This is no way to EDC

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC without any holsters or anything, just put the 2AA mini Mag into the pants pocket.

However, some of my pants have pockets with the entry angle which is wrong and more sideways than up-down. I've never had problems with jeans however. Today it was raining hard and I was running and the light slipped out of my pocket. I was mad when I realized this. I thought I would never see it again. It's just a Mini Mag, but it had expensive NimH cells in it, a glass lense, some other upgrades planned.

I returned to the scene and under heavy rain began retracing my steps, and found it.

I must be learning slow, because I (permanently) lost another light in exactly the same way. Put it in my pants pocket, sat down at a pizza place and never saw it again. It slipped out of the pocket and I didn't notice. Cars are another favorite place to loose them due to the angle of the seat.

Not sure what the solution is, as I cannot carry an external pouch since I don't want to be called the Flashlight Man. I wonder if there is an inside-the-wasteband pouch, but then that's not comfortable either.

Rear pocket is not an option, it will cause spine problems because you won't seat evenly (for the same reason, shouldn't carry a wallet in the rear pocket, a chiropractor has said)

Really the pouch that comes with the MiniMag is just what I need, and I have one, (including the 3AA size which really needs one) but it's indiscreet.

A smaller size EDC like Infinity 1AA is not an option, as it might be even more susceptible to jumping out of the pocket. Besides, it's nowhere near as useful as a 2AA lite.

P.S.

No leaks detected after 20 mins of laying on the grass under heavy rain... FWIW.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
etc said:
Not sure what the solution is...

A smaller size EDC like Infinity 1AA is not an option, as it might be even more susceptible to jumping out of the pocket. Besides, it's nowhere near as useful as a 2AA lite.

I can think of several solutions, the first one of them is to add a lanyard and clip your light to your belt. You could also get a clip for your light.

As far as little lights falling out of my pants? I've carried 1xAA, 1xAAA, 1xCR2, and 1x123 light lose in my pocket basically since I joined CPF, and I've never had them fall out. Before that I used to put my 2AA minimag in my back pocket, and it always felt weird; on the frint pocket, it'd be too big and wouldn't sit vertically all the time.

Oh, and, based on my experience, I differ on your assessment of 1-cell lights not being as useful as 2-cell lights; the latter are too big for my taste and carry options.

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
I EDC an Inova X1 and has not been a problem yet. Seems a longer 2AA light might be more susceptible to falling out. If it continued to be a problem tho - I would also suggest a lanyard clipped to a belt loop.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lanyard sounds like an interesting solution. I've thought about it.
The new Mini Mag doesn't come with a lanyard. Is there a tail cap which has one?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to think that pocket carry was the only way but it's impossible as you found out.

I started using a belt holsters and I LOVE THEM. I got 2 HDS holsters 1 for my HDS and 1 for my SAK and it's great. Secure and out of the way. I like to wear long shirts so it covers it and no one is the wiser that I carry anything. You should see the looks on people's faces :duh2: when I start to empty my pockets.

I have a Mag Solitare modded with a 3mm LED and 12v Cell,
on my keys: a fauxton, pill holder, Prybaby on my keys.
SAK and HDS B42 on belt and my L2P (CR123 & L1P) using a Kydex holster.

People joke about me being Batman.

fleegs

Enlightened
I had this same problem. Then I got a U60 light and the $5 dollar leatherman (I think for the wave) pouch that can be put on the belt vertical or horizontal and have been very happy. Someone just the other day asked "Where did you that nice cell phone holder"? As you know, it didn't have a cellphone. That is the only person that I have asked about it. I wear it horizontal on my belt in the front left side and my pager front right side. It works very well for me. I had more questions asked about the Arc AAA I used to wear around my neck under my shirt. They could see the outline through my sweaters. I found this setup better.

Good luck,
rob

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darkheart

Newly Enlightened
I ECD my A2 in the flashlight pouch in my 5.11 pants on the left leg. Perfect size and fit, and I dont ever really notice it until I lean on it or something.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
etc said:
Not sure what the solution is, as I cannot carry an external pouch since I don't want to be called the Flashlight Man.

From several years of carrying guns, flashlights, and knives on my belt I can tell you that most people won't pay any attention to what you carry. You will only be known as flashlight light man if you get the light out and use it. In that case it doesn't matter where you retrieved it from.

There are pocket holsters made for small guns and spare magazines these are usually made from leather or some type of nylon. Maybe this would work for you.

The cheapest pocket Holster I know of is Made by Michael's of Oregan (Uncle Mikes). This holster is of a cloth style and comes in three different sizes, you could take a size 3, or more likely a size 4, and sew the mini-mag in there at which ever angle you like best.

(Note that on their website they show a size 4 with a Glock 26 in it for all thier examples.)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Casual Flashlight User ,

Looks interesting. Does the holster clip to the belt? And you put it under your shirt?

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
ect, it's a belt loop with a very sturdy one-way press stud (doesn't come undone unless you want it to). Somebody else has done a nice review here...

http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/flashlight/hds/concealco/

BTW, I tend to wear my shirts untucked so nobody really notices it when it's on my belt. Even if you tuck 'em in though it's not *that* bulky IMO (and I'm not the "Batman" type who likes loads of gear on his belt).
smile.gif

CFU

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Casual Flashlight User,

It is a neat holster.

I don't really understand how it gets adjusted for tightness.

So, it rides on your belt, outside of it, and to keep it concealed, you need a jacket or a shirt over it.

Still, it might have advantages over the cheapie nylon holster that comes with Mini Mags, because this one seems to ride much higher, thus being easier to conceal.

Another advantage over the nylon holster is that it's quicker to put on your belt.

Seems like every serious light person should have one.

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really understand how it gets adjusted for tightness.

Theres a rubber disk that divides the two sides of the holster at the bottom...

http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/flashlight/hds/concealco/images/img_6231-md.jpg

The more you tighten the adjustment screw...

http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/flashlight/hds/concealco/images/img_6235-md.jpg

The more the rubber disk compresses and the bottom of the holster grips your light tighter.

It's a nice simple system, although I found that when I first recieved the holster I had to loosen it a bit as the leather was very grippy and very stiff - But it slacked up a bit after a week or so and I had to tighten it again...I've not had to adjust it since then, and as I said before, it's very snug and secure once it's settled in and you've found the right tension. My light only comes out of my holster when I want it to.

Seems like every serious light person should have one.

I agree, I really like mine and will probably buy a second one "just in case"...it's a heavy duty, high quality holster that will safely retain my expensive (and beloved) flashlight.

CFU

BTW, these are made in batches, so if you do decide to order one you may have to wait a few weeks, but they don't charge your C/C until it's ready to ship, and it's well worth the wait (especialy when you consider how reasonable the price is).

Mikeg23

Enlightened
etc said:
Still, it might have advantages over the cheapie nylon holster that comes with Mini Mags, because this one seems to ride much higher, thus being easier to conceal.

I too like a holster to ride higher than the Mini Mag holster. When I used to carry with a Mini Mag style holster It would accidently turn my Dorcy on when I sat in some seats/chairs.

Wrangler

Enlightened
Just get you a smaller light and ride it in your front pocket as usual.
Jetbeam or Fenix for example.

I`ve the same aversion for belt pouches. Don`t like to have anything at my belt. I carry the Jetbeam and keys in left front pocket and wallet and knife in right front pocket.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its funny how every one is different, unless I'm wearing cargo pants/shorts, I like holsters but I only holster small single cell lights though. I also got some really nice holsters from Kazu in the custom B/S/T.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc said:
I agree with greenLED. A 1AA light does not fall easily out of a pocket if you do not use the clip but let it sit in the bottom of the pocket. While the infinity is not very bright, the newer generation of luxeon powered 1AA is easily double the brightness of an incan minimag.
I prefer the Civictor V1 at $27 minus any discount codes 4sevens has going. If you are cash strapped an Ultrafire 602A1 from Fifthunit or QualityChinaGoods is below $20.
http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=76
http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.927.html
http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.972.html
The even smaller 1AAA Fenix E1 has the same brightness and runtime of am incan minimag and is $24
http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=95
The L1T/L1S/L0P-SE has multi-modes, allowing you to choose between runtime and brightness.
http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=70
http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=104
http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=111

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best way is to use zippered or other closed pockets. The 5.11 pants are really popular for such carry, but the Dockers Mobile or ScotteVest versions look exactly like dress slacks rather than dorky cargo pants.

Cargo pants are only slightly less obvious than belt holsters. An ankle holster is probably best for discreet carry because there aren't even any visible bulges (ie is that a flashlight in your pocket?).