4AA alternatives to SL Polypro Lux, I think not?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I like about the Polypro is good, long, flat regulation on alkalines and the the price. What I don't like is that the beam/hotspot is too narrow for my tastes. I much prefer the Fenix type of beam. Am looking to give a light to relatives for Christmas but I don't think they will bother with rechargeables and the Fenix L2 series really doesn't run all that long or flat on alkalines, do they? Can you think of possible other alternatives to the SL PolyPro Lux with a wider hotspot? I really can't.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PolyPro 4AA Lux is a great overall light at a great price. Check out the PolyPro 4AA [7 LEDs] for a wider spread of light. It has [obviously] all the same features that you love about the 4AA Lux, but with a different beam.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always try sputtering the reflector of the SLPP.

Remove the reflector assembly, mask off the LED with a piece of blue tac and spray clear lacquer onto the reflector in short bursts from a distance to create the sputtering effect. (Don't over do it - a couple of short bursts will be enough). This will diffuse the beam.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Maybe your relatives won't mind the beam pattern of the Polypro just because you don't. Why not find out their preferences if you can in casual conversation? That might lead you to choose an appropriate light. I think you're on the right track, though. It's a darn good light and would make a wonderful gift. The UK 4AA led zoom is also a great alternative with 2 light levels. Happy shopping!
:sold:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a widely available mainstream consumer type light with a broader beam, you might want to look at the MiniMag 3AA LEDs. The throw isn't as good as the SLPP4AA Lux but the spill is very good at it's broadest "flood" which incidentally still has a very good hotspot. As a matter of fact, I'm not so sure that focusing the light to a spot does much to improve the throw. The output is almost like that of a SL20 with both a good hotspot and lots of light for spill.

geepondy said:
What I like about the Polypro is good, long, flat regulation on alkalines and the the price. What I don't like is that the beam/hotspot is too narrow for my tastes. I much prefer the Fenix type of beam. Am looking to give a light to relatives for Christmas but I don't think they will bother with rechargeables and the Fenix L2 series really doesn't run all that long or flat on alkalines, do they? Can you think of possible other alternatives to the SL PolyPro Lux with a wider hotspot? I really can't.

Latest posts