OPINION: How do you prefer a light to turn on?

havand

Enlightened
How does everyone prefer their lights to turn on?
I'm talking about for rugged outdoor camping/hiking style use?

1) Head Reverse threaded (lights turns on as you unscrew it - keeps dirt out of threads while not in use)
2) Head Regular threaded (keeps dirt out of threads WHILE in use)
3) Same as 2, but via a tailcap
4) Button

I assume most people would want a twistie for reliability reasons? Thoughts? Opinions?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the SureFire 2-stage tailcaps best, like the A2, L2, etc.

Push for low; push harder for high. Twist for low; twist more for high.

The thing I like about that switch setup is that you can be outside doing something with the low light, and all you have to do to check something in the distance is push the button. When you release it you are back to low. Very convenient.

Scott

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 'one handed' lights I like #2. For big lights I like #4. Arthritis makes big twisties difficult for me and even if I didn't have it, there are many times when I can't afford two hands just to turn a light on or off.

I still stock big, two handed dive twisties for use when nothing else will work.

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twistie for me, for all types of lights. Like it due to the reliability issue.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a small light, Civictor/E1 type (regular thread front twisty) is about the most useful, especially as I'm left handed and the turn on motion is the natural twist direction when holding the light in my left hand. For a big light, the side button (assuming the maker utilizes the extra room to put in a larger, INDUSTRIAL quality clicky) would be my ergonomic preference.

havand

Enlightened
This is interesting...I thought for sure that for slightly larger (2xcr123) rugged NEED to work lights it would be a twistie...I'm not really getting that from the responses. Seems like people want a pushbutton tailcap?

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
havand said:
This is interesting...I thought for sure that for slightly larger (2xcr123) rugged NEED to work lights it would be a twistie...I'm not really getting that from the responses. Seems like people want a pushbutton tailcap?

Well I believe we are sort of forced into twisties whether we like it or not.
They are very simple to make.
I think this one fact has had a great impact on the current situation.
Also a push button switch, whether tail or side, increases the overall length
of the light.

Its very sad that Mr Bulk's side switch lights are not well known with recent members on this forum.
His departure from this site was regrettable from the stand point of the side switch lights he created with member Georges80.
Interest died when he left.

He created a very simple light that utilized a very novel driver/side switch setup that today is regulated, full dimming, auto switch lockout, and other nice features. Anyone interested in more info can visit Georges80's website
Click
or the clickable link in my signiture.

Last edited:

havand

Enlightened
I've looked at his work before. A bunch of his boards look VERY attractive, but they tend to be on the large side. up to 1". That is a pretty big light! for anything smaller, they're just not practical. I wish he made smaller ones (<0.75").

Anglepoise said:
Well I believe we are sort of forced into twisties whether we like it or not.
They are very simple to make.
I think this one fact has had a great impact on the current situation.
Also a push button switch, whether tail or side, increases the overall length
of the light.

Its very sad that Mr Bulk's side switch lights are not well known with recent members on this forum.
His departure from this site was regrettable from the stand point of the side switch lights he created with member Georges80.
Interest died when he left.

He created a very simple light that utilized a very novel driver/side switch setup that today is regulated, full dimming, auto switch lockout, and other nice features. Anyone interested in more info can visit Georges80's website
Click
or the clickable link in my signiture.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
havand said:
I've looked at his work before. A bunch of his boards look VERY attractive, but they tend to be on the large side. up to 1". That is a pretty big light! for anything smaller, they're just not practical. I wish he made smaller ones (<0.75").

His D2DM is 0.840" in Diameter, and has the side switch , More info

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm with Sub Umbra and nerdgineer. Regular twistie for a small light and a side clickie on the big boys.

Geoff