$6.25 Elly 1 Watt has boost/regulated 2h 40m!

x2x3x2

Banned
http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.1120.html

I just decided to try a runtime test on the Elly on an Eneloop 2000mAH AA cell.

Runs about 2 hours 40 min then sharply drops in output. This suggest that my suspicion of regulated output is quite founded.
Pretty amazing from such a cheap light running only AA! The runtime on FU's site isnt accurate n doesnt do this light justice :)

Voltage measured across the emitter is about 3.2V from a 1.2V NiMH.
Light output is about the same as a Fenix L1P, however its not a Luxeon I, instead its one of those combos which is made up of multiple lower power emitters. Using an aspheric lens i can make out 5 distinct sources.

Last edited:

SuperNinja

Enlightened
I didn't see any mention of them here a few days ago, but I took the risk and went ahead and bought some anyway.

I am glad I bought 5 (along with a bunch of other crap), from them a couple days ago.

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amonra: I almost got one to do that. The reflector looks decently deep. And it's cheap!

Amonra

Enlightened
damn right it's cheap it's worth risking the test.
You and me seem to be on the same mental wavelength

x2x3x2

Banned
i was thinking of ways to make one better, but while looking for glass lenses.. a 24.7mm lens from flashlightlens.com cost $7, even more than the whole light itself! hehe

i'll probably just upgrade it with an xr-e with optic totalling about $15, cos the stock plastic reflector really bothers me as there are some specs of chipped of coating already :p

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may find something here: http://www.toolsgs.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=259
x2x3x2 said:
i was thinking of ways to make one better, but while looking for glass lenses.. a 24.7mm lens from flashlightlens.com cost $7, even more than the whole light itself! hehe

i'll probably just upgrade it with an xr-e with optic totalling about $15, cos the stock plastic reflector really bothers me as there are some specs of chipped of coating already :p

dim

Enlightened
Would these "Ellys" make good holiday gifts? Added up through out the season, they would be a fair bit cheaper than gifting a bunch of his/hers (black/natural) Inova X1s.

Output would seem to be 20 lumens for 2.5 hours on NiMHs and 75 minutes to 50% on alkies. Is this correct?

21 Lux from 5 emitters would seem to be floody. What is your impression of the beam? Spot? Spill?

What is the quality like? Does it look and feel like a nice piece or like a cheap flashlight? Is their quality consistant from flashlight to flashlight - constant beams, tint, clickies, build, etc.?

How does the output, quality and VALUE of the Elly compare to the 1AA UltraFire Luxeon flashlights on FifthUnit's site, the Charm (602A) and the Vippa (602A1)?

At 4.17" with a flaired head, the Elly seems large for a 1AA flashlight. How does the size compare to other 1AA flashlights?

From the pics on FifthUnit's site, the Elly appears attractive. Does it look as good in the hand as it does in the pics? Do they come in black?

TIA!!

dim

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think you'll get them in time for christmas fellows. Since they ship from over seas, and this time of year the postal systems get really messed up with all the mail. Early november is cutting it close, and we are past that.

Even waiting to order until the rush is over with might be a good idea, as a lot of mail can be lost this time of year...

I bet it's splashable, but not sumbmergable for long periods. For less than $7 it's cheap enough to try out and mod and do whatever you want with. The runtime doesn't seem bad for a cheapy.

x2x3x2

Banned
@dim

from a cosmetic point, their finishing does look cheap, not like the pics on the website sadly as all of mine came with slight dings and scratches. however when held in hand, they feel solid enough, the walls of the body, head and tailcap are thick. about 1.5mm which beats the Fenix bodies in my opinion.

the beam is mostly spot, and tint is not consistant among the ones i got. some where white, some purple, some warm.

@carbine15

if u take the time to find suitable thicker o-rings, these can be made water proof. the o-rings included are pretty thin so i dont think they will hold a vacuum.
the threads on this light are thick, so u can tighten them enough to assure good fit.

1. there is a threaded metal ring inside the head which holds the lens and reflector in place, so getting an o-ring and tightening there shouldnt be a problem.
2. between the head and body will be the second area u would wanna check, o-rings here.
3. third would be between the body and tailcap, o-rings here as well.
4. lastly would be the clickie in the tailcap, lining the inner part of the rubber with some silicone epoxy would take care of that. thats pretty much it.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
"Runs about 2 hours 40 min then sharply drops in output" is this due to the nature of Nimh battery where its voltage tend to drop sharply? Have you tried it with Alk battery?

x2x3x2

Banned
nope, sorry bro i dont use anymore alkalines nowadays :) only rechargeables..

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
@dim

from a cosmetic point, their finishing does look cheap, not like the pics on the website sadly as all of mine came with slight dings and scratches. however when held in hand, they feel solid enough, the walls of the body, head and tailcap are thick. about 1.5mm which beats the Fenix bodies in my opinion.

the beam is mostly spot, and tint is not consistant among the ones i got. some where white, some purple, some warm.

@carbine15

if u take the time to find suitable thicker o-rings, these can be made water proof. the o-rings included are pretty thin so i dont think they will hold a vacuum.
the threads on this light are thick, so u can tighten them enough to assure good fit.

1. there is a threaded metal ring inside the head which holds the lens and reflector in place, so getting an o-ring and tightening there shouldnt be a problem.
2. between the head and body will be the second area u would wanna check, o-rings here.
3. third would be between the body and tailcap, o-rings here as well.
4. lastly would be the clickie in the tailcap, lining the inner part of the rubber with some silicone epoxy would take care of that. thats pretty much it.

Thanks for the update. making lights waterproof is a rewarding challenge. There are some that I just can't do (usually because of the switch).
one hour submerged is my default test and I'm happy to say that most of my lights survive this. The exception being my ROP in the rayovac. Slide switches are impossible to seal.

x2x3x2

Banned
here are some pics which u may find useful. everything screws on n off, no boiling or heating required :)

elly.jpg

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a light from Hong Kong (which is where Fifth Unit is) and it took a week to get to me in California. I think it's still safe to order for Christmas, but you may be cutting it close.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the tailswitch is air tight I could turn this into a dive capable light with some beefier o-rings, plumbers tape and elbow grease.

x2x3x2

Banned
hi carbine15, if u manage to locate some beefier o-rings which fit please post ur source k? im having trouble finding good o-rings to fit...

my estimate is they should have an outer diameter diameter of 2.45cm for head/body and lens parts, and 1.8cm for the tailcap.
after adding glass lens and xr-e with reflector this should be a great light with an option to run 3.7v 14500 cells as well as standard AA when needed :)

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
232: you gonna mod it to XRE? how deep is the reflector compared to it's diameter?

The light looks easy to just swap a star too for the less skilled modders.

x2x3x2

Banned
yup, im just waiting for the Q2 bin to become available. should be at the end of the month according to cutter.com
the star is easily swappable by unscrewing 2x retaining screws and desoldering the +ve and -ve contact wires.

also u might want to dab on some thermal paste along the outer edge of the star u are replacing with, thats where it makes contact with the body for heatsinking. right below the star is a hollow cavity where the electronics are, lotsa free room there too

the head diameter inside is about 2.45cm, and it can fit anything between 0.5cm from lens to 3cm deep as the entire inner wall is threaded (see pic below). whatever reflector u choose to fit in should be able to be secured by the screw in retaining ring.

btw, do u have any suggestions on what metal reflector which would fit these dimensions?

elly1.jpg

elly2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts