Long Term Report SF 12PM and M6?

DaveH

Enlightened
For those that you that bought these models, do you have any long term reports? Do you use them regularly or are they sock drawer queens, passed over now because you waiting for soething bigger and better?

DaveH

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 12PM was my first SureFire quite a while back now... At the time, it was the brightest flashlight for it's size I knew of.

I then got the M6 for test and Evaluation which I've been doing for a while. I've noticed wear on the coating of the 12PM (especially the edges and TurboHead rim). The M6 has no faults, wear or damage as a result of my tough abusive fieldtesting. I've treated it pretty badly in the name of testing for my evaluation. You'd cry if you had to watch me knock, drop and hit it...

The M6 is brighter and lasts significantly longer than the 12PM. Quality oozes from the M6.

I carry the M6 when I'm out in the dark and I've got a rucksack (unless I need to travel light but need the M6 - it goes in my coat pocket) I'm waiting for M6 holsters...

The 12PM has no CombatGrip - I should have got the 12ZM as the CombatGrip is extremely useful. My 12PM sits loaded with new DL123As by my bedside table. The M6 is usually in my daysack sidepocket.

So, I use the M6 all the time - for when I need more light than the M3T can give me for range and the M2 P61 can give me for brightness. The M6 is tough, and turns heads.

My 12PM is for backup or playing with in foggy skys. The new MN61 Lamp Module should give my 12PM a new lease of life with the longer runtime and no thermal shutdown.

The M6 is a superior flashlight.

The main advantages of the 12PM are it's incredible small size and light-weight. The M4 would be on my want list if it had a CombatGrip...

The MN21 beam is awesome.
I can't wait to see how it compares to the new 10X!!!

I hope my rambling helps!

Alastair

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Size15s on 01-18-2001 at 05:23 PM</font>

Doug

Enlightened
"The M6 is tough, and turns heads."?? You mean the light output... because it is so bright?

Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
grin.gif

I was actually referring to the awesome light output and kewl styling...

Whilst I have no doubt that the M6 can be used as an impact weapon, I've not had the chance to field-test this aspect.

I usually get;
"That's not a Maglight is it?"
or
"Is that one of those torches from Star Trek?"
["torch" is the English name for what you guys call a "flashlight". If I was to talk about "flashlights" here in England, I'd get funny looks and people start saying things like "sidewalk/trashcan/gas/pants" and mis-pronouncing "route" and "Aluminium" and the like...No offence
tongue.gif
wink.gif
]

D

**DONOTDELETE**

None taken. Now if you'll pardon me, I have to put on my trousers, take the lift down to the garage, throw my rubbish into the dustbin, fill my motor up with petrol, and drive down to the chemists to buy a packet of fags.

Doug

Enlightened
Why would they say things like "sidewalk/trashcan/gas/pants"? You folks call trash, "rubbish"? Rubbish means something else here, it's like saying "bullsh*t"
smile.gif
... well, not as harsh. You folks actually say "trousers"?! That is so gay, (no offence
smile.gif
) .... And calling 'cigs' fags?! I have heard that at one point... but, what do you call homosexuals? How can you mispronounce "route" and "aluminum"?

What do you folks call a sidewalk then?

Doug

I was actually referring to the awesome light output and kewl styling...

Whilst I have no doubt that the M6 can be used as an impact weapon, I've not had the chance to field-test this aspect.

I usually get;
"That's not a Maglight is it?"
or
"Is that one of those torches from Star Trek?"
["torch" is the English name for what you guys call a "flashlight". If I was to talk about "flashlights" here in England, I'd get funny looks and people start saying things like "sidewalk/trashcan/gas/pants" and mis-pronouncing "route" and "Aluminium" and the like...No offence ]

None taken. Now if you'll pardon me, I have to put on my trousers, take the lift down to the garage, throw my rubbish into the dustbin, fill my motor up with petrol, and drive down to the chemists to buy a packet of fags.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Ah! The cultural differences!
grin.gif

Maybe this isn't the place for this type of discussion!

Sidewalk = footpath or pavement.
From what I've heard, route isn't pronounced like "root" but like "ra-out". It seems to me that the USA is simplifying the "english" language (sulfide instead of sulphide / theater/theatre). This is not always a bad thing as I'm all for making life easier! Differences are made fun of, and if I was to say "flashlight" I'd get made fun of, but as all the best flashlights are in the USA, I'm very used to speaking "torch", but tpying "flashlight".

To the English, pants are underpants [but not always boxers[horts], and trousers are everything longer than shorts, but not jeans. Usually one asks for combats or moleskins or other specific types. Ask for pants in the UK, and if the shop assistant is asleep, they'll take you to underwear, but usually, we spot your accents a kilometre off and adapt/clarify.

Homosexuals are more often called gays (can be for females too) [but if that's not very PC, then I'd say that PC seems actually very nonPC by drawing more attention to itself!]

BTW, Chemists don't usually sell fags as they're a shop for getting medicines most contain a pharmacy (& it'd be like an ER [ER being a "Casualty"] selling firearms). If you're a rudeboy or a lad etc, you'd have a motor, otherwise you have a car like the rest of us. I doubt you could afford to drive your car over here as the petrol is so expensive!!!

I'm not saying the English are better/or that the USA is wrong; I'm just pointing out the differences so maybe you can avoid confusion if you visit the UK.

I'm almost sorry I brought this up!

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to drift this thread further from the original topic... but I want to know if there's really an English dish called 'spotted ****'
shocked.gif

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes there is, but I've never had it...

Apparently, Spotted **** is:

Stale white bread soaked in a weak egg solution with raisins - baked in the over.

Oh I must go and make some!
rolleyes.gif

Doug

Enlightened
Sounds delish! I must have some! NOT!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
Yes there is, but I've never had it...

Apparently, Spotted **** is:

Stale white bread soaked in a weak egg solution with raisins - baked in the over.

Oh I must go and make some!
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a real treat try some fried bread.
rolleyes.gif

And look at the way words are pronounced differently within the US, or different words for the same things. Soda versus pop, pail or bucket, skunk and polecat. I've heard route pronounced both root, and rout. Listen to a Kennedy to tell his driver to "pahk the cah."

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Unicorn on 01-24-2001 at 12:02 AM</font>

Doug

Enlightened
Skunk and polecoat?! What are those? Ok, if they call a flashlight a torch ... what do they call a torch?

Doug

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
One time, in college, a roomie asked if he could borrow my torch for his bike. I loaned him my propane torch, but advised him that it wouldn't be sufficient to do much with aluminum.... Lots of dumb looks after that - took a good 3 minutes to figure out he wanted a flashlight and not a torch. (He was FOB from singapore - guess they use the queen's english there, so he was just as confused as I was)

So if I need to fuse two metals in europe, what *do* I ask for? Even a surefire dominator isn't going to do it!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...sure you can nick a fag as long as you quit screwing me....
(I hope size15s explains this before I get in trouble!)

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Ted on 01-25-2001 at 11:11 AM</font>