Fun stuff off the Energizer website

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most commonly, you'll want a flashlight that's reliable and durable-one that doesn't break easily, shines a bright beam, and uses batteries efficiently.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey, that's an Arc-AAA.

Saaby

Flashaholic
It is? I thought it was the origional Energizer 2 piece
wink.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
When I was scouring the Energizer website I came across some interesting little tidbits in their FAQ. Here are some highlights...

"When was the first flashlight invented?"

The first flashlight was invented in the 1890's. Early in the flashlight's history, it was used as a novelty, a small light that could be attached to a man's tie or a woman's barrette—but it was necessary to carry a large battery pack to power the light.

As the flashlight developed, it became ideal for more conventional uses, and its size and shape evolved. Battery technology also improved—while battery power increased, battery size decreased, making the flashlight more portable and user-friendly.

Who invented the first flashlight?
Conrad Hubert, known as the founder of the Eveready Battery Company.

How did the flashlight get its name?
When the flashlight was first invented, battery power was still in its infancy and there wasn't a source strong enough to power the flashlight for a long period of time. Users pushed a button to literally "flash light" on the path in front of them, shining the light for just a moment. Hence, we have the name we use today—flashlight.

[So that means that something like an Arc is a torch but something that takes 123s like a Surfire is still a "flashlight" right??]

What's another name for the flashlight?
"Flashlight" is the common term in the United States, but many other nations refer to a flashlight as a "torch."

What are a flashlight's uses?
Flashlights have multiple uses. First and foremost, they give you the power of portable light whenever and wherever you need it. Key uses are safety and security, general household use and outdoor camping.

Other flashlight uses include:
Safety when walking in the dark
During emergencies—searching in dark areas or in case of automotive breakdown
Helping lead you out of the house in case of a home fire
During a power outage
Hiking through caves
Lighting your way during trick-or-treating
During a visit to the doctor—an eye doctor uses a special light to look into your eyes, a dentist uses a light to get a better look at your teeth, and surgeons use special lights during surger
Lighting construction areas
Searching through a garage, attic, or dark closet
Shining light on hard-to-reach places when working on machinery, such as a car
Collecting—there are many

And my personal fav...
(It's kinda like the CPF mission statement or something)
What specifics should I look for when purchasing a flashlight?
Be sure to find one that meets your needs. Most commonly, you'll want a flashlight that's reliable and durable—one that doesn't break easily, shines a bright beam, and uses batteries efficiently.