U2 problem

tibim

Newly Enlightened
So I just got a new(to me) U2 yesterday and it's having some problems. Output is good and everything 'till I put it in the lowest mode(1) and let it run for a few minutes. Then the light starts to flicker and goes into a SUPER low mode(I'm talking I can look directly into the LED and see the circuit, almost no light output). When it does this turning the power ring has no effect, the light continues to stay in this super low mode. If I turn it off and turn it back on, it will go into mode (1) and then flicker(sometimes back and forth between the high modes) and eventually end up back in the super low mode. If I let it sit for a while it will operate normally, till I run it in low mode for a few minutes and the whole cycle repeats.

The light came with batteries and I dont think they're low yet because I can run it on high mode(6) reliably for minutes(haven't had much time to test) without it going any dimmer.

I'm not sure if the light would start to flicker in any other power modes, but I can reliably make it start to do this in level 1.

Any ideas on what it might be? Tailcap? Something messed up in the head?

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Ok I just played with it some more. Ran it in high for about 2 minutes with no problem, turned it down to 1. Started flickering after about 1 minute and went into super low mode. Turned it off. Turned it back on. Output back to normal. Turned ring to high(6). Light worked fine for about 2 minutes and then *poof* went strait into super low mode. The dropoff can't be this dramatic on weak cells, can it? We're talking 100 lumens to <1 lumen instantly.

Also now it won't turn on and function normally at all. It just goes into super low mode no matter what the power ring is set to. After cycling the switch a few times it has turned on and is running in mode 6 again. Oh there it goes... just went back into super low mode.

Well I just jumped a battery -> body connection with some wire and let it run in (1) for about 30 seconds... then it started flickering and went into super low. I don't think the switch is at fault here.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Enlightened
I have had mine for a year now.
Last month I had to get a replacement tailcap from Surefire.
But then I discovered that a drop of oil fixed the original just fine.
The only time mine flickers is when on high, and the batteries start getting low.
Then I turn down to five and keep going.
Eventually it will flicker on five, then turn down to four, etc.
You might try swapping batteries just for the heck of it.
If it has the red Surefire batteries, I have had more unusual problems with them.
Change them and all is well.

Last edited: