not as cold to the touch in the winter, nor does it get as hot as a aluminum does after being switched on for 15 minutes. Secondly, an incandescent does not need heatsinking ability, that is primarily the need for LEDs. A UCL lens or even a SF pyrex window can be purchased for the G2, which I would recommend if you will be using the P90 for extended periods of time.

InfidelCastro

Banned
leukos said:
I prefer a nitrolon body over an aluminum one for this setup. Firstly, the nitrolon is more durable and is not as cold to the touch in the winter, nor does it get as hot as a aluminum does after being switched on for 15 minutes. Secondly, an incandescent does not need heatsinking ability, that is primarily the need for LEDs. A UCL lens or even a SF pyrex window can be purchased for the G2, which I would recommend if you will be using the P90 for extended periods of time.

Both have their benefits. I live in a very cold (in the winter) state and rarely have the need for plastic bodies over metal ones myself. But I do keep a Maxfire LX for this purpose.

As far as heatsinking, I personally notice a faster drop in output from incans that use plastic bodies, compared to ones that use metal bodies. But your mileage may vary. When I use a high output style light with a plastic body such as a G2 or Maxfire, I usually use it in two-three minute bursts for best results.

dw51

Enlightened
I bought one of AW's protected R123A kits with charger and these batteries would not power the P90?
I use them with a Wolf Eyes 9v lamp in my Maxfire. I have to double click the switch for it to work. Other than that though, it works great.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I used the 900mAh protected Battery Station batteries I got from Lighthound. Never had to double click with the P90. Not even when the batteries were near death. They seemed pretty robust.

I don't know if the AW ones are up to snuff.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried protected batterystation R123s behind a P90 no luck. My MPs handled the P91 no problem, I was just afraid of the whole thing blowing up.

InfidelCastro

Banned
GarageBoy said:
I tried protected batterystation R123s behind a P90 no luck. My MPs handled the P91 no problem, I was just afraid of the whole thing blowing up.

Ehhh... mine worked superbly. Are you sure you had it together right?

I think a P91 is probably a bit much current for two RCR123's to handle safely. I mean, you can do it, and most likely never have a problem, but it's not recommended. A P90 should be safe though. I measured and I think it pulled about 1.2 amps or so if my memory serves correctly, it was a few months ago so I don't really remember for sure. I do remember being surprised at how little it was though.