Just how good is Yahoo?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Most search engines are pretty smart. If you misspell a search request, they will suggest the correct spelling if you want to try that instead.

vaccum.gif

But not Yahoo. If you misspell "vacuum", it suggests the spelling "vaccum" instead.

leddite

Enlightened
on a guess, instead of relying on a spell checker, they are actually using some algorithm to find a *for sure* result from their database...

so if you are looking for "motenga foobar" and the engine finds even a single entry for "moteng foobar", it'll probably suggest that, instead of constraining you to "correctly spelled" word (hey, which language?"

just a guess

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yahoo is powered by Google. Google is the best search engine in the world. Yahoo might not be operating exactly like google does. For great searches without all the advertising check out...

http://www.google.com

Have a nice day
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Your search - motenga foobar - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:

* Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
* Try different keywords.
* Try more general keywords.
* Try fewer keywords.
Also, you can try Google Answers for expert help with your search.

Saaby

Flashaholic
and?? Google is the only search engine that usually (LIke 99.9% of the time) gives me relavent results. Did you try clicking the "groups" tab?

Edit:
motenga foobar turned 0 results on the folowing...

Google
Yahoo
Lycos
Alta Vista
eBay

While something as obscure as "Swingline 545" returned 76 results and took about 0.07 seonds. Ok that's only somewhat obscure, but you get the picture
grin.gif

I'd say it's a nonexistant item
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

actually you can find 'foobar' and 'motenga' as separate words -- and theoretically, there could be a Motenga in the Foobar.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Saaby:
Yahoo is powered by Google. Google is the best search engine in the world. Yahoo might not be operating exactly like google does. For great searches without all the advertising check out...

http://www.google.com

Have a nice day
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yahoo used to powered by Google, but it isn't any longer. In fact, it technically isn't even a search engine; it is a directory. Quoting from TechTV's site, "Yahoo! isn't a true search engine, it's an Internet directory. Internet directories hire people to group all submitted sites into categories, such as San Francisco restaurants."

My point being Yahoo isn't as good as Google anymore because they have gone their separate ways.

Pat

P.S. So I'm with Saaby on this one, Google is great.
grin.gif

leddite

Enlightened
gosh, you guys are literal :>

it was a fictional example, and of course y'all went and tried it
wink.gif

vulcans, why did it have to be vulcans? :}

mcjamison

Newly Enlightened
treek13, perhaps you're confusing Google with whoever Yahoo was using previously? Yahoo's search results still show "powered by Google" at this very moment, though Yahoo also searches their own directory, and presents those results (if any) under "Web Sites" (as well as sponsored matches, etc.), before showing Google's results under the category "Web Pages".

So while Yahoo is still an "Internet directory" (as they were from the beginning), they now function as a search engine as well, by contracting with Google.

Google indeed produces great results - though I know some folks who are boycotting them because they aren't accepting any firearms-related sponsored links.

-- J

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget that Google license out their search engine technology to other sites, so "Powered by Google" means that the site may be using the Google search engine technology, but not necessarily accessing the Google database of internet sites. It is not uncommon for sites to license Google for indexing and searching of their own site content.

Graham

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If you go on Google and type in "vaccume cleaner", the first thing it does is print

"Are you sure you didn't mean vacuum cleaner?".

Yahoo simply suggested another misspelling, rather than suggesting the correct spelling.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
and if you really want to test this, pick out some offbeat, arcane & ludicrus subject and see which "search engine" serves up the content... proof is in the pudding.

Cutter

Enlightened
The people have spoken....Google rocks. And by the way, where did you guys find my father Mr. Motenga Foo bar? I've been searching for him for years. Dad....if you can read this....it's your son....I miss you.

Sincerely,
Candy Foo Bar (Candy means "stud" in Foobarian)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Google does indeed rock. You can pretty much count on finding what you're looking for. Quickly and accurately. Yahoo $uck$. Apparently, they don't care who spams using their e-mail. I must admit Hotmail (who I use) isn't just a whole lot better. If I don't quit getting crap from those jackasses, I'm considering blocking all messages ending in @yahoo.com. Thanks for letting me vent.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Psst Virgo...a little place called MyRealBox is calling your name.

I know some folks who are boycotting them because they aren't accepting any firearms-related sponsored links.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Fools. Would you boycott your water company if they wouldn't put any firearms advertising on their bill envelopes? Ok so that's a little silly the point I am making is cutting yourself off from Google is just, well, dumb.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree, Google is the best but its also worth trying dogpile, it runs your search on about ten well known search engines (including AltaVista, Direct Hit, Looksmart and About)

Give it a try, and see what you think :

www.dogpile.com

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I always liked Dogpile, too. Used them until I was informed about Google. Google even has a little toolbar that can be installed or uninstalled on your computer for immediate searches.
Thanks Saaby. I did a Google search and found it right away. Sounds promising.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used c4 untill Google bought it. It was a mega-search engine. I will try the Dogpile.