Topomart        
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The SF A2 - Part 2

Default Re: The SF A2 - Part 2

I really need to save up again for a couple of 4 flats. They used to come across the MP every other day.. now they're all hiding.

Flashaholic*

Bumpity bump resurect this thread as it is not in the stickies I don´t think. It could be of interest to the lost incan love out there. Any of you old guard guys still enamored with your A2´s ? I know I am.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LED61 View Post
    Bumpity bump resurect this thread as it is not in the stickies I don´t think. It could be of interest to the lost incan love out there. Any of you old guard guys still enamored with your A2´s ? I know I am.
    Not since my last MA02 bulb died.

Flashaholic*

Mine sits on the bedside nightstand for my wife to grab when ever she needs it. Great light. Used it in war and peace. Functions just as a advertised. Will never leave my stable of lights.
    Prometheans #253

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by FPSRelic View Post
    Not since my last MA02 bulb died.
    Adapters and bulbs for a2 still available on the bay from Tad. His handle there is t.customs

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    Adapters and bulbs for a2 still available on the bay from Tad. His handle there is t.customs
    I'll have to check it out. Cheers.

Lumens factory still makes a incandescent bulb for them as well.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by LED61 View Post
    This thread is actually listed in the first post in the below link. I'm still using an A2 four flats once a week or so, and thanks to the generosity of a good friend have a Nichia Onion Ring en route for it. There's a ton of good A2 reading below...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...2-Thread-Index
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

I don't use mine much, but it is the one incandescent that has really stuck around. The perfect color, the regulated output, a warm white onion ring, and that gorgeous glow is enchanting when I do use it. Running a bi-pin adapter from Tad in mine too, has been a pretty good fit so far.

I have a surefire bulb as well as the HOA2 from LF and find that the HOA2 has less output and a floodier beam. Does that mean the SF bulb is something other than the original MA02?

I think it just means the stock A2 bulb is rated on SF lumens. My lumens factory A2 bulb is also more floody and not as bright. Guess you can’t beat SF original stuff.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

The A2 was such a great flashlight.
    John 3:16

Isn’t it still the only regulated incandescent?

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Maybe...

Willie Hunt did circuit work for a dropin 2d module. Replaces 2d with 8aa and a new high output bulb. soft start, regulation, etc.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Flashaholic*

There are phd-m6 regulated battery pack for M6 and also some phd drivers for D mags.

In stock form, yes.

Lol. Thank you fixer 😁

At one point I had the distinct pleasure of receiving a phone call on Friday nights from PK. Man we would laugh and talk about fun stuff like what cars our parents drove in the 70's, being a geek on a surf board and stuff like that.

He spoke of the Kroma, the U2 and the "only regulated light bulb flashlight" the A2. He said just the idea of it was seen as though he was telling folks who thought the earth is flat that it is actually round. Same folks who said the anti roll head would never catch on. The A2 is a marvel in a number of ways. It was designed strictly for military use (based on a concept by JustRite) so it was built to be very durable. Civilians liked it too.

The JustRite was a 2aa number with a slider switch and a thumb operated red lens to cover the bulb. It has been said there were some blue lens versions but to my knowledge none remain. The WW2 version was an alluminum body covered with olive drab plastic. The Korea/Vietnam version was solid alluminum with a twist tailcap switch also in future military flashlights.

Top to bottom:
    - SureFire A2 with a green LED array.
    - JustRite aviator with pushbutton twisty switch.
    - JustRite aviator with sliding pocket clip switch system.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-19-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    This thread is actually listed in the first post in the below link. I'm still using an A2 four flats once a week or so, and thanks to the generosity of a good friend have a Nichia Onion Ring en route for it. There's a ton of good A2 reading below...

Great ! May I suggest it also go to the top in the incan forum ? There´s been some questions on incans lately there and this thread has all the answers.

Flashaholic*

I think it just means the stock A2 bulb is rated on SF lumens. My lumens factory A2 bulb is also more floody and not as bright. Guess you can’t beat SF original stuff.
    I find the Fivemega bipin strion socket with the stion bulb is the brightest and whitest iteration of the A2. Safe to use, good runtime. Unless you use extended runs the bulb envelope becomes quite hot and darkens a bit, rendering the brighter output useless. The stock bulb is also great. The LF bulb should not be all that floody, there were a few defective ones I remember the first one I got had that defect and Mark replaced it for me.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    I have a surefire bulb as well as the HOA2 from LF and find that the HOA2 has less output and a floodier beam. Does that mean the SF bulb is something other than the original MA02?

here you go all the info on bulbs and beamshots https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-amp-Unfrosted

Surefire used xenon/halogen mix in their lamps. This contributed to their longevity.

Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post

Oh wow, I can't believe it has been already almost 12 years since I started that thread. Time flies! I was a student back then, I used to read so much about the A2 but it was a bit too expensive for me back than - actually DM51 (the old folks will remember him :-)) gifted me a new SF A2, I will never forget his generosity.
    I somehow had a love and hate relationship with the A2, maybe because there weren't really good rechargeable options without sacrificing the runtime too much and also impacting the lifetime of the LED ring (since it would drive it at higher voltage). Of course there were custom made LED rings that would work with rechargeable batteries. At some point I got rid of the A2. Then many years later I bought it back because of the nostalgia. Then I sold it again, and now reading about it I wish I didn't sell :-D. As I said, it's a complicated relationship. I wonder how much the elusive purple A2 cost now - if they are ever sold...
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567