What is the easiest bulb/reflector upgrade for Mag 3D?

pilou

Enlightened
I know, I could search the site. I have, and it is overwhelming and hard to understand for a mod virgin.

So my question is very simple. What are the easiest mods for the 3D mag that do not require soldering, machining, etc.

- Bulb: the mag LED replacemement bulb is an obvious choice. Any others (Diamond)?

- Reflector: what drop in reflector replacements are out there, regardless of whether they retain focusability.

- lens: any affordable better glass lenses to replace the plastic one?

- Heatsinking: anything straightforward, such as something built into a reflector or bulb bases?

:)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you just try the Mag LED module first with the stock parts? The performance is decent with just the bulb replacement.

Fenix-store.com has some glass lenses if you want to go to glass.

pilou said:
I know, I could search the site. I have, and it is overwhelming and hard to understand for a mod virgin.

So my question is very simple. What are the easiest mods for the 3D mag that do not require soldering, machining, etc.

- Bulb: the mag LED replacemement bulb is an obvious choice. Any others (Diamond)?

- Reflector: what drop in reflector replacements are out there, regardless of whether they retain focusability.

- lens: any affordable better glass lenses to replace the plastic one?

- Heatsinking: anything straightforward, such as something built into a reflector or bulb bases?

:)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
pilou ,

I have exactly the same questions actually.

RE: lenses - flashlightking is OK, but fenix-store is better. Nice lenses.

I too would like to know about reflector, as the stock one really sucks. I attempted to clean mine and ruined it. You cannot even wipe it off. It appears to be some kind of super cheap plasticky piece of cr@p that if you breath on wrong, it goes bad. Luckily, I had a backup.

Need a real reflector... Probably metal?

Basically, you have to redesign the whole head. Heatsinking is obviously the biggest problem.

You can just throw in the MagLED module and a glass lense and it's gonna be pretty nice actually with an impressive run time.

For the ultimate, need a custom head with the super LED du jour.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is cool stuff. What's the best reflector, and what's the exact difference between camless and cammed in terms of throw?

which one drops in without any mods?

Gnufsh

Enlightened
etc said:
this is cool stuff. What's the best reflector, and what's the exact difference between camless and cammed in terms of throw?
Nothing. The camless one simply lacks the cam that the stock mag one has, which adjusts the height of the bulb and changes the focus. Good for use with mods where the cam would be in the way.

which one drops in without any mods?
I think they both do, but if you are not planning on putting a heatsink and an led in there, you probably want to stick with the cammed one. The smooth one should give you the best throw.

pilou

Enlightened
Gnufsh said:
Sorry, the mag reflectors arten't in the reflector section, they're in the modamag

Thanks for that link. I have seen it before. If I understand correctly, these camless modamag reflectors give up focusing ability. But then what do the beams they project look like? Reading the guide, it seems like the smooth reflector projects a beam similar to the stock one in throw position. Does it have more sidespill though? If not, what are you really getting for $25? Although the guide recommends the smooth one for Luxeon LEDs, it seems like the light orange peel one would have been a good reflector for a general purpose light. But they don't have any more left. Perhaps the medium orange peel might still be a good compromise between throw and flood? If I remember correctly, I once went through the thread and I vaguely remember that there was a problem with the manufacturing of the cammed reflectors, and that is why none are listed for sale. The stems were just chopped off. That's really too bad.

So none of the McR reflectors would work with a MagD?

The first obvious step is definitely to drop in an LED bulb, probably Mag's. Those of you who have done it, does the beam have fewer artifacts than with the incandescent bulb, especially in flood position, or is it basically the same beam, just a little brighter?

Has anyone tried to do something to the stock reflector with aluminum foil strips/pieces? Obviously, that wouldn't be a permanent solutions, but it might be something to play with :laughing: There is also the option of spraying something on the reflector to give it some diffusing texture, but then you have to find something that stick to the plastic, can take the heat, and reflects a reasonable amount of light.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to use the LED module, I'd suggest you stay with a smooth reflector (stock is fine for this purpose,) without texturing or any homemade remedies. Those will all cut down the amount of light output, and the LED module does not put out so much light as to give that kind of latitude.

pilou said:
It seems like texturing the reflector has already been covered here

pilou

Enlightened
I have a feeling that is indeed what I will do. The LED bulb, and perhaps a glass lens (semi-frivolous), and it would already be a whole different light.

Lightmax

Newly Enlightened
What about using some of the optics that are out there? If a person is looking for a monster throw, is this the way to go?