Klarus        

Thread: need a new edc light

Default need a new edc light

Hey everybody,

I am in need of a new edc light I have been carrying a mini mag with me for the past 3 years and it has never let me down. I just recently lost it and I am lost withought a flashlight odd how you never know how much you need something till you dont have it lol I have been carrying a old ray-o-vac 2-c sportsman with me it works so-so it is big flickers and doesnt produce the most usable light (the bulb is most likly 10 years old I found it in a box in the garage) I would like to get something under 30$ canadian that will throw a bit better then the mini mag and mayby last longer too. I have been reading up on the new led mini mags 2-aa and 3-aa and I am very interested in them I have a big 3-d led mag lite and I like it for the most part but I am not abought to carry that around with me as I would then be known as the crazy guy with the flashlights lol I have a moderate collection of flashlights and always carry one or two. my main use is walking at night camping and power outages I really enjoy the candle mode of the mini mag is this funtion still avalible on the led models? What would you guy's reccomend I would like something that is aluminum uses common aa type batteries I dont have a cheap source for the cr123a batteries and I dont want to depend on some guy's webstore to supply them. I need to be able to light up a object at 50 feet more would be better any ideas thanks guy's Dave

p.s great websight I can feel my wallet getting thinner and thinner already

Default Re: need a new edc light

Hi Mudd Magnet -

Welcome to CPF. You will find lottsa' cool lights here !

May i suggest that you START with the very nice Mini-Mag LED as your replacement.

(Your choice as far as 2AA or 3AA version)

Both of these are wonderful updates to the trusty ol' Mini-Mag
    which served you well for the past 3 years.

Read some of our recents posts about 'em. You'll see.

Heck, you might as well just buy them BOTH, and get it over with !

Good luck in your never-ending search for more flashlights.

Since you liked your Minimag with candle mode, the LED version is probably what you are looking for, especially in that price range. It can still do the candle stand. See the review here. I'm not sure what they go for in Canada though.

Hi and welcome to CPF!

Have a look around these websites and you'll find loads of lights that will provide a lot of choices using AA or AAA batteries. Many of the lights will provide a surprinsingly bright and useful beam in comparison to what you've been using, and some are superb. You'll also find some to be incredibly inexpensive and made just as well or better than the mini mag.

Fellow CPF 4sevens owns and maintains
    http://fenix-store.com/
    He provides excellent customer service and products and shares an unnatural love for illumination tools like the rest of us. He also has regular sales and discounts for CPFers, and usually checks in here daily.

Other recommended retailers include:
    http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/
    http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/p...ategory.0.html
    http://lighthound.com/
    http://eliteled.com/index.html
    http://www.advancedmart.com

All these retailers provide a wide assortment of products and services, and all provide excellent customer service. They do not check in to CPF daily, however, and most don't have regular sales for CPFers.

As far as your choice to replace your mini mag, I would start with Fenix. An excellent product is the L0P-SE. This is a keychain sized light that uses an AAA battery and provides 3 levels of brightness that are user selectable. The highest setting will absolutely blow your old mini mag out of the water. This light provides an enormous amount of flood type illumination from a tiny package, and doesn't exceed your budget my much. The next choice would be the L1T which is slightly larger, uses a AA battery, has 2 levels and is easily pocketable. It provides more throw than the L0P-SE and would work for your 50'. It is a high quality machined aluminum light with heft, glass lens, and Hard Anodized finish. But, check out the links above, and I'm sure you'll find something to your liking. Good luck, and again, welcome!
    Last edited by lightningbug; 11-17-2006 at 07:19 PM.
    PM me if you're interested in custom Wooden Presentation boxes, Show Cases, or Storage racks for your Flashoholic needs. Also, other collections.

I have a Minimag AA LED but like in other posts it lacks in the spill beam. I can't say I have the Fenix Civictor yet but from what I heard it is a really great EDC light and runs off 1 AA. Plan to get one very soon tho. Currently I am carrying the Fenix P1 for EDC on the keychain. Couldn't be happier with it. Great throw and small size. You can get the cr123a cheap on the net too.

Flashaholic*

Since you like Mags, the new Minimag sounds like it would be a fine choice for you. I have one and it is just about everything you would expect in one having had Minimags until now. It will be very familiar, and should serve you well.

Other options may be the Inova Radiant series at Target stores, they have a AA version in which is very nice.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...radiant_aa.htm

Another option may be the Fenix F1S or F2S they should fill the bill but not knowing the exchange rate may be just the other side of your budget.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ix_l1s-l2s.htm
    Lee

Life is too important to be taken seriously: Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by light_emitting_dude
    I have a Minimag AA LED but like in other posts it lacks in the spill beam. I can't say I have the Fenix Civictor yet but from what I heard it is a really great EDC light and runs off 1 AA. Plan to get one very soon tho.
    Agree with this - the Civictor V1 or a MinimagLed 2AA (I've got both and they're quite good). If I had to choose just one it would be the Civictor.

Lots of good suggestions here. While it doesn't have a candle mode I think you'd like the Civictor, too. Again, check it out at the fenix-store and be sure to visit flashlightreviews for almost all the other great options out there. Welcome to CPF. Friendliest site on the web.

Geoff

Welcome fellow Canuck! I agree with the recommendations so far. I have purchased many lights from the fenix store. 4sevens has a great track record in customer service. From my experience, fenix lights are a good place to start. Good selection of lower priced lights. I have a Civictor, L1T and an L0Pse. The Civictor would be a good starter but keep in mind, you might catch the bug and want higher end lights. It happened to me and It's happened to everybody else here. Good luck on your purchase!
    I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I don't know if a minimag LED is gonna throw 50'.............

I would suggest the Civictor over MM LED, it only uses 1 AA, better beam pattern, and less than half of MM LED's length. If you can go up a bit more, get the L1T, regulated, clickie, lots of upgrade opion with that light.
    L2T/123|Civictor (polished)|Luxogen LR12|P1D-CE/kooter/McR17XR (polished)|L0P-SE|D-Mini|Boxer 24W HID|L1D-CE/P2D|L0D-CE|Quard USW0I 1C|LM631|A-mag 1C@1.2A flupic|MRV|Thor X Colossus|P2DQ5|KDAAASSC

Yeh another vote for the L1S or L1T, Fenix lights are great value for money.

Oh and Welcome Mudd Magnet.
    Concept

thanks for the warm welcome guy's

I have orderd two mini mags from fivemega and hopefully I am getting a night-ize led upgrade for one shiped up with them. I have read some good things abought those fenix lights but they all seem too small to me I am so used to haveing a compared to todays lights large flashlight in my hands I bellieve the led upgrade will perform well as a close up work light and provide a long long battery life and the other mini mag I may upgrade to a higher output bulp for more long range type work I am thinking abought saving up for a nice cr123 cell light and a dozen or two of the batterys to keep on hand thanks for the help I will see what I end up doing and post back what I end up with after these two mini mags arrive

Yeah, if you really liked your old 2AA Mini-Mag, your best bet is to just get a new 2AA Mini-magLED. Brighter and still within your price range.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I have forund that the noma xenon light that cdn tire sells are a nice starter 123a flashlight (almost exactly like the brinkman maxfire) also canadian tire has finally started getting the new mag-led's in stock and the aa models are a nice update to the regular old mini mag!

I like to carry around my Fenix L1T. Nice little light running on 1 AA battery and two light levels.

Welcome, The Mini-Mag LED and Fenix L series are great value