ALL YOU NEED IN LIFE

hikinhillary

Newly Enlightened
:grin2: Hi Everyone! I just wanted to say Thanks to everyone who agrees with me that the Dorcy AAA from Walmart IS ALL YOU EVERY NEED IN LIFE. It is definitely the truth. I could not be more pleased than when I noticed that there are a great deal of members on here referring to the DORCY AAA as All YOU EVER NEED IN LIFE, since I started posting about this.

And you know what, when I first did it, my boyfriend who is a SEVERE FLASHAHOLIC was actually mad at me for posting this, and told me people would not take me seriously. He even threatened to change my password and cancel my account. Now, that is something I COULD NOT HANDLE. Although, I don't post all that often (because I can't get near the computer when he is always at it- drooling over Cree's), I still know that I am truly, a flashaholic.

Oh, and I think we should all get together and let DORCY know that we want the old Dorcy's back at Walmart.

:thinking: Oh, and I have a question: WHAT WOULD YOU ALL DO IF YOU HAD A NEW NEIGHBOR WHO LEFT THEIR OUTSIDE LIGHT ON ALL THE TIME, ITS HARD TO DO BEAM SHOTS WHEN THE DARKNESS IS INTERRUPTED BY A PORCH LIGHT?

Anyway, DORCY AAA IS ALL YOU EVER NEED IN LIFE!

~back to dreaming of DORCY AAA,
one of the only girls on CPF, hikinhillary.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to prove a point to your huby eh? Sort of getting CPF`ers to defend your position that he spends to much on lights...back you up. Take a hike hillary :)

LOL you might find yourself wanting some of the Cree stuff to after you see one in action. Your right though...a few lumens is all you need for most tasks...and you don`t need to spend a lot to do that. My AAA Dorcy still works great after a lot of abuse.

Ken

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
hikinhillary said:
And you know what, when I first did it, my boyfriend who is a SEVERE FLASHAHOLIC was actually mad at me for posting this, and told me people would not take me seriously. He even threatened to change my password and cancel my account.
He sounds like a great guy, a real keeper. :whistle: :poke:

Is this the same boyfriend from 12/11/2005?
Well, I got in a huge fight with my boyfriend today because, we were driving, and I was playing with my keylight in the car and he told me to stop. I didn't, so he asked to see it, then threw it out the window... I pushed him out the car door and left him on the side of the road. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Change your password yourself (he obviously has it) and then he can't change it or "cancel" your account. Maybe he needs to visit the Dr Phil website more often.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really is all you need in life! And then there's Surefire,HDS,Inova,Jetbeam,JIL,etc.

fireboltr

Enlightened
it is all your "NEED" in life but... it is not all you could use/want
i tottaly agree with the need thing

and on another note girl are you going to put up with that?????
im sorry but umm can you say anal retentive potty trained at gunpoint?

and to the boyfriend hey man i know us guys are opinionated about alot of things and we are always trying to convince others to see it our way but you will never win with a woman like this i tried and got nothing but lonely for it ummm.... you dont know how lucky you are to have a g/f that is into flashlights like you are heck mine still laughs at me every time she remembers i belong to CPF and gives me hell for it

lucky you are man

my .02 cents worth

Niteowl

Enlightened
hikinhillary said:
......threatened to change my password and cancel my account. Now, that is something I COULD NOT HANDLE.

I'd like to think he was joking. Still, I think you should handle changing your own password.

hikinhillary said:
.......I have a question: WHAT WOULD YOU ALL DO IF YOU HAD A NEW NEIGHBOR WHO LEFT THEIR OUTSIDE LIGHT ON ALL THE TIME, ITS HARD TO DO BEAM SHOTS WHEN THE DARKNESS IS INTERRUPTED BY A PORCH LIGHT?

I had a neighbor who put an obnoxious 300W halogen flood that shined into my backyard (acre lots). I was not a happy camper and he knew it. He got booted out by his wife who ended up selling the house shortly after. Before the new people signed for the house, I went over and put up a "jelly jar" light fixture with the previous owners blessing. It's still there four years later.........

Go over, say hi, ask politely if they could turn the light out when they don't need it. Be prepared to explain why (i.e. I'm a bit looney-toons), perhaps they'd be willing to turn it off on occasion when you ask. If they have a security "issue", suggest a motion detector light. It's easier said than done, but it's better than being "annoyed" by your neighbor when they might very well be willing to be a "good neighbor".

