MP3 s - I love 'em

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

MP3 s - I love \'em

It just hit me. 90% of the music I listen to and love is 100% free. When I get tired of it I can trash it without remorse and get more. Tonight I downloaded $20 or more worth of music. I have eclectic tastes so this is a common and fun activity for me. To get a track that I'm wild over thats worth $5 is awsome. Fun to "treasure hunt" and the feeling of "putting money into your pocket" is addictive. What does everyone think of MP3s? Am I the only one who loves the trill of the hunt?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MP3 s - I love \'em

Where do you download your music from these days? Before Napster went belly up, I downloaded approximately a thousand songs but haven't done much research on other Napster like sites. I go to the mp3 newsgroup sites sometimes but you are at the mercy of whatever the people decide to post.

PhilAlex

Enlightened

WINMX is my choice.

Funny thing is, I listen to "Spoken Word" stuff a lot.

SOME of it is on WINMX, but I can buy originals on Ebay so darn cheap, who cares?

Now... The, uh, MOVIE selection on WINMX is spectacular and, uh, explosive.

If you know what I mean, and I think you do.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

MP3.com

Phil - what are you refering to?

NightShift

Enlightened

Mp3s rule! Downloading full movies also rules....wait I didnt say that
grin.gif

The program/network I use shares over a petabyte of data.

Brock

Flashaholic

My wife is using Kazaa.com now. She finds all kinds of goofy music you can't find anywhere else. Kazza is very similar to the old version of Napster. Not that I am for Napster or stealing music, but I do like that I can download a song and see if I like it before I buy it. I make a habit of buying the CD if I like it to support the artist.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Beware!
Kazza has "spyware" hooked into its installation routine. This is (or was) well-documented about a year ago, so a free utility like ADBUSTER should be able to sniff out and flush the offending parasitic application. Kazza should function perfectly normal without the hook stuck in its side.

The spyware called "Ezula TopText" hooks into your web browsers (especially IE) and changes links on web pages to point to whatever sites its a**hole advertisers want them to. So, something innocous like the name of a band on a web page would be dynamically linked via the spyware to B.G. Music, and so on.

Another spyware app that might appear in a Kazza installation is one that exploits the unused CPU time of your computer, and connects it to a massive network, with packets of data, video and audio files, and other material "pushed" onto your system for later retrieval by other systems hooked into the same network.

Here is an excerpt from a website that describes this particular parasitic application:

"Millions of computers are logged onto the Internet at any given time, each with excess processing power, excess storage capacity and unused bandwidth. Through Altnet, we intend to create a private peer-to-peer network to enable our clients to access and utilize this excess processing power, storage capacity and unused bandwidth for multiple applications. [...] To develop the Altnet private peer-to-peer network, each computer that comprises the network must be equipped with a software program. To distribute the program, we bundled it in a package, that we call ALTNET SECUREINSTALL, with our Digital Projector. Pursuant to an agreement with Sharman Networks, SecureInstall, along with the Digital Projector, is being downloaded as part of Sharman Networks KaZaA Media Desktop, which has consistently been averaging in excess of two million downloads per week since we began bundling our software in the fall, 2001. [...] Our longer-term goal is for Altnet, through multiple client relationships, to be the next advancement in distributed bandwidth, storage and computing. Currently, distributed storage and computing companies, such as Akamai, operate [...] by delivering the Web content and applications of their customers [...] to a server geographically closer to end users. Altnet intends to go the next step, which is directly to the end user in a private, peer-to-peer network. [...] We intend to market Altnet's peer-to-peer services in three main areas: Network Services, Distributed Storage and Distributed Processing. NETWORK SERVICES - Altnet's Network Services will be marketed as money saving, enterprise solutions to companies that spend significant amounts on Internet bandwidth and infrastructure for the following applications: File downloads from web sites or servers; Content distribution, including "push" (where content such as music, movies, news, sports or weather, is automatically "pushed" to the user) and cached on their PC; Ad serving; Content backup; and Video messaging/conferencing. DISTRIBUTED STORAGE - [...] By leveraging the excess storage capacity on the Altnet network, we believe, in certain storage market segments, Altnet can generate significant storage cost savings for its clients, a portion of which may be earned by Altnet as consideration for its services. DISTRIBUTED PROCESSING - [...] After the tasks are processed via individual computers, the data is transmitted back to a central server, which assembles the results. Altnet's Distributed Processing services will be marketed to companies currently in the high performance computing field, as well as the performance testing/measurement areas. [...] Altnet intends to earn a portion of the cost savings realized by its customers as consideration for its Distributed Processing services. ALTNET'S COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE We believe that Altnet is well positioned to compete effectively with companies currently providing distributed computing services. The software necessary to operate Altnet's peer-to-peer network has been installed on tens of millions of computers worldwide, and additional computers are added with each successive download of the KaZaA Media Desktop, providing a competitive advantage over other P2P competitors that have not achieved similar success in mass distribution of their software application."

