U2 or Kroma - Help me choose.

TonyBPD

Enlightened
I have an opportunity to pick up either a U2 or a Kroma for the same price. Nice price mind you. I have read reviews on both and like them both but can only afford one.

Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
why dont you tell us what you want to do with it?..as a great all around flashlight and the brightest of the 2 pick the u-2 , if you have a reason to have colored light then the K2 is something to think about but it doesn't impress me at all.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
The KROMA would be useful if (1) you have a use for the colored LEDs, or (2) you have a use for the different beam characteristics (even flood for the colored LEDs, TIR optic for the primary white LED), or (3) you find the shorter, less massive head of the KROMA to be easier to EDC. Otherwise, the U2 would probably be a better option.

dchao

Enlightened
Playing devil's advocate here. As a part of your "collection" to suppliment your L2,L4,L5, I would recommend the K2. Because you have quite a few white Lux lights already, K2's color LED's are very different to the rest of your lights. Ultra smooth, two stage color LED's will sure to make your collection stand out. Red/Blue LED's are good for signalling, and fun to play with.

Last edited:

M I K

Enlightened
The fiscally dysfunctional State of Kommiefornia
I have a U2 that I love. I looked at a Kroma in a Sporting Goods store the other day. I have no desire for it. Unless one has a use for the colors, the U2 is brighter. Size wise I think they are about the same. I think the U2's click switch with momentary is handier also. JMHO Good Luck.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I agree - if you need the colored LED's, the Kroma is an awesome light which doesn't compromise a ton of brightness for the white LED... however, if you just need the white, the U2 was for sure the right decision. :)

frankbyerswat

Newly Enlightened
I perfer to U2.It can covers hike,homeuse,&Tactical use.
Kroma fits hunt,hike more.
So choose it follow your need.

Miracle

Enlightened
I was going to get the U2...

but now I will be getting the Creed version of the Fenix P1D CE

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a suspicion that the U2 will still outdo the upcoming Cree P1 from Fenix. I would not wait on the Fenix and not buy the U2, I would wait on the next Kroma that uses the Cree or something like it. That will be a light to behold.

I have not heard that Surefire is going to release a Cree based Kroma but I cannot think of any reason why they would not.

As to the original question, I think that you made a good choice. If white light is what you want, then the U2 puts out more of it with more options. If you needed red and blue, then there is no question that the Kroma is your light.

-Goatee