$50 to spend on a magcharger. What to buy?

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
My sister's boyfriend just bought a Magcharger for 100 dollars. With Xmas coming up, I wanna buy good presents this year since I couldn't do it well last year w/my limited spendings.

Anyways, I wanna spend about 40 to 50 bucks on his magcharger. What would you guy's recommend I buy to modify this magcharger to it's fullest for that price? Just a list of the materials and $$$ would be great! IE: bulb, battery, so and so. It has to be able to recharge with it's original charger, though.

Thanks!

Dan K

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best thing that I ever did for mine was install one of the improved reflectors. I have a fivemega light stipple reflector in mine and it really improved the beam and overall usefulness of the light.

Nebula

Enlightened
Shiny - Take RG's advice. I picked up FM's LS reflector for my new Magcharger recently and can attest to the much improved beam especially with the stock bulb. I believe that FM has them for $36.00. That leaves a little for another bulb.

BTW - you want to be careful with the more powerful bulbs, as the bi-pin socket on the Magcharger can melt. Next Christmas you can pick up FM's ceramic bi-pin socket for the Magcharger (assuming that he makes another run). Good luck. Kirk

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
OK thanks guys. So stay away from WA1185 bulb eh?

As of now it looks like I'll need (well..want)

1. Reflector from fivemega--does that one create a cleaner THROW beam? or is it diffused. I want THROW.
2. WA1160 bulb
3. If I get a new bulb, a ceramic bulb housing for the bipin heat.

Where can I find the ceramic bulb housing before Xmas?
W/that setup, what kind of power increase will I see?

edited for idiocy

Nebula

Enlightened
powernoodle said:
Is that FM LS reflector still pretty throwy, or leaning more toward diffused and floody? Thanks.

I find the throw to be better than the stock reflector. That may be because the FM reflector cleans up the beam. Yes, there is more sidespill but for me that is a benefit. IIRC this subject was covered in a post about a month ago. The poster indicated that he liked the FM reflector with stock bulb better than the FM reflector with the ??? (I think it was the 1166) bulb. I have retained the stock bulb for now. When it blows I will try the hotter bulb.

I understand that when using the hotter bulbs with the MC you run the risk of overheating and possibly melting the stock bi-pin socket. I purchased the FM ceramic socket as a work around. Since I still run the stock bulb I have not installed the ceramic socket. When I find time I will do so even if I continue to run the stock bulb.

Kirk

Meduza

Enlightened
to reduce the chance to melt the socket you can put a mica sheet to protect it.

Meduza

Enlightened
to reduce the chance to melt the socket you can put in a mica sheet to protect it.

Meduza

Enlightened
to reduce the chance to melt the socket you can put in a mica sheet to protect it.

9P12volt

Newly Enlightened
Mica Sheet?

What exactly is a "mica sheet", and where can I find one? Is there anything else that can be applied to the stock socket (with stock reflector) that will reduce the heat given off by a WA1160?

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you cannot get a mica shield, (mica is a natural mineral that is in clear sheets, like flexible glass, being a mineral it is fireproof), from Litho123 then you can get just about any type of heat shield material from an electric supply or electronics outfit. There is made some cheap tapes for this. A sliver of shield between the bulb and slug is all that is needed.
I have modded a MC from the 1160, great first upgrade, white light about 400 lumens, to brighter 7.2 volt systems. The brighter bulbs require you insulate the reflector. I found it could be done by popping the reflector out of the plastic frame and putting in 4 thin pads of of fiberglass felt, used in auto body repair and available cheap from retail auto supply shops including walmart, bondo brand is common. Gluing it in is a trick. Super glue works. The problem is fuming from the heat of the bulb.
7.2 volts require different custom battery packs and a modified charger. But then you can run wa1111 at 550 lumens or phillips 5761 at 896 to over 940 lumens which most people do not realize is brighter in many applications than the beloved wa1185. The 1160 and 1111 are not very hot and only need the mica shield. The 1185 and 5761 require insulating the stock reflector if you use extended run times or buying the FM reflector; they are hot bulbs. The stock reflector or smooth reflector has more throw than stipple or orange peel reflectors but will show bulb element shadows, called artifacts. Bulb etching with glass etching will frost a bulb and give a smooth hot spot.

Your best bet is the 1160, a little bit of shield on the slug and an upgraded battery pack, greater capacity. A nice easy upgrade is to get some glass etching from a hobby shop and frost any bulb, from the bottom up to a point just past the element, leave the top clear. This will give a beautiful smooth appearance to any output.

You have picked a very nice gift to give to someone. You may just start someone down the road to flashaholism.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin said:
Am I correct that this is the link for the upgraded NiMH battery packs? http://www.batterieswholesale.com/nimh.htm

Which pack is the correct one for the MC upgrade?

Finally, can the "upgraded" NiMH pack be recharged in the stock MC charging cradle?

Thanks for any guidance.
That is the link someone posted where they got their pack, the pack is a 5x 1/2 D, 1.2 volt pack. OEM is 2200 mAh and I gues you can get them up around 4000 mAh here.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Northern Lights said:
That is the link someone posted where they got their pack, the pack is a 5x 1/2 D, 1.2 volt pack. OEM is 2200 mAh and I gues you can get them up around 4000 mAh here.

Thanks, Northern Lights.