Going to New York

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be doing a festival in Hunter Mountain by the Catskills. It lasts 3 weekends and I will have the weekdays off ( how's that for a work schedule
grin.gif
). I'll probably visit New York city for a day or so it's about 3 hours from where I am staying.

Any New York members know of any spots or attractions in NYC that should not be missed? Or places to avoid that don't live up to the hype.

I just found out this weekend that I am going and I am leaving a week from today.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I hear NY is hot and sticky..avoid the subways, I'd advise..I haven't been in ages, but the planetarium and museum (of Natural History) used to be fun..and after, a stroll in the park across the street..for a hot day, find the 'jungle jim' with the spraying water jets -- maybe no longer operating what with the water shortage..maybe best to avoid Urinetown altogether and explore in the other direction; North to Ithaca, the finger lakes and wineries..
wink.gif
Hunter Mntn area is lovely in itself though, visit the quaint little towns, like Roscoe, etc..do a little fishing..?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Ted, coming from South Louisiana hot and sticky is no stranger. We'll have a rental car, but I'm sure driving around and finding parking in the city would be a nightmare.

I think I remember passing through Roscoe on the way up there a couple of years ago. I was only up there for the weekend to work the festival then drove to Hilton Head, Florida to do another show at the Ritz then drove back home to Louisiana. All of this in 5 days riding in a big equipment truck.

From what little I saw there Hunter Mountain was beautifull. So peacefull and open. I'm looking forward to spending many nights sitting by a babbeling brook with my trusty E2 in one hand and a beer in the other.
smile.gif

I've been told to keep a sharp eye out for bears at night. Wasn't there a thread about scaring bears with light? Here it is. Hey!! It was your post!
shocked.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

mmm. 9-22-2000..those were the good old days ..and I haven't heard any more since about how bears react to lasers, or Light Canons for that matter, but LCs weren't around way back when..
wink.gif

Funny you should mention bears, my sister just encountered one outside of Woodstock, browsing next the hammock in which her husband was snoozing, hat pulled down over his eyes. She tried to wake him with a loud whisper and not alarm the bear; "Baahb, Baaahhhb? Bear, Bob. BOB!..don't run, slowly get up and walk to the house..."
He ran.
There is a bear spray I understand. I think I'm going to order a round for everyone.
Same sister back in NYC says; visit the roof of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, there's a sculpture garden, right now featuring Claes Oldenburg with a (very large) trowel, and I think a (giant )paper-clip..there is also lemonade..a ride on the Staten Island ferry is in order , and of course; a visit to the Statue of Liberty..have fun!
What sort of show are you on the road with?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a touring or road type of show. The company I run the audio for does the production (sound and lights) for the Hunter Mountain Music Festival every August. It usually lasts between 3 and 6 weeks and it's only on the weekend. Each weekend is a different type of music, for example this year the first weekend (3rd & 4th) is latin music, second weekend (10th & 11th) is german music, and the last weekend this year (17th & 18th) is celtic music.

Usually it ends with a big act on the last weekend. In the past these have been acts such as 98 degrees, Faith Hill, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Jackie Vasqes. We have been doing this festival for many years, and apparently do a good job for them to invite us across the country every year to do it again
smile.gif

Everyone is invited BTW. I'll be the one behind the mixing console in the big tent located about 50-60 feet directly in front of the stage. Be carefull on sneaking up on me though, I'll be armed with my E2
wink.gif
grin.gif

If you want to let me know you are coming please email me. After this Sunday the 28th I'll only be checking email on a friends computer. Although I'm sure I won't be able to resist sneaking a look at the CPF pages for updates
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Tree said:
The company I run the audio for does the production (sound and lights)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool! I do a bit of that myself at school but notin' much...hope your board works better than the Jr. Highs did
grin.gif

And while I'm on the off-topic have you ever considered using one of those LocLine Tri-star clusters McGizmo makes as a console light? It puts out 12V right??

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
We spent between 50 and 80 grand on some of these consoles they better work great
grin.gif
wink.gif

I'm not sure about the console lights voltage. I'll look into it.

I did a search a while back for a Littlite LED replacement and found this.

This is the bulb to replace. Q5 BAYONET BASE BULB FOR HIGH INTENSITY LITTLITE
Bright "white" 12 volt, 420mA (AC or DC) bayonet base, 5 watt, tungsten-halogen bulb.

