Surefire U2 clone at Fifthunit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.1195.html

not much info yet, but you can download a zipfile with pictures...

DSC_8408.jpg

I'd really love an affordable light with U2 looks and functionality, but this looks to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen.... And judging by the pics in the zipfile, it's only going to look like a U2, not work like a U2...

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
i would definitely purchase this just for fun, only if the reflector is metal tho. but sadly from the pics it looks like the typical plastic kinds.

anyone know where we can purchase metal reflectors that will fit the U2 head?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. This is a blatant rip off. I am not offended, but it is a blatant rip off.

-Goatee

KnOeFz

Enlightened
It looks very nice....
It's priced very nice...
I hope it'll be very nice.
:popcorn:

I had seen the announcement on their website, but not the link with pix you provided.
Thnx!

Last edited:

MSI

Enlightened
From CPF rules:
"You agree, through your use of this BB, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly illegal or promotes illegal activity."

turbodog

Flashaholic
Something's not right about the picture. It's TOO close to a U2. I think they are using a U2 photo to promote their product. Expect to see the photo change to their model when they actually have a prototype to display.

Nell

Enlightened
Pretty darn close to the original. At 10 feet, it's the same. Kissing cousins.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
At issue here is whether or not it is ok to make and sell a look-alike flashlight.

I don't think it is a patent infringement to sell a light that looks like a U2 but functions differently. Maybe a trademark infringement, but I think the function prevents patent issues.

Scott

Loomy

Enlightened
Let the lawyers worry about legalities, because we aren't qualified (or paid) to.

On the flashlight, it is just a typical chinese clone of a popular device. Amusingly enough I think they improved it by removing the junky pocket clip :laughing::lolsign:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Yeah, and they removed that unreliable selectorswitch too! And the bezel can be opened to clean out lint and dust, and the luxeon is easily accessible for mods and donuthole corrections and I bet the clicky is more reliable too!

Would be pretty cool tho, if it had 6 levels too and at the usual fifthunit pricing...

hikari

Newly Enlightened
turbodog said:
Something's not right about the picture. It's TOO close to a U2. I think they are using a U2 photo to promote their product. Expect to see the photo change to their model when they actually have a prototype to display.

I don't think it's a pic of a real U2. Besides the obvious omission of the clip, the ogive of the head is different, and the fake's head is two pieces where the genuine is three, I believe (not sure about this, not owning one myself).

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
a blatant rip off, its obvious the intention is deception, i cant stand this type of stuff i dont care who or what or where its made, copycat poop is just that . and no its not a real U-2 you can tell by the reflector.

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
hikari said:
I don't think it's a pic of a real U2. Besides the obvious omission of the clip, the ogive of the head is different, and the fake's head is two pieces where the genuine is three, I believe (not sure about this, not owning one myself).

Not to mention, that looks like a Lux 3 and a smooth reflector. I can't believe how blatant this is. If anything, they'll get in trouble for actually putting the "Digital U2 Ultra" logo on the side of the light. Surefire owns that for sure.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if Surefire trademarks the appearance of their flashlights. If they were Mag-Lite, whoever's making this thing would have a busload of lawyers headed their way--and in this case I'd agree with them. Blatant ripoff. This type of thing drives me up the wall--read some economy magazines and you'll see articles about how much of the Chinese industry is based on intellectual property theft and nonexistent protection laws. I hope Surefire opens a can of lawsuit on them to block importation.

Lights like this are probably one of the reasons domestic flashlight makers' prices go up and production go down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts