Target Must Have's!

Ultrastick

Newly Enlightened
Was wondering what the forumites thought might be the top must have lights from Target, perhaps in two groups: incandescent and LED.

All I have is several of the Brinkman Maxfire LX's, which of course are great. I know what the forum thinks of the River Rock LED camping lantern and I plan to get one of those too.

Other than that I just go to Target and look at the lights and don't know what to get.

Your help appreciated!

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I like the River Rock 2AAA but I didn't replace it, after I gave mine to my brother, because I really don't need a 2AAA light.

I think a Maxfire style light is a must have and the Dorcy super 1 watt is a must have. A lot of the Forum members are partial to the Inovas as well. I bought the super 1 watt to replace the X5 as a bedside cell drainer.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
As mentioned, the RR 2xAAA and the Dorcy super 1 watt are keepers. The Inova X1 is a complete waste of money. I bought 2 because they're recommended by some here at CPF. However, my Dorcy AAA (with reflector) is a little brighter with a similar but better beam. I don't know about the rest of the Inova models, but judging from the X1, I won't be buying any other Inovas. In fact, the Gerber Infinity Ultra is brighter with an inherently smoother beam, and by far, a more useable light.

So, skip the Inova X1, but for sure go for the Dorcy Super 1 watt, and the RR 2xAAA.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Some other decent lights from Target that I'm familiar with are the Energizer 4AA Folding Lantern, Energizer 2AAA Penlight, River Rock 2AAA Headlamp, and Inova X1. Lots of other choices too. The little Dorcy 1 watt 1CR123 has had good reviews as have the larger Inovas. Sort of depends on your needs/likes.

Geoff

Mikeg23

Enlightened
lightningbug said:
I don't know about the rest of the Inova models, but judging from the X1, I won't be buying any other Inovas. In fact, the Gerber Infinity Ultra is brighter with an inherently smoother beam, and by far, a more useable light.

I feel the same way about Inova due to my X5, though I admit it may be unfair to Inova. I wish target sold Gerber lights.

I am impressed by Inovas packaging though. Being able to test the light in the store is a big plus unless the other customers have already ran the battery down.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
cutlerylover said:
Whats the difference again between the new Inova XO's and the old ones?:thinking:

New ones are smaller, but have a flared head to house a reflector. New ones have a floodier beam, though they still have a hot spot. The old ones were longer and "fatter" and have a very tight beam due to their TIROS optics.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new X0 has a flared head and a floody beam style compared to the slimline body of the old one, similar to the X5, and a tighter TIROS lens system beam.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
+ on the River Rock 2AAA
+ on the River Rock Headlamp (reminds me mine is lost in my truck somewhere)
+ on the Dorcy Super 1W 1x123

If I could afford it, I'd already have a new reflector X0!

And let me add that I find the Inova Radiant 2AAA to be a pretty nice little light in it's own right....

cbdudley

Enlightened
I like most of the River Rock lights, but I would avoid the 3 AAA (LED/incan hybrid) and the 1 AA models. I tried both of these and ended up returning them.

The River Rock 2 AAA, 1 AAA and lantern are all excellent values. The Dorcy Super 1 Watt (CR123A) is a bit more expensive at $20, but well worth the price.

Note that they carry some additional lights in the sporting goods department, where the camping equipment is located.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, you already know about the Maxfire.

Another one would be the River Rock 2AAA model. A good bargain at only $10

The black one is a handy back-up light. There's also a bright aluminum one that looks very Upscale. The perfect light for those formal functions. :)

If you want a light that sips batteries, Taget also sells the Nite-Ize conversion kits for the Mini-Mags. Tailcap switch + 3 bulb LEDs. (Also $10).

For a brighter Mini-Mag, Target also sells the 2AA Mini-magLED.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Inova X5, XO and XO3 are not the best deals around, but if you're looking to only buy lights at a brick & mortar store, Target's your best bet.

The Maxfire LX... I'd rather have a Surefire G2, but it is a good value. Then there's my favorite $10 light, the River Rock 2AAA.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
carrot said:
The Inova X5, XO and XO3 are not the best deals around, but if you're looking to only buy lights at a brick & mortar store, Target's your best bet.

They have the X1 too.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
Any of the Inova lights are winners. The X series especially. The X5 and XO have great run times.

Definately get a RR lantern or two. They are great in a power outage. Last time the power went out, I gave each kid one and they were all set. If anything, during a power outage it's a great light to leave in the bathroom to help find it.