what does 'SOS' mode means?

Miracle

Enlightened
with regards to LED torch,

can some kind souls please tell me what does 'SOS' mode means?

:huh2:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if anyone has an experience of this mode saving their life or limb.

I find it annoying to have to go through this extra mode on a few of the flashlights I have.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
EngrPaul said:
I wonder if anyone has an experience of this mode saving their life or limb.

I find it annoying to have to go through this extra mode on a few of the flashlights I have, and it's very annoying.
Indeed it's used in Alaska often!!

I'm speculating that if the room for the code is there, then the manufacturers/programmers are saying "what the heck" throw it in? :thinking:

I really don't mind if it's a "selectable" function, but if one has to cycle throw it to get to another function or turn the light off - then it can be an annoyance. I guess I'd rather have it than not, up here.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's one of the dumbest thing since reality tv. If you really were in an emergency, wouldnt you think it would be sufficient with just a light or a blinking light (unless you're in a Panic room with a couple of robbers outside... :whistle: )? I can imagine a helicopter rescue crew seeing a blinking light on the ocean and thinking, "Nope, that's not morse for SOS, theyre probably just fine out in this raging storm in that tiny raft.". But I dont mind as Sigman, if it is an option you dont have to toggle through.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Lobo said:
I can imagine a helicopter rescue crew seeing a blinking light on the ocean and thinking, "Nope, that's not morse for SOS, theyre probably just fine out in this raging storm in that tiny raft."
:crackup:

lexina

Enlightened
I even have it on my led light on my Sony Ericsson W810i mobile! First time i had seen it and I thought it was neat!

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Lobo said:
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's one of the dumbest thing since reality tv. If you really were in an emergency, wouldnt you think it would be sufficient with just a light or a blinking light (unless you're in a Panic room with a couple of robbers outside... :whistle: )? I can imagine a helicopter rescue crew seeing a blinking light on the ocean and thinking, "Nope, that's not morse for SOS, theyre probably just fine out in this raging storm in that tiny raft.". But I dont mind as Sigman, if it is an option you dont have to toggle through.

I was always scornful of it myself, but then you read things like this. There are times when that SOS is going to alert someone that isn't expecting you to be in distress.
I suppose that it's one of those things where your situation will affect your perspective rather significantly (the population of London tend not to keep supplies against getting snowed in - Alaskans might feel a bit differently about this!).

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting article! I'm not mocking the SOS-signal, but the SOS-mode. In all fairness, he could have just clicked the light on and off by himself, which I also guess he did. Perhaps there is one in a million kind of emergency where you have your hands tied up and need help very fast, but to me it's more of a gimmick and annoyance than something really usefull.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Lobo said:
If you really were in an emergency, wouldnt you think it would be sufficient with just a light or a blinking light ... I can imagine a helicopter rescue crew seeing a blinking light on the ocean and thinking, "Nope, that's not morse for SOS, theyre probably just fine out in this raging storm in that tiny raft.".
Having a recognizable pattern that eliminates random flashes/reflections helps search crews keep focused. It's also good to have conventions like that, takes the guesswork out of visual communication; it's the sort of standard language we've agreed upon. (Just like when you are signaling for help: you wave both arms asking for help; you wave one arm, and you're saying you don't need help!)

Anyway, I can think of multiple situations where the victim(s) are injured, in shock (from the accident), almost dead with hypothermia... I can almost guarantee their brains will be too busy with other tasks (or frozen in panic) to remember what the "help" code was. Like I said, having a pre-determined standard beacon built into your attention-gathering device takes some guesswork out of the situation and may improve your chances of rescue.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
a simple blink would work just as well
greenLED said:
Having a recognizable pattern that eliminates random flashes/reflections helps search crews keep focused. It's also good to have conventions like that, takes the guesswork out of visual communication; it's the sort of standard language we've agreed upon. (Just like when you are signaling for help: you wave both arms asking for help; you wave one arm, and you're saying you don't need help!)

Anyway, I can think of multiple situations where the victim(s) are injured, in shock (from the accident), almost dead with hypothermia... I can almost guarantee their brains will be too busy with other tasks (or frozen in panic) to remember what the "help" code was. Like I said, having a pre-determined standard beacon built into your attention-gathering device takes some guesswork out of the situation and may improve your chances of rescue.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
It means you paid for an useless function.

Unless you are badly injured and drifting in and out of consciousness.

Setting your light to SOS mode could save your life...then you've paid for a life saving function IMO.

CFU

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Having an SOS mode is certainly useful and can be a life-saving accrssory; I just find it annoying to have to go through SOS mode to get to another mode (usually, "Off").