What is your favorite coffee?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Today is your lucky day,
Bushman, you just described a bad cup of coffee! Go to sweetmarias.com and get an education; she'll rock your coffee world! I've been roasting my own for a few weeks now, and it's wonderful, takes just 5 minutes, no mess, the worst part is having to wait 24 hours after the roasting to grind it up and drink it...
I just bought the last 7 pounds of this stuff:
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
:
The most exclusive coffee in the world comes from the South Atlantic Ocean island of St. Helena situated just above the Tropic of Capricorn, midway between Africa and America. Production is low (only about 12 tons a year), demand is high and the quality exceptional.
from: http://www.sweetmarias.com/St.Helena.Tea-Coffee.04-01.html

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My favorite coffee is whatever happens to be on sale on whatever day of the month I make it to the store. A few months back, Bartells had Mello Roast for 99¢ a can. So I bought as many cans as I could load onto my chair. Next month, it might be Folgers; the month after that, MJB. And once or twice a year, the food bank might have Starbucks or SBC whole bean coffee. That's about the only time my coffee grinder sees any action.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

what no Folgers Saint Helena?
grin.gif

actually roasting your own is also economical; green beans cost less than half as much as already roasted and gone stale along time ago beans..and green beans keep for over a year, so you can stock up on your favorites...roasting your own is win/win!
Muse, I'm expecting some beans any moment from brown santa Ed..among them my Saint Helena...I'll roast and send you some. Does your coffee taste run rich /thick/ chocolatey -- or light/ berry-y /citrusy? I'll add few cups worth of beans of that type too..
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

no, darn it, phooey dagnabbit
wink.gif
(Saaaaabyyyyy?!?! what kind of cafe is this where you can't have a chat over a good cup of coffee??
mad.gif
mad.gif
grin.gif
)
but you can email me
cool.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yeah Ted and his Mac have issues with chat. Ted...something is possible in the works, maybe I will eMail you about it.

Anyway drink coffee I do not, but I do love hot chocolate. I ususally put coffee creamer in my cocoa though...does that count? I'll drink whatever is in the house but my absolute fav. is Starbucks hot cocoa. It's absolutely delicious! I don't roast OR grind my own cocoa but I usually will melt some chocolate in the bottom of the cup with my cocoa powder...YUM!

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went through a time where I tried every coffee from the grocery one at a time. I finally settled on Folgers Classic. Boring I know, but the way I drink it (lotta cream, lotta sugar)this one tasted the best and was the most consistent of all of them. To me the amount of coffee grounds used per water made all the difference.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't like coffee. Give me a nice cup of tea any day. Darjeeling is always nice..
Chinese tea is also pretty good. I used to drink a lot of pu-erh(?) when I was in Hong Kong.

Graham

D

**DONOTDELETE**

the last time I had pu-erh the dentist had to scrape 2 quadrants (rim-shot) but seriously, what is DD?
Saaby, listen( like Dustin Hoffman getting the advice of a lifetime in The Graduate) I have one word for you, chocolate head;
Sharffenberger...oh, and about the coffee 'creamer' -- stop that, it'll stunt your growth..
Jamaican Blue Mntn. crops, according to these folx, hasn't been so good for a couple years, and is 5x the price of other excellent coffee beans.. http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.reviewarchive.g-k.html

aso

Enlightened
Ted

Here's a clue(classic ad):

time to make the donuts

SFR

Newly Enlightened
When I have to buy coffee at a Starbuck's or a Gloria Jean's, I like to buy the cold, slushy kinds.

When I'm at the office, it's free-ninety-free so I just have whatever's on tap. Just have to sweeten and lighten it up with sugar and cream.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aso:
Ted

time to make the donuts
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
the Master of D'oh thanks you for directing him to the path of enlightenment..
smile.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Finally, a discussion about coffee. Now, there are signs of intelligent life on the planet.
grin.gif

Instead of jumping into roast/beans/brand, you've got to start out with the some basics e.g., whole beans and bottled water.

Best way to make it? French press but I rarely have the time. A press can turn bad beans into something fairly consumable. If no press, then I compromise and use a drip maker.

On to the tender subject of beans. For cheap and suprisingly good taste, Folgers Columbian is good. I really don't care for Starbucks except for the Lightnote roast. It seems that Starbucks insists, actually commands, you to have a heavy roast, very earthy and/or peaty flavor. To my unsophisticated palate, the Seattle experience is too hearty - they all have a dirt flavor, just some roasts have less than others. I have to ask for room for extra half & half. I just wish they'd left a little more of the Pacific Northwest at home.

In So. Cal, I like Deidrich's and in particular their roasts of Sumatra, Huehuetenango and Kona beans. It might be the same/similar beans that Starbucks has but unlike the Big "S", they come out well.

For pure coffee enjoyment, I've never had JBM but I hear it delicious although I wonder how much of that deliciousness is due to the price per lb. If you can afford something besides a blend, I think Kona is really hard to beat.

Please, let's not waste gigabytes and bandwidth talking about flavored coffees. Although I've never been, I imagine that some of them taste like something you'd get in a whorehouse lobby.
grin.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's called "Brazil Ipanema Bourbon" or something similar by Starbucks. It's in that silver bag. Nice and smooth, with a touch of chocolate.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by aso:

Ted
time to make the donuts

Posted by Ted the Led:
the Master of D'oh thanks you for directing him to the path of enlightenment...

Huh?
confused.gif
I must really be in the dark--I still don't get it.
blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flashfan:
Huh?
confused.gif
I must really be in the dark--I still don't get it.
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm... I *think* I got it right, so I'll offer up the next clue:

Q: What do you do when there's a doughnut and a cupajoe sitting directly in front of you?

A: You ____ it. (No, not THAT!! Get your mind out of the toilet!!)
wink.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now (as I am every summer) I am hooked on Gazebo blend from Starbucks. They have it in the summer and only in the summer. Clean crisp taste, very little aftertaste, But packs a powerful full bodied punch the first few seconds in the mouth. Wonderful, iced too. The only coffee that I will drink black. (My reflux is too bad to allow otherwise...)

What is your favorite?