iPod's glow leads rescuers to lost hiker

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
An amazing story.

Good news:
Rescuers say the glow of an iPod in the middle of thick underbrush led them to a lost mushroom picker in western Oregon.Rescue workers say 25-year-old Pini Nou, of Vancouver, Wash., got separated from his mother, a regular picker in southwestern Benton County.

Bad news (or, at least, I would be embarrassed):
Nou was in touch with rescuers via cell phone and gave search teams a description of the landscape as best he could at night. But the county emergency management coordinator, Peggy Peirson, said it was the lighted screen that led rescuers to Nou just after 1 a.m. Friday.She said Nou was using the iPod as a source of light because he didn't have a flashlight.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if an ipod's back lighting is useful, i wonder how useful will even 1 5mm white led with good real mcd rating do.

mudhole

Newly Enlightened
they are pretty bright they can screw up your night vision if your eyes are adjusted to the dark.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
To heck with carrying bulky survival gear, just get an IPod and all your worries are gone!:crackup:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now they have a backlight adjustment. How many people will have to die lost in the woods before the word gets out that you can make the screen BRIGHTER by adjusting the backlight setting.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is just such a good idea to ask from your parent an ipod!
i will not get lost in the woods, if i got an ipod. :p :p

well, you can lie to your wallet too.

but then, i rather ask for a flashlight...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
my 30GB vid got stolen, and Im getting another soon.. yes they are very useful, although I think I would rather have my M3 with me than an Ipod in the middle of the woods... little use would the lyrics of U2 and Red hot chili peppers when Im many miles from anyone...

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
Believe it or not, I've spotted joggers in the park from almost 1/4 mile away becuase their ipods were so bright.

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I was wondering if they saw it with some NV, through NV that thing would be very bright from along way away.?

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's a disappointment!

Better than nothing but still limited.

Now it raises the point as to how long should en EDC run for? I use to feel great about an hour, now it may not be long enought

Latest posts