As for MP3s themselves, I don't mess with them. My ISP kicks me off for staying online too long well before I could download just one. Stupid dial up.
mad.gif
blush.gif
frown.gif

I hope nobody buys me an MP3 player for my birthday, because I wouldn't be able to use it.
tongue.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

Very good point Craig. I did that right away. If you don't the program runs in the background all the time. I saw it running and kept manually shutting it down, then I got that patch to close it, I still check to make sure it really shut off (can you say paranoid).

Spork

Enlightened

download kazza light, spyware is removed

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've been using Kazaa Lite since AudioGalaxy was removed from the net. This morning there were >2.2 million users online.

Craig, what music do you like? I have about 10GB of MP3's and I'd be happy to send you some CD's.
Anything from Fleetwood Mac to Chemical Bros. and beyond!

Saaby

Flashaholic

I use WinMX as well but I shy away from the, uh, interesting movie section.

One of my fav. finds is this Sweedish band--Sonic Surf City, the song is "Driving in My Saab"

I'm a poor teen so I have (Shhhhhh) my share of illegal music, but I have pledged to some day buy all the CDs I've downloaded...I mean I like to have the real thing anyway...it will play in any player (Well, except those $!#@$ new copy protected CDs, but I am sure there's a hack out for them by now) and you get the case and artwork and stuff, so yeah. That's me.

I use it 90% of the time tho to get oddball stuff, like, well, oddball stuff. Right now I am working on a cd full of Muzak, like the kind they play in the grocery store, hard to find though!

LED-FX

Enlightened

>>Well, except those $!#@$ new copy protected CDs, but I am sure there's a hack out for them by now<<

The hack is to use a marker pen round the outer edge of the CD, it`s a duff data track that confuses the cd rom, masking it with a marker means it goes unread....

Bit of a Kazza Lite fan myself, but as a Hi Fi enthusiast prfer the original uncompressed CD, well actually I prefer vinyl, but thats a whole other thread.

Remember that there is also internet radio, which needs more support against the RIAA, fax your congress representative, please.

Adam

B@rt

Flashaholic

Originally posted by LED-FX:
but as a Hi Fi enthusiast prefer the original uncompressed CD, well actually I prefer vinyl, but thats a whole other thread.

Adam
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Even tough my ears aren't what they used to be, I fullheartedly agree with that statement. The compression makes you loose too much ambience imho.

Saaby

Flashaholic

and I love my ambience--the worst though is when you get, I don't know what to call it, MP3 hiss I guess...kinda like a retarded reverb on higher pitched noises.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Originally posted by toby:
Craig, what music do you like? I have about 10GB of MP3's and I'd be happy to send you some CD's.
Anything from Fleetwood Mac to Chemical Bros. and beyond!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I listen to the kind of music that makes your ears bleed. When a vistor to my house leaves, I discover bloody Q-tips floating in the toilet. (Just kidding!!)

Let's see... Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Pantera, and Raven. Then there's the more gentler & kinder kind of music; like The Cars, Billy Squier, Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd, Aldo Nova, and a fair majority of early-mid 1980s pop music. You know, the early MTV stuff.

I'll tolerate "elevator music", certain country songs, Carribean steel drum music, most 1970s pop, some 1960s pop, and African tribal music.

I strongly dislike rap and its kin.
I also dislike most R and B, "boy bands", that kind of southern music with the out-of-phase clapping, most country, and most modern "top 40". Although I generally dislike this type of music,I usually don't go out of my way to shut them down if I hear them accidentally.

Except for rap and that hippy-hop or whatever they're calling it now - I WILL go out of my way to turn that stuff off, switch the channel, or mask it in some other manner. The quickest way to get me to leave a party is to pop in a Cop Killer CD.
tongue.gif