7W, 8W, 9W, 10W, 12W, 16W - bottom line?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two or three places selling led flashlights with the above mentioned ratings. I have found only bits and pieces of information...what is the bottom line? Are these "16W" lights 3 times (or even 2 times) brighter than a 5W light? Are these LEDs likely to burn out in a radically shorter timeframe than 5W LEDs? Is the jury still out?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
All just marketing BS - borderline lying.

They're stating how much power is being drawn from the batteries, not how much power is being delivered to the LED.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have posted on this before but cannot remember the thread just now. Many of the Chinese flashlights advertise the total system power useage which is not realistic to the power on the LED. Additionally a business associate of mine in China who exports flashlights has explained to me the acceptable marketing practice that loosely translates to English as "exagerated wind". He told me of an incident that happened this summer. A manufacturer showed him a competitor to the venerable 7 watt Goston and tallied up the power and called it a 12W. That week a competitor announced a similiarly built light and called it a 15W. Now remember the lights are the same so the producer of the 12W recalled their lights and held shipments then renamed them all 16W lights. My friend was beside himself, but that is how business prospers in some markets.

In the US we usually rate lights by the power consumtion or output of the emitter. Most of the Chinese lights are either 1W, 3W, 5W LEDs or clones of the K2 which is I think a 6.5 watt. If they are overdriven, yes, they can have a higher rating in actual use but that rarely is the case in relationship to the product description. Over driving does shorten the life but on the overall life spand you are more likely to wear the light out, the switches will break and you will batter the thing to death before you burn out an overdriven LED on a commercially massed produced product. The expected life of LEDs is so long over driving is OK.

You mention two places, must be QualityChinaGoods and FifthUnit. Both have greaat reviews on CPF. Both post beam shot tests. Look at the actual test pictures and make your choice. Choose by light output numbers, those are usually correct and not inflated.

One thread on CPF was about the new K2 12 watt. One vendor who tested it stated that the overall output on the high mode appeared less the the old Golston 7w. Lux readings on the light on QualityChinaGoods is slightly higher for the 12w than 7w. But if you look at the beam shot, the 7W is wider. The same reflector is used and there is a difference in geometry of the two LEDs. So, a wider beam will have a lower intensity, lux, reading. Makes sense? So I find I need a little wider throw than the 12w and that means the 7w puts more light where I need it. If you need a little more light on a smaller area the 12W would give you that. This type of comparison goes accross the board for all those lights you listed. Again look at beam shots, size of the spot and the lux reading and balance what you need. Hope this helps. I know the lux readings and beam shots on QualityChinaGoods are done by that company themselves, by our member DAE, and are reasonable and accurate enough to be very fair. I believe FifthUnit has their own comparison program too.

Last edited:

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Thanks for the detailed information!

So, the bottom line is that the 7w - 16W ratings DO NOT equate to 2 - 3 times the light output of a 5W, but these lights ARE worth buying.

"exagerated wind" - reminds me of the text of the old "Shaper Image" catalog :)

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Stainless said:
exagerated wind" - reminds me of the text of the old "Shaper Image" catalog :)
When I think of the term "exaggerated wind", I imagine someone who brags about their farts. :ohgeez:

rdh226

Enlightened
evan9162 said:
All just marketing BS - borderline lying.

They're stating how much power is being drawn from the batteries, not how much power is being delivered to the LED.
Actually . . .

They're stating "equivilent to old style" ratings...i.e., their LED is "equivilent" to a 7W incandescent"
(i.e., old style; previous generation; what people are familiar with, and can compare against).

I don't consider this BS, just one way of passing information. Consider "digital cameras".
Everyone states "35-140mm optical zoom lens", when the actual lens is 8-32mm. Lying? BS? No,
just stating "35mm camera equivilent", terms that many (no, not all) folks will actually and
meaningfully comprehend, and that puts all cameras (well, all that use the same mapping
of lens' focal length to 35mm equivilent) on an equal footing, easy to compare.

Can it be misinterpreted? Yes, of course.

-RDH

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
rdh226 said:
Actually . . .

They're stating "equivilent to old style" ratings...i.e., their LED is "equivilent" to a 7W incandescent"

(i.e., old style; previous generation; what people are familiar with, and can compare against).

...........content edited out for brevety............

Can it be misinterpreted? Yes, of course.

-RDH

For 36 years (qualifies for "old style") I have been in the sales of, around, though and been a major consumer and user of law enforcement tactical equipment to include all sorts of portable lighting. I have never heard of any incadescent rated by the #W system used on LEDs. I never saw those notations and description until the Luxeon type LEDs became popular a few years ago. Before that with the 3 and 5 mm multi-LED lights the practice of counting and numbering the amount of LEDs in the thing was and still is used. This "their LED is "equivilent" to a 7W incandescent"" is a new legend to me.

The Golston 7W was refered as the 7W because you can tweak the numbers with the original version to get the overall power use at 7W. Buried in here somewhere are references to it:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/103057

So you have given me the chance I have been waiting for quite a while, I have been wanting to write: "Please enlighten me!" Bad pun but maybe you have a different experience to the retail world of flashlights than I have had, then we have both learned something.

Thanks,

NL