UK: How do you stop others putting their rubbish in your wheelie bin ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here in the UK, there is an ongoing problem with rubbish collection.

A lot of councils are introducing bi-weekly collections now, to promote re-cycling.

This leads to problems with other householders placing their overflow rubbish into your own bin, once you have placed the bin OUT for collection.

Sometimes not "the correct rubbish" so that your bin is not emptied.

Some councils will not empty your bin if the lid is not fully closed.

Also, possible introduction of being charged by weight.

I'm contemplating different methods to stop this happening.

Magnetic alarm, or micro-switch, tied in with mercury switch so that they don't go off when emptied, early hours of the morning.

Margarine on handles, etc. (Not razor blades !)

Some sort of auto lock, that opens when bin upturned?

Suggestions ?

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Any alarm you put on it will annoy the Hell out of you after a couple of days.

A lock is a better idea. Or drill a couple of holes on either side of the lids, then on either side of the pastic bodies, run a couple of chains, secure the chains with locks.... There you go!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manzerick said:
what about just a good old fashion lock?

As above, it needs to be "Bin Emptying" compatible.

The need is for the bin to be inaccesible, once placed out for collection.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom said:
Any alarm you put on it will annoy the Hell out of you after a couple of days.

A lock is a better idea. Or drill a couple of holes on either side of the lids, then on either side of the pastic bodies, run a couple of chains, secure the chains with locks.... There you go!

OK, to clarify.

The bin is normally within my property, so no problem there.

It's once the bin is placed outside, at communal collection site, the night before, that the potential problem occurs.

Any locking device, or alarm, etc, has to be Bin Collection emptying compatible.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
abvidledUK said:
As above, it needs to be "Bin Emptying" compatible.

The need is for the bin to be inaccesible, once placed out for collection.

Get a videocamera, and put up a sign saying the property is being watched.

Or.... just put up the sign. :sssh:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom said:
Get a videocamera, and put up a sign saying the property is being watched.

Or.... just put up the sign. :sssh:

I already have CCTV cameras, recorded digitally, one of which covers the "Bin" area !!

Problem is, it doesn't stop them, they think they can't be seen under cover of darkness.

Then, of course, bin not emptied.

I think a more "personal" deterrent is best.

This is not actually a problem, yet. Just the annoyance when they do it, on small scale.

Just planning ahead.

My most effective deterrent so far is to smear a little margarine under the bin lid opening handles, they don't like that.

Not enough to be obvious I am doing it, just enough to make them think WTF.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Silly me, I forgot where I was for a moment....:lolsign:

Get you a good spot light, attach it to a motion sensor!

DM51

Flashaholic
You need a mechanical device that is activated when the lid is opened, squirting zoo effluent or something over them.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put out an empty bin with a spring loaded 'ejector plate' in the bottom. When the miscreant dumps in their rubbish they get it straight back all over them!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Print out the best picture captured of the person illegally dumping in that public place and discreetly post it a dozen high traffic spots in your area with a bold caption like "Local resident is creepy late night garbage dumper" or something similar and under the picture print the line "Do you recognize this person?"

Someone may recognize the person by their clothing or stature and ask them about it. Could be just enough to get that person to dump their stuff elsewhere.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar prblem with a new neighbor. They were dumb enough to dump their old mail, so I knew exactly who was doing it. I dumped all their crap on their front porch.

Amonra

Enlightened
how about some kind of timed lock ? i bet you could use a cheap alarm clock and use the alarm tone signal to trigger a switch that turns on a solenoid that pulls the lock open at 4.30am. the setup could be mounted on the under side of the lid.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
How about this:

Create a magnetic lockingsystem under the lid of your wheeliebin. Use an electromagnet powered by a rechargeable battery and make some sort of docking system for charging.

With a bit of effort you could make a system that charges the battery while the bin is in it's usual spot in the yard. Make it in such a way that connecting to the charger automatically disables the locking system, so you can use the bin as normal.
But when the bin is put on the street for emptying, the electromagnet locks and the bin is safe from illegal dumpers. Put a mercuryswitch in the system too, so that when the bin is turned for emptying, the magnet shuts off and can be emptied as usual. As soon as it is put back on the ground, the magnet activates and the bin is locked again. When you put it back in the yard, connected to the charger, you can open the lid again like normal :)

An automated mechanical lock could work too, but as you throw trash at it on a regular basis, might be a little more sensitive to malfunction...