Fenix L1T info needed

C

charge

Hello,
I have decided to get a 1xAA light for work use. I have carried a 2AA minimag in the past. On my right side I carry a Leatherman Charge Ti , then the extra bit pouch, leaving a flashlight next ( at about the 5:00 position). The minimag is too long for back there. From what I hear a 1xAA LED will be an improvement over the minimag and shorter.

I really like the L1T in terms of looks, dual output, size, and the popularity here.

Is this a good choice? The Jetbeam MKii is a bit out of my price range. I understand it is suggested to run rechargeables which I dont know alot about. What do you folks suggest. I have a NiMH/NiCad AA/AAA Charger I got when I bought my digital camera. The charger is a Sunpak ACC-M1051-00. The batteries I have are 2000mAh AAs. I was wondering if higher mAh batteries will work in this charger.

Thanks again for your help.

nightrider

Enlightened
There are so many choices! But yes, the L1T is a nice light. I have one and find the dual level output quite useful and yes, a big improvement over a standard minimag, and shorter.

I don't know about your charger situation... probably ok.

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have the Fenix L2T and love it. Most chargers charge the batteries to a certain voltage and all NIMH batteries (reguardless of mah capacity) are the same voltage (1.2) so your charger should work as long as it is designed to charge NIMH batteries.

Welcome to this site, I doubt your L1T will be your only fenix flashlight. You may find yourself getting more. They are neat little lights.

Last edited:
C

charge

The LiteFlux LF1 just caught my eye. How does it comapre to the L1T?

LowTEC

Enlightened
Pretty much working the same.

LF1 is cheaper but L1T has slightly better quality and upgradeability. ANd yes, they are both alot better from your previous minimag

And rule of thumb, don't ask which one to get in CPF, caz your answer will always ended up with "get them both" :lolsign:

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
The L1T is a good choice. However, I'll put in my 2 cents and say that Fenix will be coming out with one soon that has a cree XR-E Led that has twice the output for the same current. In other words, twice as bright on the high setting without losing runtime. I suspect that they will have some available before Christmas. Think of it, something like 70 lumens out of a 1AA light. Tactical bright with cheap batteries. If you don't mind a more expensive battery, the P1D-CE is coming out in a week or so. 135 lumens on high and 12 on low. I'm drooling just thinking about it.
grinser2.gif

Schnotts

Newly Enlightened
I very much like my little L1T. Nice and small and very pocketable, uses a cheap AA battery that lasts a long time and built pretty tough. I use it all the time.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just ordered a L1S, and I think it's a wiser choice for a 1-AA Luxeon.
The L1T has a more powerful 3W LED, but its single AA cell makes it unable to deliver enough power to the LED to make a significant difference when compared to the 1W LED in the L1S.

If you were looking at a 2-AA L2T it'd be another story...

myk

Enlightened
The negative with the L1S is the lack of HAIII, so it will get scratched much easier in your pocket than the L1P or L1T

I was in a tossup between
HAIII Anodized - more scratch resistant
L1T ($43.50)
L1P($38, or cheaper in BST)
Liteflux LF1 ($54 shipped from the dealers corner)
JetBeam MKII ($72 shipped)
Ultrafire B18W from ($27 shipped from qualitychinagoods.com)
Type II Anodized - will scratch easily
Ultrafire 602A1 ($18 shipped from fifthunit.com)
Huntlight FT-A2 ($30 shipped from js burly's)
Fenix L1S ($32)

If picking a type II annodized light, know that they will scratch pretty easily in your pocket with keys - so in a few weeks they should all pretty much look the same level of scratched unless you baby them, whereas the HAIII lights command a higher price for their coating.

In the end I bought my dad the L1P for $28 new in box in BST - people are unloading these now. It was cheaper than the no-names but still high fenix quality - and i think it would be kind of stupid right now to buy an expensive small EDC light with a luxeon, with all the Cree lights on the very near horizon.

So go cheap for now, plan on replacing it in 4 months with something twice as bright or just as bright with twice the runtime

- this was my game plan, yours may be different :dedhorse:

Last edited:

CancerLad

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Fenix L1T and a Leatherman Charge Ti daily.

They are about the same length and go together well in my front pocket.

The handles on the Leatherman have already done quite a number on the finish of the Fenix after less than a year. Don't expect it to be pretty for long, but it does wear well in my opinion.

As far as the difference between the L1T and the L1S, it boils down to what the high level can be.

With 1.2 - 1.5 V power source, the high level on the L1T and L1S are supposed to be about the same.

With a 3.0+ V power source, the high on the L1T is supposed to go higher than the L1S.

You can get a 3.0+ V power source for these flashlights fairly easily. You can use a 3.6 V LiON 14500 rechargable battery in the 1AA body, you can use a 3.0 V CR123 battery in with the additional CR123 body, or you can use a couple of AA batteries in the 2 AA body.

If you will want the option of a really, really, bright flashlight and want to put out the money for these other bodies or batteries, you might want to get the L1T.

If you just want a single AA battery flashlight that is going to be way better that any Maglight or Mini Maglight, and you are never going to want to fiddle with any fancy batteries or bodies, you might want to get the L1S.

But, if you can wait a couple of months, you should.

Fenix is coming out with lights using a new type of LED from a company called Cree. The rumor is that these new LEDs are supposed to put out twice the light for the same amount of current that the Luxon IIIs produce.

[font=&quot]So you may be able to get a significantly better flashlight for the same money if you can be patient.

:popcorn:
[/font]

C

charge

:awman: its hard to wait. Probably no idea when there will be a L1T type light with Cree huh. I'll try to sit tight for a while I guess. I only have the funds for one light now so I'll have to see. I hope we're not talking months here.

paulr

Flashaholic
I love my L1p except it's been missing for weeks (I'm pretty sure it's around the house somewhere). It works great on a NiMH cell. I haven't felt a desire for an L1T and am sort of disappointed that they discontinued the L1p. Two levels is nice in principle but I always have a keychain 5mm led light if I need runtime, and with a bigger light I generally want the higher brightness mode. So I like the L1p's simplicity.

A Cree version of the L1p or L1t would be great.