PXR Cree Heatsinks

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my longtime dream is to have a light lb/lb (kg/kg) be able to best those of the Incandescent and HID crowd. I have made many attempt at this but failed until now! JimH knows is probably is still laughing.

The introduction of the Cree 7090 XR-E revitalize this dream. Finally! "WE", the crazy :crazy: white wall hunters have reclaimed our midsize thrown from the incans and with a chance to best those HIDs in the total lumens output category.

Without further a due, I introduce to you the PXR series of heatsinks, built on the foundation of the PTS2 series heatsink.

pxr19to6.jpg

=== Features ===
1. Available for use with 3 or 4 Cree XR-E emitters
2. E-can integration. Standardize to 0.800" converter size.
3. Threaded/Lock into the Mag head
4. Pin hole for additional screw tap and leverage for installation. Reoriented for ergonomics.
5. Center 5/16-18 tap for ...

=== Recommended Host / Batteries / Driver / LED combination ===
Mag2C / 2x18500|2x18650|C-LiIon / Shark|Fatman|MaxFlex / 3|4x Cree XR-E
Mag3C / 3xC-NiMh / Shark|Fatman|MaxFlex / 3|4 xCree XR-E
Mag3C / 3xC-LiIon / Shark|Fatman|MaxFlex / 4xCree XR-E
Mag1D / 4xAA-NiMh / Shark|Fatman|MaxFlex / 3x Cree XR-E
Mag1D / 4x14500 / nFlex / 3x Cree XR-E
Mag1D / 3x17670 / Shark|Fatman|MaxFlex / 3|4x Cree XR-E
Mag2D / 6-8xAA / Shark|Fatman|MaxFlex / 3|4x Cree XR-E
Mag2D / 2xD-LiIon / Shark|Fatman|MaxFlex / 3|4x Cree XR-E
Mag2D / 6x17670 (series) / nFlex / 3|4x Cree XR-E
Mag2D / 6x17670 (ser/par) / Shark|Fatman|MaxFlex / 3|4x Cree XR-E
Mag2D / 8x14500 (series) / nFlex / 3|4x Cree XR-E

* Listed in order of performance per size and level of difficulty

=== Recognition ===
Special thanks McGizmo for the cool/efficient McR-19-XR reflectors.
I also want to thank CroMagnet for the 2 years of constant nagging to get this done.

Enjoy everyone!

Last edited:

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
YAY, finally Cree Magsink! :D

Price? availability?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woohoo!
Wait a minute... are you going to build a 3 XRE heat sink that holds the Stars? If not, I had better change my pre-order for those Q2 stars! Please let me know quickly so I can adjust my order soon. Ack!

Lumbee1

Newly Enlightened
So how do you make all the solder connections? What reflectors are being offered for the CREE? Any chance of building a sink that supports the star or disc?

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those look wonderful Jonathan, I can't to get one up and running :D

:twothumbs

Later
Kelly

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh man... how sweet.... no we don't have to mess with with dist. crappy PCB/stars as far as heat goes!

and the McR-19XR is much more appealing!

When are these going to be availble?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumbee1: You'll need to isolate the bottom contacts to prevent short. Easiest way to do this is to snip the corners off the led, as that's where the trace is for the bottom of the pad. Then only the top pads will make electrical connection. Use some fine wire (24-30gauge teflon works good) to solder to the top pads, and route the wire as best as possible away from the reflectors. I plan to do this, and then solder the small wires to some larger gauge that will be ran longer down the light to minimize resistance.

Modamag: Great work!
1) What is the center tap for? Will you offer a bulb extension so it can screw onto a stock body? That'd be cool except for the resistance of the stock mag bulb holder, but would mean you could just screw on different tri/quad heads on one body!
2) How much extra length does it add to the mag since they are threaded and that will keep the body from screwing all the way into the head? (I'm used to the PTS ver1 design).

:party:

It looks like the D size could be adjustable for varying reflector heights as an un-planned feature too hehe.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Use some fine wire (24-30gauge teflon works good) to solder to the top pads, and route the wire as best as possible away from the reflectors. I plan to do this, and then solder the small wires to some larger gauge that will be ran longer down the light to minimize resistance.

Isaac,
Think using 22 guage would work as long as you cut some of the strands off (simulated 24 gauge)? I'll have to check the clearances of the McR19 and IMS 20mm reflectors to check.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enough with the teasing!! :hairpull: Where's the sales post? I want some copper. :rock:

Great work moda!

-DF

Sawtooth

Newly Enlightened
modamag said:
The introduction of the Cree 7090 XR-E revitalize this dream. Finally! "WE", the crazy :crazy: white wall hunters have reclaimed our midsize thrown from the incans and with a chance to best those HIDs in the total lumens output category.

Without further a due, I introduce to you the PXR series of heatsinks, built on the foundation of the PTS2 series heatsink.

Awesome! This is exactly what I need!
What are the masses for each in Al and Cu?
When do they go on sale?

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
:huh: ... nice !!!

Now we need just a reflector, that is optimized for the XR-E and has "compatible dimensions" to all the older stuff.

Or ist there one already? I don´t have a clue about MCR-stuff :D ...

Then you can "pimp" your old TriLux-Mag easily to a powerfull Quad-Cree ... should be worth the effort ;).