Anyone have any experience with these QVC stickup LEDs?

tron3

Banned
You don't provide a link or pic. But if they are anything like the DOT-it lights, it can worth having. Received one as a gift last Christmas.

They are pretty bright and could help illuminate an entire room if you sit it on edge over the door frame. I can't vouch for battery life because I am still on the same set. I've turned it on mostly just to play. But you definately don't want to stare into it. <blink, blink>

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I just bought a set these exact ones (3 in package) at Costco for $13.79. They are fairly bright and I'm sure I'm going to find a use for them. I may put them inside some cupboards & maybe a safe.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, will have to look around then we do not have a Costco in the area but maybe someone else has them. :)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought something very similar with one 5mm LED each at CVS drug store at $9.99 for a three pack. The single LED should give good run time. I already have a 3-LED DOT-It.

alberto

Enlightened
I've been happy with the Sylvania DOT-It - bright light, aluminum case, press switch. I use it as a night light. It's easy to find in the dark and to slap the top to turn it on.

tron3

Banned
Backup lights for rooms with no windows, or power.

I have one of these I keep in my closet. If you live in a place where the bathroom has no windows, this is a great backup light incase you are "on the throne" when the power goes out. Also great for those middle of the night bathroom trips.

Much handier than remembering to bring a light, or fumbling for the stashed one in the dark.

Last edited by a moderator:

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
Re: Backup lights for rooms with no windows, or power.

You might want to mention that this is a Sylvania/OSRAM 'Dot-It' light, the subject of several threads here on CPF...use the search function to find them.

tron3 said:
snip long YRL
I have one of these I keep in my closet. If you live in a place where the bathroom has no windows, this is a great backup light incase you are "on the throne" when the power goes out. Also great for those middle of the night bathroom trips.

Much handier than remembering to bring a light, or fumbling for the stashed one in the dark.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

I put velcro on mine instead of sticking it directly on the wall. Now, I can remove it ant put it back there any number of times without killing the adhesive! So it can also serve me as a flashlight. :)

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened

How bright are they? Will they light up a closet?

Sarratt

Enlightened

As a ''freebie" for purchasing a windup radio I recieved a "Blackout Buddy". I was going to give it away but then realized I actually had a use for it...

It automatically turns on when the power fails.
You can choose which option turns on ... light or radio or alarm.
I chose "light" and have it pointed towards a Real Flashlight. The actual 'light' that turns on is not a "Super Bright LED" but it's enough.
It's plugged in in my basement laundry room (no windows = no light).
The only thing I wonder about is how much power it is using up being plugged in 24-7.

I wouldn't recommend actually purchasing it,.. but for free and for this specific use its not bad.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

A much better option is a PIR based battery light.

Available from Currys UK, now around £5. (ex £10)

Probably Dixons too.

Checkout Maplin UK too, £8

Change bulb for LED, and use nimh's.

I have loads dotted around, they welcome me as I wander around at night.

I'm sure that there must be equivalents elsewhere.

In heavy use locations, around a month between recharges. (Hall, landing, main loo, bedroom under bed with RED leds)

Other lighter use locations, 3 months,Other loos.

Rarely used, much longer, the current drain in standby is very small. (Roof area)

If you like soldering , see http://www.makingthings.com/teleo/cookbook/nightlight/index.htm

Last edited:

tron3

Banned

Bill97z said:
How bright are they? Will they light up a closet?

I believe they are about 30 lumens, or more. It seemed more than a 3 D-cell light.

For a small closet, it should be plenty of light to find something.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened

I was turned off after reading this review on amazon....

stars-2-0.gif
Sylvania DOT-IT , November 5, 2006
Reviewer:Bear 87 - See all my reviewsWhat a great idea for a stick-up! Unfortunately, this item "smells" too. The Sylvania DOT-ITs stick where ever you put them, but if you really want to use the led light to "see" something; forget it. Put two of these little guys in a dark closet, and it doesn't even illuminate the shelf.

If you want to light up something dark, bigger than a tackle-box, get an electric light. The LEDs don't cut it. The price is right, its just too bad the DOT-ITs can't do what they promise.
caveat emptor!
------------

stars-3-0.gif
Not enough light, September 27, 2006
Reviewer:lizzie-j "lizzie-j" (Midwest USA) - See all my reviewsGreat idea, they stick where you want them, but don't give off enought light for much of anything.

Seems like it's more of a glorified nightlight. The beam pattern is pretty small it seems, so doesn't really light up an area well.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The ones linked in the first post (same as the ones at Costco) have 5 LEDs and put out enough light to light up a room. Never tried the Sylvania DOT-ITs though...

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very confusing.

When did two become one ?

Why the change of title in some posts?

Originally: Backup lights for rooms with no windows, or power.

Last edited:

tron3

Banned

abvidledUK said:
Very confusing.

When did two become one ?

Why the change of title in some posts?

Originally: Backup lights for rooms with no windows, or power.

Those are seperate threads. Same concept, different intent.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine at Costco. One thing not mentioned regarding the 5-LED lights in the first post is the lights ability to rotate 360 degrees on it's base, and the entire head can also be tilted 15 degrees in either direction, for a total of 30 degrees. Think of one of those mattress-sale searchlight gimbal arrangements, and you get the general idea. (Not quite as bright, though!) These two features combined really go a long way toward addressing the problem of getting the light to point where you actually need it once the base is mounted.

Correction, though: they do not run on AA batteries, but rather AAA's.

Latest posts