Surefire E1L tailcap problem....

clipse

Enlightened
I just got my E1L yesterday and last night my tailcap stopped clicking. (its the clickie switch) I sent Surefire an email, and I'm sure they will take care of me. I was just wondering if this is common on the surefire tailcaps.

clipse

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I messed up a clickie switch on an E1L once when I dropped it and it hit the pavement tail first. I sent Surefire an email and they mailed me a replacement tailcap in a few days. Replacement tailcap has had no issues whatsoever.

Having said that, that is why I personally prefer the old twisty switch on the E-series to the newer clickies. My older E2e with the twisty switch has had no reliability issues whatsoever, and I have carried it with me for several years. Of course, YMMV.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
clipse said:
I just got my E1L yesterday and last night my tailcap stopped clicking. (its the clickie switch) I sent Surefire an email, and I'm sure they will take care of me. I was just wondering if this is common on the surefire tailcaps.

clipse
Unfortunately, yes! The z57 has had some problems to say the least. I'm sure Surefire will send you a new one, though. My E1L did the same and I received a new one the other day.
The new generation is made with different materials than the older ones and the action feels quite a bit better!

Last edited:

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, the clickie tailcaps on the E series seem to have a fairly high rate of failure. I have had a couple stop working right after purchase as well. If you email Surefire, you should get a replacement within a week or so no questions asked (I did).

However, while you are waiting:whistle: ....look at the end of the tailcap between the metal and the rubber boot, you will see two slots opposite one another. Using a small pliers (I use my Leatherman) insert the tips of the pliers into those slots and "unscrew" that ring. This will allow you to disassemble the tailcap and get at the switch. From there, spend some time tinkering with the switch (some on this forum have found luck lubricating it). I simply tinkered with one for a while including adjusting the metal tabs in the switch and it now works better than any of my other SF clickies.

Check around the forum, there are pix and suggestions...you are not the only one to have this happen.

Good luck!!

Harry

Newly Enlightened
I bought an E1L 2 weeks ago and my Z57 stopped working as well. I found information on how to repair it in LitFuse's post of 9/21/03 and a picture of the switch taken apart in Nekomane's post of 10/5/06. The suggested repair instructions seem to work for my switch problems.

Harry

iamerror

Enlightened
Failures do seem to be common with Surefire clicky switches. I had a E2E switch fail on me. I actually started counting posts I find about Surefire tailcap failures (I started a thread about this a while ago). I have found 220 different members that have had a problem with at least one of their tailcaps. It seems to be a high number for a forum like this.

clipse

Enlightened
True. I emailed surefire very early in the morning yesterday. I still have not heard anything back from them. Thats kinda strange. Usually they are really on the ball. I'll call them if I don't get anything by noon.

I may try to correct the problem my self. I'll try taking it apart after I talk to them.

clipse

carrot

Flashaholic
After I took my z57 apart and fixed it (also removed some lube from the tailcap's inner workings), I haven't had a problem since. This is hundreds, maybe thousands of clicks later...

clipse

Enlightened
I contacted Surefire over the phone. I explained what was going on and they are shipping a new tailcap to me. I have disassembled the tailcap and it looks like the plunger(thing that is the contact on the two tabs) is getting stuck. The plastic on the inside feels kinda rough with pushing the plunger up. I'll try to find some way of smoothing it out. I did remove some grease and it is better but not 100%.

I also ordered a McClicky from lighthound. So, I'll see how the new surefire tailcap works.

clipse

Last edited:

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Bottom line...for a well designed light, they are really blowing it on the tailcap switch, the z57 is a piece of garbage. I really wish they would go back to offering a twisty!:mad:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
clipse said:
I have disassembled the tailcap and it looks like the plunger(thing that is the contact on the two tabs) is getting stuck. The plastic on the inside feels kinda rough with pushing the plunger up. I'll try to find some way of smoothing it out. I did remove some grease and it is better but not 100%.

clipse

Hello clipse:)

You can add a spacer between the 2 plastic pieces, made of a thick piece of paper. Then remove all the sticky grease with alcohol or epoxy-cleaner. After that I added "White lightning" from a bike-store (wax based lubricant) inside the switch, to all parts including the "ball-pen-mechanism".
Now it works extremly smooth and perfect.

Best regards

_____
Tom