I would be curious to try the McGizmo gizmo lights, any more detials? I'm trying to switch to LED's mostly because the incandescents get sooooo hot and I've had other careless engineers leave them too close to plastic and had it melt the plastic.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well I am switching to LEDs because the equipment I use is purchased by the school district and they don't buy litlelites
wink.gif

What I am going to do (When school starts so I'll be able to readily test it) is take a boring old XLR connector and wire it up to one of those clusters...I want to use one of the ball cluster housings like this...
370.jpg

and attach it with some Loc-Line to the XLR connector. This way it will hapily work with the sound console (Plug on top) or the light console (Plug on back with dimmer
smile.gif
)McGizmo will sell the parts to make them cheap to CPF members...details here

I am making this for myself when I do it...and I will take the light home when I am not using it, this is public school and I don't want my nice light wandering off. Also, I think it'd be cool to make a modified version that could be pluged in anywhere on the stage and run off the phantom power the board provides!

If you haven't built one by then, I'll be happy to send mine to you to "test" after I make it
smile.gif

Cheers

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! That sounds interesting, a phantom powered XLR LED. I can see many uses from this. Put it on a gooseneck type arm so you can bend it and aim it in a certian direction, like to wire the back of a console. Hmmm...

I already put LED rope lights around the back of all my racks, works great.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tree,

The Catskills are nice. Been to Hunter Mt. many times and nearby Tannersville. For a better mt. experience, you'll need to go to the Adirondacks. The Lake George and Lake Placid areas are really nice. What's inferior about the Catskills is the lack of lakes. The Adirondacks are riddled with them.

Sorry, can't say as much about NYC. Being from southern CT, you would think I would have gone there more often, but I always prefered the NW hills of CT, and the beaches of Rhode Island. In fact, I just got back from Newport, RI. That would be well worth the trip also.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Lux. I'll have to check out the Adirondacks.

How about restaurants? Coming from New Orleans the food down here will be hard to beat, but I'm sure NYC has some great places to eat.

Heh, I'm a poet and don't even kn... oh nevermind.

Saaby

Flashaholic
How about the Ledderman show? Maybe you'd get lucky and win gift cirtificates to some snazzy place
grin.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I'll have that much time. Letterman takes up most of the day between waiting in line for tickets and the taping of the show. I'd love to do it though.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm baaaaack. Did anyone miss me? Didn't think so
wink.gif
tongue.gif
. Here's some pics of Hunter New York

Hunter New York

I envy those who live in New York City, Manhattan was incredible.

New York City

And for those who are interested I did see the World Trade Center site and took a few pics there also.

World Trade Center site

All the pics are highly compressed and shrunk for web space, so if anyone would want a copy of the original email me.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool pics, Tree
Any pics of the show? What rig are you using, I am in the Sound/A/V business also.

Hey Saaby, have you made this phantom power Mod yet. I would be interested in them for work, would even buy some if they can be produced in any quantity(5 or6).

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main rig was 8 Meyer MSL-4's (4 per side) and 4 Meyer 650-P subs, and an Allen and Heath 2200 console. We use Meyer UM's for monitors and front fills. The two small stages had 2 Mackie 1521's for mains and a Mackie 450 for a monitor. The awards and speech system was 4 MSL-4's as loud as they could go to cover about 5000 people.

Here's a pic of the main stage.

2002_0803_115927AA.JPG

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Rig, how do you like the Allen and Heath I just ordered the GL 3300 mainly b/c we do corporate stuff and need the Matrix outs for lots of Video sends.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a GL 3300 and also a GL 4000. My only complaints with the A&H GL series is lack of overall headroom and a not so responsive EQ section. But this is comparing it to Midas XL200/Yamaha 4K and such, so for it's price range the A&H GL series are great consoles. They definately seem to work better than the larger Mackie desks we used to have.

I am currently trying to get the company to purchase some of the Midas Venice series consoles. They sound and react like the larger Midas, but at a much smaller price. Unfortunately they don't have a matrix, but you can get a matrix rackmount unit separately from Midas, Allen & Heath etc...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Nope didn't do the phantom power thing yet...waiting for school to start, so I should start working on it--Monday. Yup, Monday or about then. If it works out (I.E. If it's not a pain to make) I can build some for ya and sell them for my cost to build. Were you refering to the console light or the phantom powered light though? I suppose that the phantom light could do double duty if you had an open slot of your board...