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Hi Hillary,

I agree that the Dorcy is a nice, inexpensive light that is adequate for many uses. For some people, thsi may indeed be all they need.

hikinhillary said:

:thinking: Oh, and I have a question: WHAT WOULD YOU ALL DO IF YOU HAD A NEW NEIGHBOR WHO LEFT THEIR OUTSIDE LIGHT ON ALL THE TIME, ITS HARD TO DO BEAM SHOTS WHEN THE DARKNESS IS INTERRUPTED BY A PORCH LIGHT?

Wait a minute... you're complaining about too much light in a flashaholics forum?! :laughing: Seriously, you might want to talk to your neighbor about efficient porch lights (CFLs) and while you're on the subject, you can mention that using CFLs is one way to reduce one's carbon footprint. This might get him thinking about saving energy.

On the other hand, maybe he feels that he needs to leave it on for safety. If this is the case, I would certainly defer to his needs.

You're one of several here, although many of them are in stealth mode! :sssh:

Gnufsh

Enlightened
Sometimes you need a little more. I doubt it has the throw necessary for firefighting (cutting through smoke, SAR at night, etc). Hazardous environment certifications are sometimes nice to have as well.

Where can you buy the Dorcy AAA? There isn't a Walmart anywhere near me.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Here we go again...

Okay, despite owning a black 1AAA Dorcy, and having given my mom my old blue (Fisheye) 1AAA Dorcy, and despite having gotten one for my dad for Christmas; the 1AAA Dorcy is not all you need in Life.

Bigger jobs require bigger or brighter lights. An LEO would have to be insane to use a 1AAA Dorcy as his main light!

Also, back-up lights are definitely needed. Besides the Dorcy, I'm giving my dad a bigger LED light, and a River Rock 2AAA model. All 3 lights are going back with him to the Old Country. All run on AAAs because even lithiums and coin cells can't be found "over there."

I'd definitely worry if all he had in life was just the 1AAA Dorcy. It's a neat little light, but all things have their place. It works well as a 2nd or 3rd light. But I don't plan on relying on it instead of my Streamlight TL-2 LED, or any of the other more powerful lights I own.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
hikinhillary said:
:grin2: Anyway, DORCY AAA IS ALL YOU EVER NEED IN LIFE!

~back to dreaming of DORCY AAA,
Hmmm. Sounds to me like you are a bit too complacent about flashlights. Try cutting back on the Prozac dose a little bit.:poke:

*Retired*
Well, one could mod the Dorcy, to a CREE XR-E, and underdrive it.

You'd get a lot more light for the same power consumption.

Or you could turn it down, and get the same light, with a lot more runtime.

Imagine the possibilities!

hikinhillary

Newly Enlightened
LifeNRA said:
Is this the same boyfriend from 12/11/2005?
Well, I got in a huge fight with my boyfriend today because, we were driving, and I was playing with my keylight in the car and he told me to stop. I didn't, so he asked to see it, then threw it out the window... I pushed him out the car door and left him on the side of the road. :rolleyes:

-Yup thats him.

ken2400

Enlightened
If you think you can get away with it try this. In the middle of the night go over and see what size bulb in it it. Once you know that then change the bulb down to the next size.

IE 100 Watts go to 75 Watts
About two weeks later change it down to a 60 Watt bulb. It is harder for people to notice a change when it happens slowly over time. Take car breaks for example. You could try the talk idea BUT if you are not ready to fix on the spot with a new bulb and/or fixture then the odds are the people who run the light will not want to bother fixing it.

Most outside light are just electric touches, JUNK!!! . Don't beleave me? Turn your outside light on and walk around it. If you can see the light source at any point where the light is not needed it is JUNK! Good fixtures cost $$$. Moding is cheaper.

It's hard to get people to change there ways BUT it is easier to fool them.

The other idea is to find a way to reflect the light down. One could put hi-temp paint on the glass part of the fixture to reflect the light down to where it is needed.

Good luck and please tell us how you made out.

Oh, and I have a question: WHAT WOULD YOU ALL DO IF YOU HAD A NEW NEIGHBOR WHO LEFT THEIR OUTSIDE LIGHT ON ALL THE TIME, ITS HARD TO DO BEAM SHOTS WHEN THE DARKNESS IS INTERRUPTED BY A PORCH LIGHT?

Blackheart

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of the Dorcy flashlights and ended up giving it to my wife. The light would turn off if it was set down on the tail too hard. I find many of the led flashlights will turn off if they are dropped on the tail of the flashlight from a height of a couple of inches or less. (Im not talking about the ones with tail clickies.) I bought one of the expensive Dorcy flashlights from Sears and a cheaper one from Wal-mart. Both turn off when dropped on their tails. I prefer the Coast flashlights that I have over the Dorcy flashlights because the Coast flashlights stay on when their dropped.