How to Open up an Orb Raw? *OPENED*

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Hi all, I am thinking about opening up my Orb Raw to try and change the LED (you know, with the one called XR-E) in it. Has anyone done this operation without causing serious damage (both cosmetic and functional) to the light? a tutorial with pictures would be great. :)

Before you ask me to do a search, I have and came up with nothing that teaches specifically how to open it up. If anyone knows of one, I would appreciate if you would point me in the right direction. I have only found these but feel there is not sufficient documentation on how to open it.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96621&highlight=orb+raw

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91748&highlight=orb+raw

cgpeanut in his post has stated that he could screw in the DD pcb. However, I have tried unscrewing the board without success and I am hesitant to apply more force without more verification that the board wouldn't buckle under the pressure. Do we need to heat the bezel up or something before we turn it? Or am I just plain stupid?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Robban

Enlightened
Re: How to Open up an Orb Raw?

I don't know if this applies to the new Raws but I have the original from the first run and to take that one apart it's just a matter of tapping on the lens and the whole assembly falls right out. I'm guessing since you're having troubles they have changed this.

Oh well, free bump if nothing else :)

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened

Thanks robban, tapping on the lens? That I will certainly try. Could your module turn round and round while in the bezel? Mine doesn't even give the slightest hint of a turn when i tried turning it.

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened

Unscrew the light, tap the base of the front end (bezel facing upwards!) on a flat surface that won't mar it (a chopping board for instance) several times.

You should find that the internals drop out easily enough this way. You can reassemble it doing the same thing only holding the bezel upside down, just be careful to seat the glass window & reflector squarely in the bezel.

ginaz

Enlightened

mine just falls right to pieces. i have to be careful when changing batteries.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine has a very slight tolerence fit but if you give it enough of a tap it comes right out. The lens was a bit tighter and I just left it in.

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened

Thanks to Robban, D MacAlpine, Ginaz, Concept and Chester! I finally found the courage to give a harder push from the lens of my Orb Raw. The assembly did come out but it was not as easy as it was for you guys. It really needed more of a push than a tap. I guess mine has a really tight fit. Not that it's bad though. Now for that Cree to come along.....