WOW, so this is a BRIGHT dynamo light

607220Russian20dynamo-200x200.jpg

Made in Soviet Russia. I bought one from Good Will. It does not have an energy reserve and the energy is provided by repeatedly squeezing the trigger. The output is AC and power and frequency is a function of how fast you pull the trigger, but it can direct drive an Luxeon LED just fine and a cyan LED is blinding bright powered on this thing.

Christoph said:
How did you hook it up any pics?I have one of those I bought a few years ago.

C

Since this was only a test phase, I just crammed it into the bulb socket, so one end touches the bottom, the other end the side. Polarity does not matter since the output is AC. You could use a bridge, but since the output has to go through two additional diodes, it will reduce output at the reward of less strobe effect.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
cool i have one of those! I never used it seriously but it was a neat toy. Show us some pics of the led :D

Spordin

Enlightened
I have 2 of them and with the incan it's just barely better than not having it. I would like to hear more as well.

soviestrussia3.jpg

I simply crammed the emitter in there for the prototype. It should probably be attached to something for heatsink. Instead of using diodes, I would connect two Luxeons back to back, so they light up alternatingly at ~200Hz. You could use a small bridge to make one luxeon light up on both cycles, but the fwd drop on them is around 1.2v, so (1.2v/total voltage) = quite a high percentage lost in rectifier.

sovietrussia.jpg

If you use two emitters back to back, the perceived brightness should double.
sovietrussia2.jpg