Petzl headlamps and Lithium batteries

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Just found some interesting info on the Petzl website:

http://www.petzl.com said:
Limitations on use of AA/LR6 and AAA/LR03 Lithium batteries with headlamps.

This information does not apply to the e+Lite which was designed to work with CR2032 Lithium batteries.

Lithium batteries are lighter and give longer burn times at low temperature than traditional Alkaline batteries.

Due to recent advances in the performance characteristics of Lithium batteries (especially their higher output during discharge), they can cause the lamp to overheat and possibly damage the LEDs.
You can use AA/LR6 Lithium batteries with the following lamps

* MYO range: MYOBELT SB5 / MYO / MYOLITE.
* DUO range: DUO LED 14.
* Others: SAXO / MICRO / ZOOM Halogène.
* Discontinued headlamps: MYO 5, DUO LED 8.

Attention: the use of Lithium batteries reduces the lifespan of incandescent bulbs.
Do not use Lithium batteries with the following lamps

* TIKKA / ZIPKA range: TIKKINA / TIKKA / ZIPKA / TACTIKKA / TIKKA PLUS / ZIPKA PLUS / TACTIKKA PLUS / TIKKA XP / TACTIKKA XP / TIKKA XP ATEX / TIKKA XP HAZLOC.
* MYO range: MYOLITE 3 / MYO 3 noir / MYO XP.
* DUO range: DUO LED 5.
* SAXO AQUA.
* Discontinued headlamps: MYOBELT 3, DUO LED 3.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep... i love how they blame "Due to recent advances in the performance characteristics of Lithium batteries"

like its a recent discovery or something... they should say... "Since we didn't have our act together from the beginning we didn't communicate the correct information about lithium battery use in our products.."

:D

TMorita

Enlightened
jar3ds said:
yep... i love how they blame "Due to recent advances in the performance characteristics of Lithium batteries"

like its a recent discovery or something... they should say... "Since we didn't have our act together from the beginning we didn't communicate the correct information about lithium battery use in our products.."

:D

I see you have a corporatespeak decoder ring too.

Toshi

soapy

Newly Enlightened
<strike>Just to confirm, the Zipka+ will, sadly, overpower the LEDs and the output intensity will drop markedly after a few hours, even if you run it on lower than the top setting for most of that time. I had hoped the PWM power supply would let the headlight run bright without fragging the LEDs, but I was wrong. </strike>

Ok, so that is redacted. Turns out that the LEDs are still fine, it was the Energizer Lithiums, one cell of which has died after just a few hours use! Do they ship the crappy cells to the UK and then charge us double? I've yet to have a packet of four LiIron that have all been ok!

In case it happens in future, I already asked about how to take it apart, so I can swap the dying LEDs for new ones and a surface mount current limiting resistor... or would adding a heatsink do the trick?

Last edited:

jezzyp

Enlightened
oops I've used lithiums in my Myo XP a few times. I wonder if running them a little in another light to lower the voltage a bit would help rather than using them brand new out of the packet.