The "best" light for biking in total darkness?

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
My brother is a bike nut, rides mountain and road. I would like to get him the best (brightest, lightest, most reliable) system...assuming it is not crazy expensive. I have no idea where to start.

Appreciate your help, thanks!

Lucero

Enlightened
Have you considered the bike websites and review sites, such as MTBR.com? in the forum area there is a section called lights or lighting.

There's also a great light for sale on this site that I have not used, but has good specifications and good pricing. It is in the B/S/T or the Dealer's Corner or Manufacturer section. For some reason, I cannot see it right now. Tired eyes, maybe. If you use the "Search" function for the terms that interest you, it will be simple to obtain the information you seek.

Brum

Newly Enlightened
CatEye Tripleshot is a nice option. Futher, I personally like the systems from Hope, Light&Motion and Lupine (all three have LED and HID systems). They are crazy expensive though, the Cateye costing $250-300, Hope is in the same ballpark. L&M and Lupine make lights up too $800. On MTBR.com they've got a lights/elec section, you can find al lot of info there. I'm currently making an DIY system with square alu tubing (yes, copycat design), 3 XR-E's and a bFlex driver. Should be a very nice system that blows the best LED factory systems (Lupine Wilma/Cateye tripleshot) completely off the map, since they've still got ancient Luxeon technology. All parts included the price should be around $130 (mostly depending on the accupack setup, can range from a simple little Nihm pack too a high-capacity Li-ion), but I had most of the stuff laying around, only needed the LED/lenses and driver.

greenLED

Flashaholic
+1 for mtbr.com

The only drawback is that the "best (brightest, lightest, most reliable) system" won't come cheap (think $450, at least). :) There are, however, good models for about half, so check those reviews and shop around.

Stuart B

Newly Enlightened
The MTBR forum is good. The lights section is a little quite sometimes though.

I have a Trailtech 10W HID which is bright and has held up OK. They are quite good value too compared to other HIDs. I also have the cateye double and triple shot lights. The double is only really good as a hemet light, and in my opinion should be used with a bar light too (Triple or HID). I personally don't think it is good enough on its own (but I don't have great night vision). The triple is good, but not as bright as the HID. I trust LED lights more than the HID though, every time I switch it it on I wonder if its going to spark up.

Stu

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NightSun Team Issue light is super bright and under $200. It's an old school incan with NiMH batteries (or possibly even NiCad...not sure about the new ones). It's got a simple, no non-sense design. It's not going to be the lightest, by any means, however. What kind of runtime does you brother need?

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
If I could find one that could hold maximum brightness for 2 hours, that would take care of 90% of his needs.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Brum

Newly Enlightened
straightblast said:
If I could find one that could hold maximum brightness for 2 hours, that would take care of 90% of his needs.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
If you want a CHEAP system that gives A LOT of light, go for the Trailtech. Check 'm out here: http://www.trailtech.net/helmet_mounted_light_kits_1.htm
At $135 a real bargain for an HID system, and the construction is very solid. Just take the normal HID'ious precaution, since they don't take such a beating as LEDs do without failing. For that price, you just need to add your own charger+accupack (also available from TT, although a bit expensive). A simple 12V 3500mAh NiMH (that should easily get your trough your requested 2 hours runtime) with charger can be had for $35 on Ebay.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fear the dark and thus am building constantly building lights (also a HID model "here"), but I would not vote for them.

As I see it, You need a decent quality Bike light, about 2 hours full, charger and all equipent included, GUARANTEED working for quite a time without hassles, and not too expensive.
Then kick all HID, and (now available) LED-lights!

Thus 2 lights remain (which are about the best 5 when the others are included):
Your location:
USA: Light and Motion Solo (Logic)
Europe: Lupine Nightmare

Nubo

Enlightened
straightblast said:

Add 50% to your runtime estimate. Trust me on this one. If you think you need 2 hours runtime, get a 3-hour system. Gives you a reserve for when you have mechanical problems, get tired, and for when the battery pack is a year or two old and has lost some capacity.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a Surefire L4 on a Chinese 1 inch Bike Mount from Lighthound.com. For belt and suspenders style protection, I put the L4 over and thru an attached camera style lanyard.

Latest posts