3rd World radioTelephone installer- cpfmember?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I saw you mention your occupation in a post but I can't find it!
I need advice on a radio connection, to replace the 150' wire that goes to the phone co,'s pole-- from my phone ..
There is a possibility I may have to go further if I can't place the equipment on Verizon's pole - I may have to establish a number at a neighbor's house and install the equipment there - -apx. 2000 feet. away..can you help?
Thanks.
(I will delete this..)

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Private equipment may not be placed on utility poles without prior permission. When a pole is shared, there are agreememts between them to pay a fee for use of another company's pole. eg. electric wires on a telephone pole and/or cable company. You use, you pay.
In South Florida, the electric poles are cut at an angle at the top and the telco's are cut flat. Why? Who knows but one can tell who owns what.

Signed: An ex-network telco worker. Now a telco cube dweller. :-(

D

**DONOTDELETE**

riiiiiiiiinnnnnng!
.riiiiiiiiinnnnng!
riiiiiiiiiiinnnnng!???

I guess you just have to wait for the telephone guy, everywhere...:>)

(sunspot, doan worry abowd Verizon, we got them taken care of! kapisch?)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yeah, Verison is too busy chasing Phreaks named Phread (
wink.gif
) off their payphones.

And you thought 2600 was just 1300 times 2.

Disclaimer: Don't worry, to date Saaby hasn't done anything illegal involving telephones, and doesn't plan to.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

don't get the wrong idea I'm not trying to steal anything! I have perfectly legal phone service now -- there is just a slight possibility, that in the future, a wire over certain private property will have to be -- moved. So it isn't a Verizon problem..in fact verizon has been very cooperative...
ahh..2600..it's been a long time..talk about carpe diem..
wink.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I deal with Verizon (GTE) on a daily basis. Nice people there that I deal with. I also yak with Altell, Amritech, Sprint, Global crossing, Quest and others. Is the 2600 that old way to make free calls? Pre-84, I could hack into AT&T trunks from a central office but thats wayover along with the 2600 fr.
Ted, if the telco installed your wire it should have a legal easement to do so over privite property. How about you get some 5 pair 24awg buried drop wire and put it in the ground? 900 ft to a roll, 17,500 to a pallet.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

rolleyes.gif

repeat;
need a telephone transmitter and receiver, would be nice if it could handle the computer as well as voice. at least 2000 foot range, almost line of sight..AC available both locations...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

rrrrriiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnng!!!!!!!
..hello?
coughcoughbumpcough...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

sunspot; re the buried cable; that wouldn't solve the problem..we may need to make the cable disappear -- maybe not it depends -- i want to be prepared..so far
I got a phone # and address for a American Communication Specialtiesin Cincinnati, I have not contacted them yet - no web presence I can find --ever hear of them -- they may make exactly what I need..
In fact I call them now...

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, this is probably a bit over the top, but...

Since you have AC...

Get a phone line with DSL. Run the analog signal into a voice over IP gateway, then shove the whole data path into a homebrew laser modem (over PPP):

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:gR6dHe-DbFoC:atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/ronja/+ronja&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

On the other side, decode and drop it on a LAN, place a voice over IP phone or two on the net and there you go.

-john

I haven't looked for a roll your own voice over IP, but you probably can find one. If not you could still use a product either professional, or some consumer based thing like net2phone.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ted. Congrats. I was thinking of 2 GHz but I did not think they had the range (2,000ft). Wrong-ola. Great find.