Computer Game Help!!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, well, as we know the holidays are right around the corner and I'm in a bit of a pickle. My younger brother wants a computer game. He looks upon me as the great computer guru, and thus puts all of his trust in me. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a gamer, so I'm kinda at a loss of what to get him..

His first computer game was Return to Zork. If you're old enough to remember that game then sweet, but if not I'd describe it as an interactive puzzle game, not unlike Myst or (as I've been told) Neverwinter Nights. That game was made in like 1994, though, designed to run on Windows 95 and when you look at it next to any decent game today it kinda, well, stinks. Graphics are bad, everything is bad..

So what's a good game like it that's out now?? He's got a good enough computer to play most anything that's out today, except for the bleeding edge stuff that's just now coming out..

Thanks in advance!!

bitslammer

Enlightened
It may be too high power on graphics, however you can scale it back, but Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is just incredible. So much to do, so much to see, and so many options as to how to play. It has been a serious black hole for my time from 10PM-Midnight in the past couplde months.

bitslammer

Enlightened
tebore said:
World of WarCraft that'll consume his life.

I'm a 3yr vet of WoW and it is fun, but I do sometimes miss the solo "quiet" experience of Myst or the like. Plus I wasn't sure if the OP was including online games.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
CounterStrike. Condition Zero, if possible. Game of the year for a while now... I play 1.6, but CZ is good too. A problem with games today is that they are very addicting... as in, they can be very time consuming. Might wanna be a little careful with RPG games like Wow or Diablo.

carrot

Flashaholic
Wow. I'm seeing suggestions for games that are nothing like Zork. :shrug:

I recommend getting him a few months' subscription to GameTap. Tons of old-school games, and a few great new ones like Beyond Good and Evil and Splinter Cell. Also, the new Sam & Max is exclusive to GameTap, coming sometime this holiday. I got to play with GameTap extensively this and last year at DigitalLife and I am very impressed with the service at this point. If I had a PC to run it on, I'd be a subscriber. http://gametap.com

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags said:
CounterStrike. Condition Zero, if possible. Game of the year for a while now... I play 1.6, but CZ is good too. A problem with games today is that they are very addicting... as in, they can be very time consuming. Might wanna be a little careful with RPG games like Wow or Diablo.

You're telling me. Back when I was in highschool I played CS most of my freetime and was in CAL-M. Eventually I got bored and just gave up computer games cold turkey. Amazingly I still had a life and maintained a reasonable average.

Now if only I can shake this damn flashlight habit. I'm up to 3 cells a day if I don't get my hit my eyes start to get dark... Oh wait that's just night fall.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
\m/ BZFlag! \m/

100% free fun. Its the only game I play anymore.

After that though, not so much a game, but I am looking into getting the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. Seems to have some good graphics according to the television commericials.

But definately BZFlag :D

-C

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
an emulator and games for the whole gameboy series(advance, colour and old)

right now, i am on Final Fantasy V for GBA :)

tygger

Enlightened
Star Trek: Legacy for the PC is scheduled for release on Dec. 5th. Supposed to be a great game. check out gamespy if you want to get some info on PC games. http://pc.gamespy.com/
good luck. lotta great games out there.

SkinlessMonkey

Newly Enlightened
I recommend Half Life 2. It's a great single player game and has a ton of replay value in multiplayer with the extensive mods.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to know what to recommend. I'm not a gamer but I've some friends who are.

What's your brother into? Strategy? First person shooter? Single player? Multi-player?

And if you could post his system specs that would be good...

Have a look at The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Battlefield 1942/2142 and the Counter-Strike/Half life series to start off.