Short Take On Fenix From A Bit Of A Flashlight Snob

cslinger

Enlightened
Ok so I have resisted buying any Fenix products for quite some time and I admit I am a bit of a flashlight snob with Surefire and HDS being tops for me. That being said I kind of wanted a nice single AA light that I could use with utter abandon due to either rechargeables or simply cheap AA batteries. This would be my around the house beater light so to speak.............and I just wanted another friggen light but I digres. :D

So I ordered a Fenix L1T and LOP-SE and well......color me impressed. Decent build quality, plenty bright, smooth operation, both were much smaller then I had imagined and both are easy to use.

The L1T is perfect for what I wanted it for and I have only a single nit-pick...low could be a bit lower but that is just being picky. For the money this is a fantastic light.

The LOP-SE may have just ended my search for the perfect keychain light. I have been hunting for something that suited my needs for a long time and the closest thing has been the Peak Matterhorn that my wife confiscated.

The LOP is very easy to use much easer then I thought it would be. Low is plenty useable and about like a standard Peak or Arc AAA. Medium, where the light starts off is very nice and plenty useable and high is just crazy for such a tiny light running on an akalin AAA battery. I mean WOW.

So as for my first impressions these are mighty fine lights and my initial exposure has pretty much guaranteed that a P1D-CREE is in my future when they are released.

The HDS will still be my primary carry light but these Fenix lights are damn good for the money.

My two cents.

Chris

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Another convert ... welcome aboard Chris! :rock:

I, too, would like to check out the Surefire and HDS products as i'm sure they are great ... but i'm relatively poor and I have to spend my money on things like the mortgage and my children's future and all that nice stuff ... so Fenix has been my panacea.

Plus, my wife would absolutely kill me if I purchased a Kroma ... that's why the cree revolution is so exciting for me. I can explore the option of giving lights as gifts and/or for personal use. Already have a l2p and a l0p-se and it's just getting started.

I'm sure that 4sevens is rubbing his hands together reading all this Fenix-centered stuff lately.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the Fenix world. I think thet put magic powder on their lights. I also enjoy my surefire, streamlight and mag lights.

jayhackett03

Enlightened
yeah, i'm very new to the Fenix lights. i have a L1P and i love it. my friends are VERY impressed with it also. "how do they get a light so bright from something so small?"

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, Fenix is starting to look a little like Toyota did when it started out in the US, i.e. the company that will change the way people think about a nation's products (Chinese flashlights, Japanese cars..). They are smart and agile and make an excellent product for the price. And it's early yet, but maybe Lumapower is going to be the next Honda...

And Surefire is like Mercedes, who had nothing to worry about until Toyota decided to start making Lexuses...

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's kinda an apt comparison, nerdgineer :)

There have been many discussions on Chinese products and speculations on their future; Once they get their quality up and yet maintaining reasonable prices, they are certainly not to be ignored in an economic sense. Already, they are a presence.

Lumapower does seem to be the Honda of the flashlight world; but I'm sure Fenix can come up with its own Supra while Lumapower may not be able to match with its NSX. At the moment, the Lumapower DX2 (not sure if that's the right model, I'm talking about the rather big light with a turbo head and K2/LuxV option) looks like its gonna be a great light for the price.

It might be similar to a Surefire/KT + Arcmania Tower Module (of which either the KT or the module itself already cost more than the DX2) which will make it a real winner. Throwy spot and yet a super big and useable spillbeam.

I think it'll be exciting to see Fenix making some 'turbo' lights :)

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I think its safe to say that CPFers know a good light for the money when they see one. All this hoopla over Fenix is merited.