Laptop, what to get

B@rt

Flashaholic
I'm thinking about replacing my desktop computer
with a laptop. (my wife hates the computer buzzing all day...) It will mostly be used to access the internet. What would be a good and economical choice?
Thanks,

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...well, most of my preferences for laptops would not fall into the 'economical' category...
rolleyes.gif

But anyway..in terms of quality alone Toshiba or IBM are good choices, but may be pricey. After that, Dell would probably be my next recommendation. Pretty good prices, and quite reasonable build quality. I don't recommend Compaq at all.

To recommend specific models would require a better understanding of your needs - ie, OS preference, screen size, etc..

Graham

B@rt

Flashaholic
Operating system: Windows 98 is fine, as long as capabilities are enough to surf comfortably, I really don't care...
tongue.gif

Same goes for the screen size. I'm used to a Sony 17 inch monitor, so I guess something like 15 inch would be ok?
I use broadband internet access.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
toshiba all the way.
i see few problems with them.
dells are ok.
compaq is at the bottom with the nonames.
we repair more compaq notebooks than all the others combined.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I use a Toshiba and it's old and slow but it works. Graham and Snakebite are probably better sources on this but I kinda like Sonys too...they seem nice and you can get the lower models (Still nice, and plenty of power for cruzing the net...just not the latest and greatest) for good prices.

Or alternatively you could fix your computer and make it quieter...what is making all the noise?

Greta

Flashaholic
I'm on my 3rd Compaq... 5th in the family. And not because they have gone bad. Sure I've had problems but every single one of them has been from HEAVY use and abuse. My laptops get a workout! One of them doesn't even have letters on the keys anymore.

The only thing I can honestly say that I don't like about Compaq is their customer support. It flat out sucks! So I buy through Staples and get their warranty. That solves that problem...
grin.gif

Footlight

Newly Enlightened
Probably not very economical at $2600, but I've just ordered a Toshiba 5105-S702 to use at work. The main problem with it seems to be finding it in stock anywhere, as it is a very recent release

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I would say go for a Toshiba if you can pick one which meets your needs and is also in your price range. If it is too expensive, then consider a Dell.

Graham

Spork

Enlightened
I would suggest you stay with a desktop computer unless you have a specific need for a laptop. you will pay more and get less for your money.
my 2 cents that could save you a little more than 2 cents.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my laptop b/c I can sit in bed or in front of the TV with my wife and not get in as much trouble. I also have desktop and can't remember the last time I used it. I have a Sony VAIO it was about $2000 and have not had any problems with it.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Lets see Bart...

You have a computer with broadband and you'll soon have a laptop, well I think you also need a router with wireless LAN and a card for your laptop...surf anywhere in the house! Battery dead? It's ok, surf anywhere there's an outlet.

Wireless is cool...we used Compaq iPaqs at school with wireless access, nothing like being able to surf the web sitting at your desk 100% wireless!!