What's a good wind up/crank light?

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Are they any quality wind up/crank lights that do not carry batteries? Most of the ones I have seen are of poor quality.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
If an LED or standalone light is a must I can't truly help you. I have a Radio Shack Emergency crank radio which contains an incandescent lamp (5 hr life so stock up on spares) and shortwave bands. While 90 seconds in necessary for the radio a few minutes is a good idea if you want decent runtime on the light. Along with the hand crank and rechargeable battery, you have an AC/DC adapter option and a 3 AA battery option. I also don't know if it can charge from AC. Also in hand crank mode (with rechargeable battery) you can also charge Samsung, Sony Erricson, Nokia, and Siemens cell phones or virtually any USB device (iPod?). I don't really have any runtime data.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
not sure what you mean by good quality? would the $24.00 one with am fm radio at costco's be anygood? it comes with two. i rarely use it! so not sure of it's durability!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the crank/shake lights at least have a rechargeable battery if nothing else. If you are looking for something to stock in your store, I wouldn't do simply out of principle. Those crank lights are some of the best marketed worthless crap products in a long time. I think the general public is convinced they are a brilliant solution to dead batteries. Well, rechargeable batteries go dead too if they aren't regularly cycled. :whistle:

Nebula

Enlightened
True most are junk, but there are some good crank lights out there. Freeplay comes to mind as one example of a quality crank light. Keep in mind that even the best crank light is doomed to failure if you don't "feed" it properly. By that I mean maintain the rechargable batteries just like you would any rechageable battery. I have one of the early Freeply Sherpa's (the incan model) that works as well today as the day I got it. I charged the light for 24 hours with the included AC charger before first use, and then completely discharge it every 30-45 days. Then I recharge again for 24 hours. This may be extreme, but I find that it maintains the batteries, and I have a light that I can depend on. YMMV.